Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I know how to solder. The folks boiler has a 2" T fitting that is leaking. I'm not sure how to go about repairing this leak. The original solder job was not cleanly done and there's some sizable globs of solder all around it. I'd rather not have to disassemble the whole thing and re-solder new copper.

My first thought was to get some of that solder soaker and try to soak up as much solder around the joint as I can, but I'm not sure how to get flux into the joint to draw in the new solder, unless maybe I use acid-core solder.

What's the most reliable way of repairing this leak and are there any solder recommendations?

Will post photo in a few minutes...

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/02/22.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I’d say you have to take it apart and re-solder. How do you plan on getting the water out of the pipes?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heat it up and take it apart. No need for new copper, just clean up the old and re-solder. There's a tool called a solder sucker you can use if you can't let it drip. If you can get a piece of cardboard under it, just let it drip on it. Cut it out to fit the area underneath including right around the pipe.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not aware of a shortcut for your situation and since you're going to have to drain the system to a level below the tee to solder - might as well do it right and disassemble it.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hanco would be getting a PM from me.

He might see the thread and jump in.

Without someone like him telling me different,
I'm with Pocono Jack.

The hard way is often the only way.
The easy way is going the right way first, not later.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The leaking joint is the one on the horizontal plane on the right side of the "T"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It looks like somebody has already tried to fix it without taking it apart, so you see how that works...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I was going to drain the system and then hope that the heat of the torch would dry things out, but I understand that I may have to disassemble everything. I don't want to remove the gauge from the T if I can help it.

- Del Gue
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A properly soldered joint should never leak.

Yours has failed and needs to be redone correctly. An attempt to fix in place by weeping flux/solder in the T is going to fail sooner than later if you even get it to hold.

Depending on how it’s plumbed in you may be able to drain enough water to unsweat the fitting and clean and reuse but I’d get yourself a new T and a few no stop couplings and redo it right

*just saw your pic… cut it out and replace the T. If you know how to solder that’s a fairly straightforward repair

Last edited by Certifiable; 10/02/22.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Drain it, heat it up, pull it apart, clean it up, resolder, and forget about it for another 20+ years

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Well, I was going to drain the system and then hope that the heat of the torch would dry things out, but I understand that I may have to disassemble everything. I don't want to remove the gauge from the T if I can help it.

That gauge is the first thing I'd take off.

The opening would be a great steam release while you are repairing the pipe.
With water residual in the pipe the steam it may create can easily cause a leak while your attempting to heat the pipe and fitting during repair.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I give it a 98% chance of leaking again if you don't take it apart and clean and flux it. I could be wrong, but 25+ years as a plumber gives me a pretty strong hunch.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Certifiable
A properly soldered joint should never leak.

Meebe so, but this one is 70 years old.

- Del Gue
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I give it a 98% chance of leaking again if you don't take it apart and clean and flux it. I could be wrong, but 25+ years as a plumber gives me a pretty strong hunch.

I don't know....only 25 years?

Maybe we need a second opinion.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That picture tells me that was an OMG amateur repair!
Take it apart, and do it right - is my advice.
Anything else will just make things worse, Kevin.

Looks to me like the previous repair was done without draining the water out, cleaning up, and going through the whole procedure to get it right.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Is there anywhere else to install the gauge?
If so cut that tee out and reinstall 2 -45's or a street and a regular. (unless you have a little pc o 2" copper )
Then you could use a new tee and a coupling.
Looks like the copper is a little corroded,make sure it is clean.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think Dad must have done that repair years and years ago, 'cause that's what he wants me to do again. I'm sure I'll end up taking it all apart.

The reason it looks corroded is due to some very old insulation that adhered to the copper. I cleaned it all off with a wire brush on a drill.

I'm reasonably sure I can figure out a different place for the gauge.

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/02/22.

- Del Gue
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tire inner tube and a hose clamp.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by rong
Is there anywhere else to install the gauge?
If so cut that tee out and reinstall 2 -45's or a street and a regular. (unless you have a little pc o 2" copper )
Then you could use a new tee and a coupling.
Looks like the copper is a little corroded,make sure it is clean.
Don't need to cut the gauge out - it's in a threaded adapter.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just found another leak. Whoever did these repairs did a piss-poor job. This other joint doesn't even look like it was soldered:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

- Del Gue
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (afisher, arky65, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.