Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#17659660 10/02/22
D
Dinny Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Is it a suitable lubricant for cold weather rifle (bolt, firing pin and spring) applications? If not, what else works better when the mercury drops?

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kroil has a large following in Alaska as a super penetrating oil, especially in the aviation industry.
But it's not highly regarded as either a lubricant nor rust preventative.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Kroil is NOT in any shape or form a lubricant. Poor some on a patch and see how hard it is to get down the barrel.
For cold you're better off with something that dries, Prolix for example.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
0W20 motor oil works fine.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Hot Shot for rust prevention good. A test was posted some time back showing different products used for rust prevention and it came out on top. Might can Google it and see.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Have used Lock Eze for years on the firing pins and springs on cold weather guns. Works great! -Al

Forbidden Zoner
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Eez-Ox or Tetra-Gun spray lube on bolt-action internals and semi-auto shotguns here in ND.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 458Win
Kroil has a large following in Alaska as a super penetrating oil, especially in the aviation industry.
But it's not highly regarded as either a lubricant nor rust preventative.

And not just in Alaska. Love Kroil for its' intended purpose.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Hornady One Shot CL for trigger assembly and Eezox for everything else. One Shot dries to a dry film that does not attract dust/moisture. Great for extremely hot and extremely cold environments, plus it is one of the best rust preventatives on the market.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
D
Dinny Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for all the input. I'll keep Kroil around for penetrating work. I have some Eez-Ox and will give it a try.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Kroil's stink would alert every critter in the woods to your presence, it would be the last thing I'd ever think of using.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Dinny, a product called Free All Penetrating oil is much more advanced than Kroil and I have used Kroil for 30+ years. To say that it is impressive in the use of rusted on bolts, truck and car front ends, old cars with rusted on bolts...you just have to see it to believe it. Free All also works well in penetrating hard caked on Carbon in barrels.

Postage if real inexpensive from the company, and use the arrow in the drop down box to get the 14 oz non aerosol can:

https://fedpro.com/products/free-all%C2%AE-deep-penetrating-oil
I am in no way associated with the Free All company or any representative that works for the company. My brother owns a huge tire store and an old mechanic told him about the Free All. Since they are involved in re building front ends on vehicles, they learn in a hurry what works on rusted on bolts.

As far as a lubricating oil and something to use in protecting blued finishes on guns, there was a test done a while back with most if not all of the oils on steel left exposed over time to the elements. This extensive test really put to shame MOST of the claims made by companies and reduced their advertising to nothing more than Snake Oil salesmanship.

My own personal favorite did not fare so well, and I have been buying eexox in the quart metal cans.

Two winners of the rust prevention were clear:

A. Hornady one shot
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014743671?pid=170954

B. Frog Lube
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3225314758?pid=314758

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3225134961?pid=660304

These two lubes far exceeded ALL other brands of oil when it came to preventing rust.

So, I bought 4 cans of the Hornady. Being a Doubting Thomas, I sprayed down a 12ga single barrel Rossi shot gun, left if for 30 days in my hay barn that has large open doors on it, here in the South with all of it's humidity. 30 days later, no rust, 60 and 90 days later, still no rust. 6 months later, still no rust and I brought the gun back in the house.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by keith
Dinny, a product called Free All Penetrating oil is much more advanced than Kroil and I have used Kroil for 30+ years. To say that it is impressive in the use of rusted on bolts, truck and car front ends, old cars with rusted on bolts...you just have to see it to believe it. Free All also works well in penetrating hard caked on Carbon in barrels.

Postage if real inexpensive from the company, and use the arrow in the drop down box to get the 14 oz non aerosol can:

https://fedpro.com/products/free-all%C2%AE-deep-penetrating-oil
I am in no way associated with the Free All company or any representative that works for the company. My brother owns a huge tire store and an old mechanic told him about the Free All. Since they are involved in re building front ends on vehicles, they learn in a hurry what works on rusted on bolts.

As far as a lubricating oil and something to use in protecting blued finishes on guns, there was a test done a while back with most if not all of the oils on steel left exposed over time to the elements. This extensive test really put to shame MOST of the claims made by companies and reduced their advertising to nothing more than Snake Oil salesmanship.

My own personal favorite did not fare so well, and I have been buying eexox in the quart metal cans.

Two winners of the rust prevention were clear:

A. Hornady one shot
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014743671?pid=170954

B. Frog Lube
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3225314758?pid=314758

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3225134961?pid=660304

These two lubes far exceeded ALL other brands of oil when it came to preventing rust.

So, I bought 4 cans of the Hornady. Being a Doubting Thomas, I sprayed down a 12ga single barrel Rossi shot gun, left if for 30 days in my hay barn that has large open doors on it, here in the South with all of it's humidity. 30 days later, no rust, 60 and 90 days later, still no rust. 6 months later, still no rust and I brought the gun back in the house.
Good info on the one shot. Now just don't mistake that with their case lube.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Kroll's is great to loosen rust on any metal that's about all its good for....you want to help prevent rust and lub parts use BrakeFree CLP....been using it since the mid-80's when I picked up a gallon....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Eezox is great for cold temps and as a corrosion inhibitor. I like dry lubes for the inside of my bolts.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the rust preventatives I've used with great success here in Montana is Dyna-Tek Gun Shield--a dry, clear coating from the same company that developed Dyna-Tek Bore Coat, often called DBC. Gun Shield is a similar silica-based formula, and when applied to warmed metal results in an extremely thin coating that both lubes moving parts but also protects blued steel from rusting for at least a year or two before needing to be reapplied.

Before Gun Shield I used oils like Frog Lube and Break-Free, and they worked, but needed reapplying pretty frequently. It's available from MidwayUSA.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An old gunsmith living in our north states cold weather used ATF on everything. His point? "How many automatic transmissions have you heard freezing up." I've used it in cold weather rather than removing all lubricants for a cold weather hunt and it works.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My go- to for many years of hunting seriously wet climates like Kodiak and the Alaskan peninsula has been Corrosion X. I have yet to find anything better .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just started using Clenzoil products on my shotguns, oil and grease. The attraction is that they claim it won’t harm wood, similar to Ballistol. We shall see. It is pretty thin compared to other CLPs. I need to put some in the freezer to see how it fares there.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
We used Kroil as a cutting lubricant in The Machine Shop I worked in.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (22kHornet, 160user, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 06hunter59, 35 invisible), 1,400 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,096
Posts18,522,196
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.