-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I despise hoods - except on an insulated puffer or rain jacket. Count me in the hood camp.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by Nashville
Down - hood
Synthetic - no hood

Nash, curious on your reasoning here?

It’s just kind of happened over time unintentionally but I’ve realized I only use my down puffies when it’s really cold in which I’m usually in high winds or glassing and want the utmost warmth.

My synthetic puffies are used more like a sweater. Worn in cool weather as an outer layer and layered under a shell(hooded), a down puffy(hooded), or both when cold.

Too many hoods becomes a PITA.

Pitter Patter!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Down - hood
Synthetic - no hood

Nash, curious on your reasoning here?

It’s just kind of happened over time unintentionally but I’ve realized I only use my down puffies when it’s really cold in which I’m usually in high winds or glassing and want the utmost warmth.

My synthetic puffies are used more like a sweater. Worn in cool weather as an outer layer and layered under a shell(hooded), a down puffy(hooded), or both when cold.

Too many hoods becomes a PITA.

Gotcha, and yes more than one hood is too many.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I always thought the poofy WAS the outer layer.....

It could be but mine isn't water or wind proof like my outer

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by tedthorn

I say 99.9% of the time it is. If you wear a layer over a poofy, it has to be extra big like a set of overwhites, otherwise you are smooshing your poofy and we all know that is a no-no. That would be a rare, rare occasion for me.

Last edited by Akbob5; 10/06/22.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I hate hoods. Without!!

I can see the use in extreme cold but I seldom go below about 5 degrees F so they're not necessary for me.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like one with a hood, so if I get cold sleeping in my quilt, I put it on, and the hood really helps. It saves me weight by serving a dual purpose of sleeping and outerwear.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
With hood, likes been said if it's cold enough for a puffy I want to be able to cover my bald head. Plus some of my hunting is in the back country sleeping in a tent or truck camping sleeping in my truck and that hood is much appreciated when the temps drop.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I too am a "hood hater"....until I need one. Like one of our favorite sayings in the gun world, "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". The extra weight is negligible for the benefit it provides. Heck, one can now buy a lightweight wool shirt with a hood such that it is pretty much unnoticeable. Go that route and get a hoodless puffy. To me, two of the best "puffies" out there are the Kifaru LPP and the First Lite Chamberlin and they come with hoods. I know I may be stating the obvious; but, from my perspective, a hood isn't for keeping the head warm, although it does do that. It is for keeping the entire body warm by completely eliminating the neck draft. I too hate the affect the hood has on my peripheral vision and on my hearing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like one when it’s real cold or raining

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I too am a "hood hater"....until I need one. Like one of our favorite sayings in the gun world, "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". The extra weight is negligible for the benefit it provides. Heck, one can now buy a lightweight wool shirt with a hood such that it is pretty much unnoticeable. Go that route and get a hoodless puffy. To me, two of the best "puffies" out there are the Kifaru LPP and the First Lite Chamberlin and they come with hoods. I know I may be stating the obvious; but, from my perspective, a hood isn't for keeping the head warm, although it does do that. It is for keeping the entire body warm by completely eliminating the neck draft. I too hate the affect the hood has on my peripheral vision and on my hearing.

The very useful shemag eliminates the neck draft.

Puffies are good.

Hood on a waterproof parka.

Usually a soft shell w/hood or a hooded PreCip jacket, one or more balaclavas, HotCheeks face cover, watch cap, etc. manage to show up at tailgate loadout.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Without a doubt, for me, it's with a hood. If it's cold enough that I need a down puffy, then I want a hood, too.
Me too. a hood is great when its cold outside.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Depends. But honestly unless it's for super cold weather (firstlite chamberlin) I don't know that it matters too much. Personal preference.

I mostly want a hood on my cold weather stuff. But its far from a deal breaker for me. I have /use both.

Last edited by cwh2; 10/08/22.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Hood

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hood.

This is the backpacking forum, so I assume you’re talking about backpack trips.

So definitely, hood.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Originally Posted by tedthorn

I say 99.9% of the time it is. If you wear a layer over a poofy, it has to be extra big like a set of overwhites, otherwise you are smooshing your poofy and we all know that is a no-no. That would be a rare, rare occasion for me.

My windproof waterproof outer is lose to allow my puffy underneath

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Hoods are invaluable in cold weather. There is alot to be said for keeping your neck covered.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like a hood. If I'm not using the hood, many times I'll tuck it down on the inside of the puffy so it's out of the way.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
On backpacking trips I usually take 3 jackets; a puffy (either a thin one for milder temps, or a thick one for cold weather), a soft-shell and an uninsulated rain jacket. The soft-shell gets the most use so it has a hood. I wear a beanie under the hood if I need more head warmth. Of course the rain jacket has a hood. Given that the soft-shell and the rain jacket have hoods already, I don't use a puffy with a hood. Three hoods on at one time is jut too many. Of course others approach the problem differently so actual solutions will be different. This is just what works for me.

I rarely wear a hood when I'm moving, or the puffy for that matter, I overheat way too quickly and sweating sucks when it's cold. When I stop I throw the puffy on and then I'm glad to have the hood. I guess it depends on your layering system though. Like previously stated, too many hoods sucks. If your mid layer and outer layer have hoods, you probably don't need one with your puffy.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 15 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,491
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.