Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
Hey, not trying to get into the debate of whether these two are big enough for deer hunting, but for those of you with real world experiences with both calibers, is there enough of a difference between the two to pick one over the other? I have a tikka .223 that shoots like most tikka rifles-just wondering if it’s worth the effort to sell after the season and replace it with a 22-250? Shots will mostly be 200 yards or less on hogs and deer. Our West Texas near rarely break 150 pounds

Not what you asked (in typical Campfire tradition....) but it seems like a 6mm Creedmoor is about perfect for that role. You also pick up the ability to use good factory ammo if you aren't into handloading the long .224 pills. If it's got to be .224, then I'd go 22-250.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Is a 1-12 twist 22-250 (Remington 700) too slow to stabilize the Barnes tsx 62 gr?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ladies,

Bullets matter wayyyyyyy more than headstamps. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

RPM,throat geometry and COAL aligns all. I've got/shot EVERY chambering and projectile thus far cited and a LOT that haven't. Hint.

I'd rather have a 7" RPM 223 squirting 88 ELD's at 2.50" COAL,than any 22-250 SALAMI(which I own in 7,8,9,10 and 14" RPM). Hint.

The 62 TSX is certainly viable and longer than the Dog Schit 69 SMK,so it requires more RPM and is No Joy in a 12" '250 SALAMI. They are side by each in this frame. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Pass the 88 ELD,it's .545 BC and hold The Fluff. Hint.

7" RPM 223 SALAMI Hawk Hill here. Hint.

Just sayin',but I simply shoot it all and then some.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Ladies,

Bullets matter wayyyyyyy more than headstamps. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

RPM,throat geometry and COAL aligns all. I've got/shot EVERY chambering and projectile thus far cited and a LOT that haven't. Hint.

I'd rather have a 7" RPM 223 squirting 88 ELD's at 2.50" COAL,than any 22-250 SALAMI(which I own in 7,8,9,10 and 14" RPM). Hint.

The 62 TSX is certainly viable and longer than the Dog Schit 69 SMK,so it requires more RPM and is No Joy in a 12" '250 SALAMI. They are side by each in this frame. Hint.

Pass the 88 ELD,it's .545 BC and hold The Fluff. Hint.

7" RPM 223 SALAMI Hawk Hill here. Hint.

Just sayin',but I simply shoot it all and then some.

Hint...............
Sticking a bullet in the killzone matters even way more than bullets or headstamps.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sweetheart,

Terminal Effects are factored thusly:

1) Placement
2) Projectile selection
3) Headstamp

Now even someone as fhuqking STUPID as you "knows". Hint.

#2 will greatly enhance the ability to arrange #1. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good god damn, it not even worth the talk. How bout, 308 vs 300 prc??? That’s bout it.. use your head for more than a hat rack stud. 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hey why not argue 223/22-250 vs 243/257 Roberts? Or Hah! 243 vs. 257!

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Getting the 10 year old out deer hunting this week has me thinking a fast twist 223 is the way to go for little ones first hunting experience. Even the mini grendel in an lss chassis with 129s made him a bit shy off the bench because the magpul stock just had that thin piece of hard truck tire pad on it. I bought some limbsavers for both the 6.5g mini in an lss and the 700 243 youth in an lss but the kid still just wants to use my 16" lightweight ar.

I was about to call northland and order a 7 twist 16.5" sporter criterion remage with the match 223 chamber. Then I walked into a gun store and saw something I hadn't seen before. It was a CZ 600 trail in 223 with a 16 plus change inch 7 twist barrel and a collapsible stock with 3 or 4 different length knotches. Weighs about 6 pounds which isn't bad but 5 would be better for kids. It takes AR mags though and has a decent trigger

It seems pricey for what it is and I kept thinking I'd be better off just building lightweight AR's for each kid. I checked gunbroker and most of these CZs were about $1200 there. This shop had it new for $869 so I took a chance bought it.

I got it home and looked through my scope pile for something not too heavy and found a 2nd gen weaver grand slam 3-12x40. That gives the kids the ability to go down to 3 so they can "find the deer" through the scope yet enough power on the other end to keep them practicing on varmints.

I used to always put a leupold 6x42 on kids first guns because the were light, had the most forgiving eyebox, and had no parallax, target knobs, or even power rings for kids to get distracted by. That strategy worked well for my nephews so I might need to go back to it.

L,ast night I put the 3-12 grandslam on it and it looks decent on there. I proudly brought the new little gun out and showed the kids today and they all said wow that's cool, but I'd rather just use the AR.

So I'll go see how this cz shoots but may end up selling it soon so let me know if anyone wants a cz600 trail for $869. I like the ar mag compatability but even my favorite asc mags only give me 2.3. Building my own remage would have let me modify the mag box giving me room for 88s.

Still wondering about the 7 twist 223 match criterion at 16.5"remage. Chop an inch or so off an old first gen ti stock I've got in the parts box and put a 6x42 on it.
Might have to look at another companies remage offerings and see if they'll turn one in a mtn contour. A 16.5" mtn on a 12.5" lop 1st gen ti stock might make a good deer gun for a 10 year old. Whatever it takes to get kids loving trigger time seems pretty key and they've never complained about anything 223.

Bb

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by hanco
Just a little more range with the 22-250, get a 22-250. You can have both. I load 62 grain Bear claws for both. I’ve never shot a deer with either, but many pigs, some in excess of 200 lbs. They both bust through both shoulders at 200 yards and keep going.

Good info.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
28 inch 6x6 Muley taken with a 22 - 250 about 200 yds through a thin bit of brush. 60 gr Hornady Interlock. I like the 60 gr NP loaded by Federal but they were $60/box vs $20 for Hornady. I just usually go with the Hornady for coyotes, deer - if I'm mainly quail hunting, hogs, brown crows, ....

I would have no qualms about shooting a bull elk through the ribs with it. I knew a guy in CO who's killed quite a few elk with the same. Says he's shot some out to 400 yds. I'd be pretty concerned about wind drift.

In fact, using either you ought to do some 200 yd 15 - 20 mph crosswind target shooting. That's another reason for the 22 250.

I've killed several W Tails with the 223 iirc some with the Hornady and some with 55 gr Win SP.

I have considered using the 223 sneaking through thick mesquite bowls for mule deer because of the AR platform.

Don't know if that would be a good idea or not. In fact, if I had a gun bearer to carry a rifle in that situation, I'm not sure a 12g semiautomatic with 00 Buck wouldn't be a bad idea.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/09/22.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Both will work, but ONLY with 1:2" twist and, if equipped with a scope that weighs as much as the rifle and has a 60mm objective.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Is anyone making the 1:8 twist anymore?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Sweetheart,

Terminal Effects are factored thusly:

1) Placement
2) Projectile selection
3) Headstamp

Now even someone as fhuqking STUPID as you "knows". Hint.

#2 will greatly enhance the ability to arrange #1. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Stumpy,

does EVERYONE else in Buttfudk Alaska have the level of social skills you do?

You're still the best entertainment value of the www....

" READ that AGAIN... Then ONE MORE time... and finally a Third time, just so your two working brain cells can comprehend that... maybe.. if you haven't been boozing all night and have left the bong alone this morning".. If not I am sure Hutch can explain it all to you in a way you can figure out.

Have a great day Gilligan. Sure hope you don't fall asleep after lunch and fall out of your high chair like last week...

Hutch posted that, with pictures last week... Gotta admit, Moe, Larry or Curly, nor Stan and Ollie have anything on your talents to make an audience laugh....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shefire,

There's zero need to reiterate that you are an Opiate Addled Brokedick CLUELESS Fhuqk,who just "happens" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot,as you yet again "forgot" about your Imaginary Pretend Ignore...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The ONLY thing you can bring to any discussion,is the recounting of your Homoerotic Fantasies,copious Ineptitude and very WELL founded Insecurities. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Do not "forget",that Imitation is the MOST Sincere form of Flattery,though it beats suffering being you and your one and ONLY "move". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

7th bullet from far right. How come my pictures are soooooooo fhuqking AWESOME? Hint.

Feel free to cite the .224 chambering responsible. Google as you MUST. Hint. LAUGHING!

Fortunately for you and your Brokedick ilk,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Getting the 10 year old out deer hunting this week has me thinking a fast twist 223 is the way to go for little ones first hunting experience. Even the mini grendel in an lss chassis with 129s made him a bit shy off the bench because the magpul stock just had that thin piece of hard truck tire pad on it. I bought some limbsavers for both the 6.5g mini in an lss and the 700 243 youth in an lss but the kid still just wants to use my 16" lightweight ar.

I was about to call northland and order a 7 twist 16.5" sporter criterion remage with the match 223 chamber. Then I walked into a gun store and saw something I hadn't seen before. It was a CZ 600 trail in 223 with a 16 plus change inch 7 twist barrel and a collapsible stock with 3 or 4 different length knotches. Weighs about 6 pounds which isn't bad but 5 would be better for kids. It takes AR mags though and has a decent trigger

It seems pricey for what it is and I kept thinking I'd be better off just building lightweight AR's for each kid. I checked gunbroker and most of these CZs were about $1200 there. This shop had it new for $869 so I took a chance bought it.

I got it home and looked through my scope pile for something not too heavy and found a 2nd gen weaver grand slam 3-12x40. That gives the kids the ability to go down to 3 so they can "find the deer" through the scope yet enough power on the other end to keep them practicing on varmints.

I used to always put a leupold 6x42 on kids first guns because the were light, had the most forgiving eyebox, and had no parallax, target knobs, or even power rings for kids to get distracted by. That strategy worked well for my nephews so I might need to go back to it.

L,ast night I put the 3-12 grandslam on it and it looks decent on there. I proudly brought the new little gun out and showed the kids today and they all said wow that's cool, but I'd rather just use the AR.

So I'll go see how this cz shoots but may end up selling it soon so let me know if anyone wants a cz600 trail for $869. I like the ar mag compatability but even my favorite asc mags only give me 2.3. Building my own remage would have let me modify the mag box giving me room for 88s.

Still wondering about the 7 twist 223 match criterion at 16.5"remage. Chop an inch or so off an old first gen ti stock I've got in the parts box and put a 6x42 on it.
Might have to look at another companies remage offerings and see if they'll turn one in a mtn contour. A 16.5" mtn on a 12.5" lop 1st gen ti stock might make a good deer gun for a 10 year old. Whatever it takes to get kids loving trigger time seems pretty key and they've never complained about anything 223.

Bb

A couple great options. A little bolt gun set up like that would probably get used a bunch.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hog neck, not everyone gets a 7 month season, velvet through rut, through starving on the beaches eating kelp you ignorant fuucking puke… Jesus Christ the older you get, the stupider you get.

Congratulations???? 😆😆😆

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Weird" that yet another 8" RPM 223 SALAMI hit the doorstep. I reckon Lapooey Virgins,Lever',400's and magfed Smooching 75 ELD's will do nice thangs. Hint.

Pardon wares that exist. Hint.

As an aside,the new Sig 8x 6K's are fhuqking exceptional. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fuuck, they actually deliver to Indian rez’s??? Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Put a good bullet where it is supposed to go at the right speed, you’ll kill it just fine.

This was a bang-flop from 5.56 70 gr TSX at 150 yards from a 14.5” barrel.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Newest one Smooches 75 'Max square at 2.520",yet still nestles OEM double stacked 10rd mags. Hint.

22 KHorn form load here,with 35gr 'Max at 3030fps launch. Hint.

Just sayin'.............

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,637
Posts18,474,408
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.