Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Every time the "long range hunting" conversation comes up, theres always going to be some out of shape fat Fudd who has zero experience nor has anything that can be used for LR hunting making the most noise, not sure where the tantrums come from but can guess that .....
1. Doesn't have a clue how to shoot past 200 yards, then neither should you
2. Can't afford the gear, you shouldn't be doing it
3. Only his way of hunting works, you can't do anything else

Well guess what ? Long range hunting is not illegal and if we choose to set up for a hunt that will present shots from 100 - 1000 yards, it means we have done our homework and are ready ...
our rifles, scopes & cartridges aren't the same as yours

your sub par crap equipment is chosen for the type of hunting you do and definitely will not work for us ...
And all LR hunters can do your rock throwing distance hunting with ease .... but a very small percentage of you guys can pull off shots beyond 500 yards and there's nothing wrong with that, stick to what you know and don't bash what you have no experience in, that's just pure ignorant ranting .... not our fault you suck at shooting, learn how to shoot .... period !

We shoot one n done, wether it's 100 or 1000 yards, our chosen cartridges have more energy at 500-600 yards than what yours have at the muzzle ..... our scopes have 120 moa of adjustments and sit on 20 moa rails, we can dial in beyond 2000 yards, most of you have 2x7 or 3x9 crap scopes that are like looking through a dirty coke bottle & what I've seen is guys unloading their guns into an animal then trailing it for a lengthy time then shooting again multiple times then walking up for an execution shot .....
that's a LOT more shooting at one animal than we do...

I suppose you think you're "hunting and stalking" it to death with multiple shots ....

your personal lack of proper equipment, training & shooting ability limits you to close in "off hand" shots but doesn't automatically make you an "ethical" hunter .... your self proclaimed "ethics" don't extend beyond the halo you think you have

modern firearms, cartridges & optics are capable of so much more than what you are ....

LEARN HOW TO SHOOT !

and quit bashing other hunters, some of you are worse than anti-hunters

Apparently this thread is all about you and your buddies "supposed" accomplishments. Who T F cares? So you "claim" you make this incredible shots from unimaginable distances. Quit bragging and beating your chest, no one gives a schit and your making yourself look damn stupid.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by AGL4now
Originally Posted by Cntrmass
When I started this post I was thinking more along the lines of the best caliber/cartridge to cover what Alaska has to offer!

Something that could handle a big moose or bear, survive the weather and ocean etc.
Hunters today are in an endless search for the perfect cartridge/firearm to compensate for their "LACK" of time afield, hunting skills, and inability to shoot "off-hand". They are skilled paper shooters off of a bench but are lacking in the skill to shoot "off-hand". So called hunters today were not born and raised on ranches or farms, but in some level of urban or suburban environment.

A person today who thinks of themselves as a hunter, are primarily skilled in internet searching to compensate for living decades harmoniously with the species they aspire to harvest. They desire to know where the desired species lives in abundance, the cheapest way to get there, what qualities about that species makes it a trophy in the eyes of their friends, and fellow internet so-called highly skilled hunters. The endless quest for approval of others and in an endless search for being accepted by theme self as achieving manhood.

For far too long society has lacked an acknowledged "right-of-passage" for males to social acceptance of "manhood".

This is the stupidest fkn post I've read on 24 Hr Campfire in a long, long time, I mean... Lil Stick posts stupid sh it all the time but at least he's amusing .. in a dumb kind of way ... but still funny & the guy knows guns & can shoot .. unlike you

Were you in a bowel movement as you wrote this sh it ? Because it is SH IT & just reading this drivel gives a fella the runs ....

Your attempt at trying to write a Freudian piece is laughable and total bulls hit !

Simply put .... Try again ... SMFH

It's always these fkn guys ..... every time, lol !

.....[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Nice setup

Originally Posted by MedRiver
I have exactly one Alaska hunt under my belt so my personal experience might as well be zero...however, I have been in the alders with a 20" .35 Whelen and it certainly didn't feel too short. I would not have complained if it was 18" while we were following a piss poor blood trail of a wounded bear.

My Whelen is a cut down Ruger 77 rebore with the standard sporter .30-06 contour. It is a handy setup that is light enough for a sheep hunt and snorty enough for a big brown (I would think). With todays powder options it can get a 225-250 class bullet moving fast enough to do some serious work near and far. Mine is setup with a scope but I also have front irons installed and an NECG ghost ring that lives in my hunting pack that works with the integral receiver mounts. If you have time to remove the scope, you have time to install the irons and it seems to hold zero just fine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I think the medium bores offer a lot because their favorable expansion ratios minimize velocity loss with shorter tubes. Anything over 22" would be disqualified for me as a "one and done" AK rifle (not that I wouldn't happily carry my 24" .300 WM on an open ground caribou hunt).

I have a pile of niche rifles for future AK hunts but if I am honest I could sell them all and be pretty well setup with just the Whelen.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When I started this post I was thinking more along the lines of the best caliber/cartridge to cover what Alaska has to offer!

Something that could handle a big moose or bear, survive the weather and ocean etc.

I guess I wasn’t all that clear.

But I have enjoyed everyone’s input.
Thank You all.

I hear ya bud... I saw this coming from a mile away.... the Gents of 24hrcf just can't help themselves to show you how much smarter they are then the next guy.

They don't want to hear the words, RUM, PRC or SAUM.... "30-06/270 or bust!" HAHA

I Started a post similar about 5 years ago about comparing moose cartridges and I was given answers to questions I never even asked. Then was pretty much called a snot nosed kid who should be saving their money... it was quite comical. I ended up making it to AK twice now and have had VERY successful hunts and wait for it...... I used a freshly built 300RUM (GASP) I know crazy right... I hope I still have street cred with the local guides LOL

Last edited by REDVANES; 10/07/22.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by REDVANES

Thank You all.

I ended up making it to AK twice now and have had VERY successful hunts and wait for it...... I used a freshly built 300RUM (GASP) I know crazy right... I hope I still have street cred with the local guides LOL

This is a forum. An eclectic forum. I read everyone's opinion and support their right to have an opinion. Still, I must give substantial weight to the sheer volume and massive amount of experience in the Alaska field between the respondents. It is one thing to have a few Alaska hunts under one's belt but compare that to those who spent 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 decades spending three and half to four months per year guiding ten and sometimes twenty or more hunters per year, and remember we used to do four species 10-day guided hunts, for Grizzly, Caribou, Black Bear and Moose with near 100% success. Those people viewed the results of hundreds and thousands of harvests, with wide range of cartridges.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by REDVANES

Thank You all.

I hear ya bud... I saw this coming from a mile away.... the Gents of 24hrcf just can't help themselves to show you how much smarter they are then the next guy.

They don't want to hear the words, RUM, PRC or SAUM.... "30-06/270 or bust!" HAHA

I Started a post similar about 5 years ago about comparing moose cartridges and I was given answers to questions I never even asked. Then was pretty much called a snot nosed kid who should be saving their money... it was quite comical. I ended up making it to AK twice now and have had VERY successful hunts and wait for it...... I used a freshly built 300RUM (GASP) I know crazy right... I hope I still have street cred with the local guides LOL

I heard from one member about his 300 Rum he loves it.
I like mine as well. I was looking at the 375 Ruger but brass is non existent right now.
I’ll keep looking,keep reading, and enjoying.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Hunters today are in an endless search for the perfect cartridge/firearm to compensate for their "LACK" of time afield, hunting skills, and inability to shoot "off-hand". They are skilled paper shooters off of a bench but are lacking in the skill to shoot "off-hand". So called hunters today were not born and raised on ranches or farms, but in some level of urban or suburban environment.

A person today who thinks of themselves as a hunter, are primarily skilled in internet searching to compensate for living decades harmoniously with the species they aspire to harvest. They desire to know where the desired species lives in abundance, the cheapest way to get there, what qualities about that species makes it a trophy in the eyes of their friends, and fellow internet so-called highly skilled hunters. The endless quest for approval of others and in an endless search for being accepted by theme self as achieving manhood.

For far too long society has lacked an acknowledged "right-of-passage" for males to social acceptance of "manhood".

This is the stupidest fkn post I've read on 24 Hr Campfire in a long, long time, I mean... Lil Stick posts stupid sh it all the time but at least he's amusing .. in a dumb kind of way ... but still funny & the guy knows guns & can shoot .. unlike you

Were you in a bowel movement as you wrote this sh it ? Because it is SH IT & just reading this drivel gives a fella the runs ....

Your attempt at trying to write a Freudian piece is laughable and total bulls hit !

That is an outstanding reference of pictures. Thought I was looking in the mirror last year, not now though. Lost that fatty fatty.

Would it actually be safe to say that the 30-06 is an really good choice because of availability? Logistics from someone traveling there, living there on a shorter term of a few years, or even budget constraints could dictate what tool is chosen. In those terms is the 30-06 tips in the field despite its limitations?

As cool as the massive huge 338 and 375 ultra capacity cartridges are there's still weight limitations, component issues at current times, and some folks are truly just better off getting an 30-06 and putting the real money in better optics and shooting more ammo on their budgets.

How does an 30-06 or other choice fit and work with those parameters? Seriously.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Swamplord,

There are some of us hunters that strive to get close and make clean one shot kills. I have killed moose, elk, bear, deer, at less than 20 yards. It is what drives me. Getting close is my thing. I would rather not fill my tag, than to shoot an animal at long range. You, on the other hand enjoy the the challenge of LR shooting.

Last weekend called a bull elk in to 40 yards for a friend, one and done. The interaction with the herd was incredible, could feel the bugles and experience the rutting chaos.

So you like to call short range slob hunters Fudds.

But what do you call slob long range hunters?
Another question, does a long range hunter need to wear camo?

I have done a bit of long range shooting. A good friend had a mile range for awhile, and I can get to about 975 yards on our place. Great fun when banging plates, just not my thing when it comes to hunting.

I thrive on the challenge of getting close! You thrive on making long range kills.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Laughing, this post pretty much proves you are the dumbass you profess to be. Which of the pics is a selfie.... ?
Pretty apparent you are out to prove something. Usally the guy with the biggest mouth is also the biggest liar.

This was about one caliber that can do it all, you have taken it to a whole new level of bashing other hunters and stroking your ego to try to prove something. Trying to push some caliber that is not readily available because you do not know how to walk, stalk and call..
Thats what hunting is, not taking hail mary pot shots from 800 yards. WTFU

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by johnn

Laughing, this post pretty much proves you are the dumbass you profess to be. Which of the pics is a selfie.... ?
Pretty apparent you are out to prove something. Usally the guy with the biggest mouth is also the biggest liar.

This was about one caliber that can do it all, you have taken it to a whole new level of bashing other hunters and stroking your ego to try to prove something. Trying to push some caliber that is not readily available because you do not know how to walk, stalk and call..
Thats what hunting is, not taking hail mary pot shots from 800 yards. WTFU

Correct ... This was about one caliber that can "do it all" y'all chose 30'06 ... for YOUR style of hunting .. I chose the 300 RUM for mine ... both 30 caliber .. so why are you having anal pains?
SMF, I bet you call ammunition "bullets" don't you ..

You jumped my sh it first & now y'all crying ! lmao

Does your opinion carry more weight ? Every other opinion different than yours is subject to your rage because you can't shoot worth a sh it beyond a couple hundred yards ?

What you don't get is that we intentionally & strategically set up for long range shots ..... nobody is taking "pot shots" at 800 yards .. It's all calculated and 100% confirmed before the shot, besides, 800 aint't that fkn far... in your mind it is because you have no clue how it's done ....

Stay in your lane, bro ....

or learn how to shoot !

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

HAHAHAHA Man that is funny :o)

KB

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Big gun little dick syndrome.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Arguing on these forums is like running in the special Olympics
Even if you win
You are still retarded

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Swamprat,
regarding 06 vs 300 rum, 06 still wins as a one caliber rifle in AK.
The rum may be the end all be all caliber with a
308 "bullet" for a jackass. It isn't for everyone.

Requires magnum action.... heavier rifle
Muzzle blast.....horrible
Throat erosion...... shorter barrel life
Ammo cost....... EXPENSIVE
Ammo availability....... poor
Recoil...... about twice as a 06

Recoil that heavy is unmanageable for some people, all other issues aside, recoil affects accuracy.

I would not advise a new hunter to take game at 800 yards.... maybe you would...?

I assume, perhaps incorrectly the hunters objective is to put meat on the table, if so why tote a heavier rifle that shoots expensive ammo, wears out faster and kicks like a mule?

If your goal is to take animal's from the next borough, so be it, IMO it's not ethical hunting and I would not advise someone to fill their freezer in that way.

There are only a couple, mainly one game animal that could necessitate a long shot, everything else can typically be taken in less than 200 yards. This bs about the only shot on a moose was 800 yards is all in your mind. Do some hunting your own damn self.

You brag about your LR skill.... kudos, quit bragging, it's not becoming, it's degrading as [bleep]. Quit degrading other's you don't know.

Is the 06 the best one caliber for AK, doubtful, there are other good choices, but it would be a good choice and for damn sure it wouldn't be a rum.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 458Win
Arguing on these forums is like running in the special Olympics
Even if you win
You are still retarded

One of the best statements ever concerning the interwebs.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose.
It was written to limit the power of government over the individual
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
458Win for the best post

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Nice setup

Originally Posted by MedRiver
I have exactly one Alaska hunt under my belt so my personal experience might as well be zero...however, I have been in the alders with a 20" .35 Whelen and it certainly didn't feel too short. I would not have complained if it was 18" while we were following a piss poor blood trail of a wounded bear.

My Whelen is a cut down Ruger 77 rebore with the standard sporter .30-06 contour. It is a handy setup that is light enough for a sheep hunt and snorty enough for a big brown (I would think). With todays powder options it can get a 225-250 class bullet moving fast enough to do some serious work near and far. Mine is setup with a scope but I also have front irons installed and an NECG ghost ring that lives in my hunting pack that works with the integral receiver mounts. If you have time to remove the scope, you have time to install the irons and it seems to hold zero just fine.

I think the medium bores offer a lot because their favorable expansion ratios minimize velocity loss with shorter tubes. Anything over 22" would be disqualified for me as a "one and done" AK rifle (not that I wouldn't happily carry my 24" .300 WM on an open ground caribou hunt).

I have a pile of niche rifles for future AK hunts but if I am honest I could sell them all and be pretty well setup with just the Whelen.

I agree. Thinking that would be a solid Alaskan rig. It reminds me of pabucktail's .416 Taylor Project.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by johnn
Swamprat,
regarding 06 vs 300 rum, 06 still wins as a one caliber rifle in AK.
The rum may be the end all be all caliber with a
308 "bullet" for a jackass. It isn't for everyone.

Requires magnum action.... heavier rifle
Muzzle blast.....horrible
Throat erosion...... shorter barrel life
Ammo cost....... EXPENSIVE
Ammo availability....... poor
Recoil...... about twice as a 06

Recoil that heavy is unmanageable for some people, all other issues aside, recoil affects accuracy.

I would not advise a new hunter to take game at 800 yards.... maybe you would...?

I assume, perhaps incorrectly the hunters objective is to put meat on the table, if so why tote a heavier rifle that shoots expensive ammo, wears out faster and kicks like a mule?

If your goal is to take animal's from the next borough, so be it, IMO it's not ethical hunting and I would not advise someone to fill their freezer in that way.

There are only a couple, mainly one game animal that could necessitate a long shot, everything else can typically be taken in less than 200 yards. This bs about the only shot on a moose was 800 yards is all in your mind. Do some hunting your own damn self.

You brag about your LR skill.... kudos, quit bragging, it's not becoming, it's degrading as [bleep]. Quit degrading other's you don't know.

Is the 06 the best one caliber for AK, doubtful, there are other good choices, but it would be a good choice and for damn sure it wouldn't be a rum.

A lot of great points Johnn!

I had a .300 wsm, Browning Mountain Ti, loved it but I sold it, why? Because I could not find the ammo it liked for it. It was a colossal pain in the azz.

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/08/22.

KB

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
OK, I’ll play. Sometimes the rifle makes the cartridge or the cartridge makes the rifle. If I were forced to pick just one it would be my lefty Ruger in 338 RCM. My reasoning is:
The rifle is built with a stock with a slightly smaller LOP than standard.
Comes with a 20 inch barrel with factory iron sights
Control round feed if that is important to you.
The shorter barrel and LOP makes it easier/faster to shoulder in the thick stuff. I never shot an animal beyond 300 yards in my life so the shorter barrel wouldn’t be a concern to me ballistic wise.

Plenty of rifles on the market could be made to emulate the Ruger. My decision takes into consideration it is a factory rifle.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have to toss in a good story. Met an old sourdougher in Fairbanks back in the middle 1970’s. He owned a pre 64 Winchester 70 and I believe it was chambered in 300 H&H. Rifle had iron sights. He said he bought the rifle new 16–17 years before and one box of factory ammo. There were 4 rounds left in the box. He told me he killed 16 moose with it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (257_X_50, 222Sako, 1_deuce, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 62 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,562
Posts18,473,169
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.