Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Wrapids
Originally Posted by WVTILLIDIE
Hey guys, I have a Remington Model 7 in 300WSM. I've had a devil of a time getting a scope that will hold zero on this thing. It does have a good wallup, so I'm assuming that's the culprit. I had a 2.5-10 Nikon Monarch on it when I first bought it, it seemed to do well, but like a fool, I removed it and went with a 6-24 Monarch. It will not hold zero for anything. Switched it over to a 22-250 and it's golden. So I'm back on the hunt for a scope in the 500-800 range that will withstand the jolt from this rifle. Hoping for some insight from this group. Thanks!!
And you gotta shoot from 800 yards bubba? Pardon me, but get closer, no need for a 6-24 on any big game rifle.

It funny back in the early 70's a 2-7 power scope was what most had on a rifle....in the 80's it changed to 3-9....now 4-12 or larger....must be animals are getting farther away to get a shot at them.....

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Nightforce SHV 3–10 X 42, SWFA 6X or 3X9, if you can find one, or a Trijicon AccuPoint or credo.

add tract, Maven, Zeiss Trijicon 10mile

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sincere question...

WHY would the scope rings or bases be the reason for a scope to not hold zero on "heavy recoiling rifles"? Many responding to this thread refer to this, but none explain why.

What is the association?

What style of scope/base is recommended? What design feature makes it "better" for a scope to hold zero?

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any half ways decent scope should have no problem holding up in the OP's application.

For truly heavy-recoiling rifles, stick with a scope of decent quality that is lightweight, so as to keep Newton's 1st Law in check. By all means, buy the best quality glass that's in your budget. But, $3k scopes aren't necessary.

I scoped an 8 pound .375 Weatherby with a $169 Weaver V10 2-10x38 (11 ounces) 16 years ago. It's in lapped Leupold rings and bedded DD's, lapped with 8-42 screws. Hasn't moved yet.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by buttstock
Sincere question...

WHY would the scope rings or bases be the reason for a scope to not hold zero on "heavy recoiling rifles"? Many responding to this thread refer to this, but none explain why.

What is the association?

What style of scope/base is recommended? What design feature makes it "better" for a scope to hold zero?

Binding of the tube itself due to the rings/bases being a bit differently machined from one to the other is generally the culprit of killing scopes on heavy recoiling rifles. That’s one reason Burris signature rings use the the insert in them because it takes out the lapping process and doesn’t allow the rings to bind the tube. Some even go to the extent of using a bit of bedding compound on bases so everything is is in complete contact to take up the machining tolerances of receivers from factory. All this takes out variables that can cause loss of zero.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by afisher
Sincere question...

What is the association?

Binding of the tube itself due to the rings/bases being a bit differently machined from one to the other is generally the culprit of killing scopes on heavy recoiling rifles. That’s one reason Burris signature rings use the the insert in them because it takes out the lapping process and doesn’t allow the rings to bind the tube. .....

I guess I am slow. Why would a non-lapped scope ring (or a scope ring that imparts a ring mark on a scope tube) cause a scope to lose zero? I was under the impression that a scope losing zero from recoil was associated with reticle assembly springs not being strong enough to return the "reticle housing" to "zero". Why would one style of rings/bases be the reason for a scope not holding zero? "Lightweight Talleys" were suggested as being a contributing factor for losing zero. What is it about there design would cause this?

Aside from LOOSE rings and bases ( that wiggle and move, shifting bullet impact, and not holding "zero") what is the basis for scope rings or bases-being lapped or unlapped, or their design itself ( ie "light Talleys") be the reason for a scope to not hold zero? I am sincere in attempting to learn the cause and effect. None have been provided so far. What is the basis? I don't get it. Edumicate me.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
No longer made but I've had nothing but positive results using Burris positive-lock optics in hard recoil situations..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Burris Posi's,are easily amongst the schittiest scopes ever fhuqking offered. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Nightforce SHV 3–10 X 42, SWFA 6X or 3X9, if you can find one, or a Trijicon AccuPoint or credo.

add tract, Maven, Zeiss Trijicon 10mile
I mounted a Trijicon 1-4 on my bud's .416 Rem, Model 70. It worked out well. He likes it, killed a 43" buff in South Africa couple years ago.

For that application the triangle reticle works great.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The horror from a puny 416 Remington...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've always liked the looks of that one, the color, the red pad, everything about it.

And, it seems to be serving you pretty well.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ldholton
No longer made but I've had nothing but positive results using Burris positive-lock optics in hard recoil situations..

Not for me. In fact, all Burris products I've owned have failed. ALL. Currently have a Fastfire III that is a replacement, and it works. But who knows for how long.

LOL
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Not for me. In fact, all Burris products I've owned have failed. ALL. Currently have a Fastfire III that is a replacement, and it works. But who knows for how long.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

Not so long ago you were just bragging about a Burris Verosity model or something like that how great it was....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Not so long ago you were just bragging about a Burris Verosity model or something like that how great it was....

It worked and had nice features, until it didn't. Don't blame me, I didn't build it.

LOL
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by afisher
Sincere question...

What is the association?

Binding of the tube itself due to the rings/bases being a bit differently machined from one to the other is generally the culprit of killing scopes on heavy recoiling rifles. That’s one reason Burris signature rings use the the insert in them because it takes out the lapping process and doesn’t allow the rings to bind the tube. .....

I guess I am slow. Why would a non-lapped scope ring (or a scope ring that imparts a ring mark on a scope tube) cause a scope to lose zero? I was under the impression that a scope losing zero from recoil was associated with reticle assembly springs not being strong enough to return the "reticle housing" to "zero". Why would one style of rings/bases be the reason for a scope not holding zero? "Lightweight Talleys" were suggested as being a contributing factor for losing zero. What is it about there design would cause this?

Aside from LOOSE rings and bases ( that wiggle and move, shifting bullet impact, and not holding "zero") what is the basis for scope rings or bases-being lapped or unlapped, or their design itself ( ie "light Talleys") be the reason for a scope to not hold zero? I am sincere in attempting to learn the cause and effect. None have been provided so far. What is the basis? I don't get it. Edumicate me.

2) Why is a lapping alignment needed?
A gun is an industrial product. Scope rings, scope bases, and scopes are industrial products. Industrial products have manufacturing tolerances. Manufacturing tolerances are the tolerances that allow for a certain degree of dimensional error in the manufacture of individual parts. This ensures that the quality of each product is consistent. If it is a single machine, no problem will occur as long as it is within the tolerances. However, when a scope is mounted, a mounting base is attached to the gun, a scope ring is attached to it, and the scope is fastened to it. Multiple industrial products made in pieces are stacked on top of each other to hold the scope in place. While a single product will stay within tolerances and not cause problems, multiple products stacked on top of each other can add up to manufacturing tolerances and, in rare cases, exceed tolerances. In extreme cases, the height of the front scope ring may be different from that of the rear scope ring. If the scope is placed there and tightened and secured, the scope body will be distorted. If the body of the scope, which is an optical instrument, is distorted, the optical axis will be out of alignment. This is what we mean by the possibility of damaging the scope. Tightening the scope will apply excessive force, which will also scratch the body.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 56 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,306
Posts18,487,165
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.