-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let me ask you this, LFC, and try and keep it on topic.

Just what happens when the leaves fall that makes it such that a shotgun becomes an ineffective weapon for squirrels? Do squirrels only present shots at 50 yards or more when the foliage drops? Do they stop moving so that a shot on a leaping or running squirrel no longer presents itself? Does it suddenly become impossible to sit quietly near a food source and shoot them inside 30 yards? Aren't you able to shoot turkeys inside 30 yards in the fall and winter, or do you require a rifle for 50+ yard shots? Are squirrels harder? Haven't you taken a seat near a hickory tree and shot a squirrel on the ground, gotten up, retrieved it, returned to the same spot you shot it from and waited 10 or 20 minutes and then had squiirels come right back to the same area where you just shot the last one? Haven't you sat quietly in the late fall and winter woods after all the leaves are down and had squirrels rooting around just yards from you? Heck, I've had them root around nearly up to my feet, had them on branches over my tree stand, and had nut-eating wood rats go over my legs. What deer hunter hasn't enjoyed a clueless squirrel rooting around almost within arms reach oblivious to their presence?

And what's wrong with taking precision shots on squirrels up in trees with foliage? Is a hunter only supposed to blast shot into a shaking branch in hopes that something falls out? Are squirrels impossible to see in trees with foilage? Do squirrels never come down to the ground when the foliage is thick? Can you never get a 50 yard shot on a squirrel on the forest floor when the foliage is full in the tree tops?

The whole "shotguns for heavy foliage and rifles for when the trees are bare" is really just Field and Stream philosphy. Many people read and or grow up with it and it becomes gospel. It's a notion that is as traditional as squirrel hunting itself. It might be a good way to introduce little kids with low skill to the sport so they can have an opportunity to take a squirrel or two. But the truth is, both guns still have their respective advantages over the other, as well as their weaknesses, regardless of whether there are leaves on the trees or not. And squirrels don't suddenly become harder to hunt when the leaves drop. I happen think it's actually easier. And the myth that squirrels only present longer shots when the foliage is down is just that, a myth. In some places it might be easier to see far off squirrels when the foliage is down, but it's just as easy to take a seat near a food source, be still, and have them present them selves as close as they do in early season.

Like I said, I've known hunters that didn't even own a .22 and only hunted with shotguns. And they had no more problem limiting with a shotgun in late January than they did in early October.

Hunt as you wish.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
Busted two this afternoon with the HW100. Spotted the first from around 30 yards and put a JSB 18 grainer through it's noggin then stood still a few minutes to see if any others were around. Saw nothing and moved around ten yards towards where the first had fallen and a second squirrel hopped into view. Safety off, quick aim and pfffft, number two on the ground. Both young and tender meat, fried squirrel for supper!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Phillip, those red and black handled scissors from Harbor Freight are great for cleaning squirrels. I have the same and use them for the same purpose. They'll snip feet off easily. Sometimes mine bog down a bit on skin when trying to snip off the heads, though. I picked up a pair of Harbor Freight "Quinn" job site scissors, the big ones, that are also great. $11.99. No problem cutting through skin with them.

https://www.harborfreight.com/jobsi...medium=social&utm_campaign=shortener

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/26/22.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I bought those particular shears, the Wiss Wezsnips, for the shorter blades. I've used several other game shears over the years and thought that the shorter blades might work better, so far I've been pleased with them. I could get by with just shears but I have plenty of knives and I want to use them too.

What you choose to hunt with is a personal satisfaction thing to me. From a slingshot to a centerfire rifle, there are plenty of weapons that can be used. Whatever is lawful, handiest, suits the area where you're hunting, etc., doesn't matter, show some pictures if you got 'em. I enjoy seeing them and I'm sure a lot of other's do too.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Those Pittsburg stainless snips from Harbor Freight look identical to the Wiss, probably are identical. The etched stainless steel marking is even in the same place. The ends of the plastic grips are shaped slightly differently. Genuine chineh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got several pair of those Pittsburg scissors. They are cheap, work, and have a lifetime warranty. There's a HF store pretty close and it's easy enough to just take tool back if it breaks and hand it off and get another. I've left them bloody and they haven't corroded. Good cheap tool for messy jobs. I just discovered the other shears. Hard to beat for the price.

I've been out a couple of times since that photo I posted and will be going out again on Friday. Maybe I will take my BPS 20 gauge. I've got a new supply of #4.

IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

Just what happens when the leaves fall that makes it such that a shotgun becomes an ineffective weapon for squirrels?

No one said or thought it was an ineffective weapon....a shotgun is a more effective squirrel killer.

The whole "shotguns for heavy foliage and rifles for when the trees are bare" is really just Field and Stream philosphy.

Its called common sense.....with the foliage off your shots are clearer.

Like I said, I've known hunters that didn't even own a .22 and only hunted with shotguns.

My first real gun was a Remington single shot Targetmaster .22 with iron sights I was turned loose with it behind our house with it when I was 8 or 9 years old at first I killed more birds and animals than Audubon (not something I'm proud of)....it was a mile and a half to a rail road track to the west of us and 5 or 6 miles to the first gravel road to the south nothing but hardwoods....I kept a tally of the squirrels I killed every year with the tails nailed inside our barn.

I've been a rifleman ever since....it takes more skill to kill a limit of squirrels with a .22 rifle.

Years back every year I used to go on a opening day squirrel hunt at a big WMA on the Mississippi river with bunch guys...I always took my Winchester model 75 Sporter with a 3-9 Leupold AO compact....got my azz dusted every year everyone else shot shotguns. One year I showed up with my shotgun and I dusted their azzes.

There's just something about hunting with a .22....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't get into the woods until just before 8 am. Sun was coming up. It's still plenty green in the woods except for the tree tops. Walking to my spot, I find this girl and another squirrel chasing each other around a beech tree. I tagged her. Tried to get a double on her dancing partner but it took off down the slope behind the tree. So it's the only one I got today. By 9 am it was pretty windy with gusts to 25 mph. It had the trees swaying and creeking pretty good. By noon it was dying down some but the clouds were darkening and by 2 pm it was misting rain so I decided to come home. I did tree another one in the top of a medium sized loblolly pine on the main trail out but couldn't get anything like a clear shot, so it lives another day.

This is the Browning BPS I bought last spring and haven't really had a chance to do anything with yet except pattern it. I was using Winchester Super X 1 oz #4 at 1,220 fps. I shot this squirrel at somewhere between 25 and 30 yards. All pellets passed completely through except two which I found under the skin at the hips. One pellet broke the hind leg between thigh and the foot. No blood shot meat. I'm pleased with these shells. And while this 28" 20 gauge shotgun is loud, it's not ear splitting like my Ithaca 26" 12 gauge.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/28/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LFC

Just what happens when the leaves fall that makes it such that a shotgun becomes an ineffective weapon for squirrels?

No one said or thought it was an ineffective weapon....a shotgun is a more effective squirrel killer.

The whole "shotguns for heavy foliage and rifles for when the trees are bare" is really just Field and Stream philosphy.

Its called common sense.....with the foliage off your shots are clearer.

Like I said, I've known hunters that didn't even own a .22 and only hunted with shotguns.

I've been a rifleman ever since....it takes more skill to kill a limit of squirrels with a .22 rifle.

There's just something about hunting with a .22....
I refuse to use a shotgun. Have done it many many times before but I don't like the chance of busting a gut in them. Also don't care for the noise.

Had 3 or 4 squirrel hunts so far this fall, killed 1 squirrel, saw a dozen or more each hunt. Had to pass on many due to leaves but once they fall and once most squirrels are sitting around cutting nuts I will get after them again.

Little boogers stay up in the leaves getting nuts straight off the trees instead of having to get on the ground for them.

No doubt I could have killed a half a dozen each trip.

Not knocking a shotgun as it is the most useful and will no doubt get a guy more game in his bag but I have gotten to the point where observing nature has really taken over.

Like my squirrels head shot with a good 22 HP.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/29/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Not knocking a shotgun as it is the most useful and will no doubt get a guy more game in his bag but I have gotten to the point where observing nature has really taken over.

Like my squirrels head shot with a good 22 HP.

They both have their places. But like you, I won't shoot unless I have a clear shot. I refuse to shoot into foliage where I know one is cracking nuts hoping one falls out, or through heavy sticks and sprouts hoping some pellets make it through. And I don't think I shoot at them really any further away with a .22 than I do with a shotgun. Maybe sometimes, but not often. The little things only sit still for a second of two.

IMO, the trick with a shotgun is shot size and keeping ranges reasonable, and shots open. I've used everything from BBs to #8. Anything bigger than #4 will bloodshot meat and anything smaller than #6 just makes a horrenous mess. Good for killing but not good for eating. I like #4 for the reasons above. Out to 30 yards and maybe a little past, for the most part it will just pass through. The only blood shoting will be to thin areas, like the ribs, or just right at the entrance. It will not obliterate a heart or liver like a .22 shot that is a bit off.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/29/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All your concerns of shotgunners shooting through leaves and thicker cover in hopes of killing a squirrel and only wounding it instead has nothing to do with the weapon and everything to do with the hunter. That same hunter that doesn't take clear shots with a shotgun won't take clear shots with a .22 either. That hunter will shoot beyond his capabilities with whatever the weapon and will wound game regardless.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, I agree. It's up to the hunter. But I think for the most part most hunters will take a more careful aim with a .22 than with a shotgun. Lots of people just blast into brush with a shotgun. Youtube has many videos of guys pointing shotguns where they think a squirrel is and shooting.

Here's a guy who makes respectable duck hunting videos giving it a go for squirrels. Two shots into thick cover and two wounded and lost squirrels. This is what too many people think a shotgun is for when hunting squirrels. Every squirrel hunter looses a squirrel now and then. But this is just reckless.

Fast forward to 1:57 and 7:28. But I think you're right, some .22 hunters would have taken these shots as well.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/29/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For me shotgun or .22 depends on location more than anything. I will only use a .22 in places where there are no houses/civilization within a mile. I have some darn good squirrel hunting spots in farm woodlots where there are plenty of dwellings, people and livestock within a few hundred yards and will only use a shotgun there. It is dangerous and irresponsible as hell to launch bullets skyward in such places and I'm unwilling to pass up all the shot opportunities at squirrels that are not on the ground or otherwise don't have a solid backstop for .22 bullets. Over the years there have been several instances I know of personally here where people were either hit by stray bullets from long distances or had them hit their vehicle or house. My dads neighbor two houses away had a bullet come through his bathroom window when he was sitting on the pot taking a shyt one morning. Police investigation concluded it was a stray bullet that came from the ridge across the valley.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
My dads neighbor two houses away had a bullet come through his bathroom window when he was sitting on the pot taking a shyt one morning.

On a positive note........... I bet it helped him completely empty his bowels......... 😏

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That would done it for me too!
Encroaching civilization is a good reason to use air rifles if you still want to enjoy the rifle hunting without the danger when homes are close by.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I live in the country portion of a city. Sounds weird, but where I live it used to be a county that was annexed by a city and it's still somewhat rural. Nonetheless, there is no discharge of firearms within the city. But we can bowhunt (which I don't do), and we can discharge airguns. My Benjamin pump .177 was my all-time killingest gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been kicking around getting a new gas piston gun. I have a vintage RWS/Diana 34 springer in .177 caliber. But, thinking I wanna try a .25........MAY settle for a .22. But the .25 seems to be more of a step up. I might just go squirrel hunting, then.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Diana RWS 34 is what I shoot now. My Benjamin crapped out and won't hold air beyond one pump and I haven't bebuilt it yet. I like the Diana, but its as loud as a .22 short and is super hard on scopes. I have a Hawke Airmax 4-12x40 AO sitting in a Diana Zero Recoil mount. That mount makes it hard for poinpoint accuracy but it takes the pounding off the scope and still maintains minute-of-starling out to 180 feet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yoder409
I've been kicking around getting a new gas piston gun. I have a vintage RWS/Diana 34 springer in .177 caliber. But, thinking I wanna try a .25........MAY settle for a .22. But the .25 seems to be more of a step up. I might just go squirrel hunting, then.

A Beeman R9 will not disappoint....I like the 20 but the 177 is fine, just pick a good dome pellet like the Crosman or JSBs. I do not believe a 25 has any advantage IMHO. If running a PCP, a 22 is a good option.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I like to play and tinker with air rifles {and pistols} and have had a bunch over the years. Actually, I still have quite a few but they come and go. I kill maybe a couple dozen squirrels and a few cottontails a year with them around the yard. My old Daisy 881 that I just resealed for the second time last summer has accounted for a ton of yard and bird feeder critters over the years but I actually haven't taken one of my air rifles out hunting in quite awhile. I did when I was younger and have killed squirrels, rabbits, grouse and even raccoon and one possum. That was with a Sheridan blue streak that is now long gone. I still have a Mac-1 steroid Benjamin .22 that I hunted with years ago but I don't really care to pump it up so don't use it much anymore. My Walther Parrus is powerful, flat shooting and surprisingly accurate but is huge and weighs as much as an elephant rifle so I'm not taking that hunting unless somebody volunteers to be my gunbearer.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10 invisible), 1,497 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.