Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Currently stocking some 143 Horn ELDXs and 140 NPTs. That will cover a LOT. If moose hunting, I would load and sight for the ELDXs, and have the NPTs handy for close shots. I think of the Creed as a 6.5 Swede Improved ๐Ÿ˜Š

Last edited by Talus_in_Arizona; 10/10/22.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Currently stocking some 143 Horn ELDXs and 140 NPTs. That will cover a LOT. If moose hunting, I would load and sight for the ELDXs, and have the NPTs handy for close shots. I think of the Creed as a 6.5 Swede Improved ๐Ÿ˜Š

It's one of those cartridges (along with the 7-08 unsurprisingly) that a person could probably own along with a 375 and a 22lr and hunt the world with.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I had to switch to left handed shooting I picked up a 6.5 CM Tikka T3x lite and put a 3x9 4200 on it. An employee didn't have a rifle at all, and I didn't have time to hunt it, so I handed it to him to sight in and hunt with. Handed him a box of Hornady Whitetail ammo and off he went.

Came back a bit later and was a little bit non-plussed. He'd shot the first three shots for group, under an inch, made the correction on the scope to get to zero, and fired three more into an inch group, right where it was supposed to be.

He'd never had a rifle that shot in the same spot twice, and never had a scope that moved reliably where it was supposed to. Could not believe you could just buy a rifle and a scope and be ready to hunt in six shots. It's been bloodied since, and all clean one shot kills.

For whatever that's worth, but I think the 6.5 CM seems to be, indeed, the "easy" button.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
โ€œEasy buttonโ€
Best explanation Iโ€™ve heard so far

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Seems to me the Creed creates a lot of animosity among those who feel their fav round is being challenged, those who jealously don't have one and those who don't like idea of something new or different. Those are the Cons.

Pros: It's a great round with great ammo on dealer's shelves that will often out shoot one's best handloads. That's also an affront to conventional wisdom, handloads always beating factory load.

And the ammo isn't overly expensive. And, relatively inexpensive guns in dealer's racks that can, out of the box, often outshoot expensive custom rifles, another affront to one's manhood.

So, it can be a challenging, disruptive round to some, a great round for others.

I happen to be a fan.

Just my opinion.

DF
This. Call me a fan, too.

Add me to the list.

Well, rickt300 would say we're a bunch of effeminate, man bun wearing soy-boy types. grin

I used to think the 6.5 CM derangement syndrome crowd had arguments with merit, but after well over 100 hogs and 125 whitetail doe culls, I know better. It flat out works with a wide variety of bullets.
Ain't that the truth.

Haters sit back and hate, obviously haven't used one.

Or, they wouldn't be haters.

And, it takes some effort and luck to stay ahead of factory ammo

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JPro
Pretty good summation there by Dirtfarmer. I'm a fan also.

I'd have a 6.5CM but own a list of other "middle-of-the-road" deer rifles I really don't need already. I have a 6CM, so close enough.

No man-bun here but I do wear Crocs. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
It's one of those cartridges (along with the 7-08 unsurprisingly) that a person could probably own along with a 375 and a 22lr and hunt the world with.

For my hunting here, I could live with a 6.5CM (for deer), a 30-06 (for moose), a 20ga SXS (for grouse) and a 10/22 for the really big stuff.

S
sakoron Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Darryle, Last week I was shopping Atwoods in Jacksonville looking for dog food on the way home from a monster Estate Sale, where I scored a couple shooters for my resale antique furniture bidnizz in the deep piney woods south of Tyler last week and was shopping for a CM of some sort for a Best Buy for the dollar for a better than expected beater rifle to hunt the new Neches River multi County State Owned property with - think another Big Sam Nat'l Forest out side of Huntsville sized property.

Anyway Atwoods has a bigger selection of midrange priced shooters than I expected and will probably be where I'll drop my pocket change when the time comes to get serious. Price's in Tyler OTOH at the big fancy Safari Outfitter started at $750+ and went up bigtime past the $1500's+ , but they were purtyier for sure , and surprisingly the big chain store from Houston across the parking lot is also too high .

Wal Mart in Palestine to my surprise also had a wall rack display full of of 6.5 CM's of all kinds in the $400 to $600+ range and had ammo, including Norma on the shelf too. LOT's of interest in East Texas for CM's where 30'06's have been king for over 75+ years.
Ron

Last edited by sakoron; 10/13/22. Reason: clarity
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
140 eldm's for the win.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

You don't need partitions for "close shots". Hell you don't need eldx for close range. If 60yds is close enough, eldm's work just fine....on an elk's shoulder.

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 204guy, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,023
Posts18,500,462
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.