Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
The border shut down is going to happen again it's just a matter of when. My thinking is, you'd have to be nuts or have money to burn to ever pay for a Canadian hunt upfront. For US residents Alaska is the only way to go.

For some reason Alaska costs a lot more than Canada

Because it's worth it.

Not if you're chasing mule deer or whitetails. smile

SKane;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope there's not too, too much BC smoke blowing down your way and all in your world who matter are well.

As you mentioned, if one is looking for certain species - say Stone Sheep, then Alaska won't really work.

While I completely understand some folks' frustration with what is going on, hopefully they also are cognizant of the fact that anyone they "punish" by not coming up to hunt here won't be even remotely responsible for making the decisions that have put us all into this quagmire.

Not much else to say about that really is there?

Well for the newer folks, I don't guide or outfit, have never, ever been remotely connected to one and do not imagine a situation where I would ever be involved with one, especially since I'm attempting to be retired and all.

All the best to you sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dwayne,

I'm happy to hear you side-stepped personal disaster there. Yeah, we have a little haze in my neck of the woods and air quality alerts but it'd be ridiculous to even consider whining about it given what your part of the country has been through.

–––

This mess sucks all around for both hunters and outfitters.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
The border shut down is going to happen again it's just a matter of when. My thinking is, you'd have to be nuts or have money to burn to ever pay for a Canadian hunt upfront. For US residents Alaska is the only way to go.

For some reason Alaska costs a lot more than Canada

Because it's worth it.

Not if you're chasing mule deer or whitetails. smile

Or stupid women and men. Keep feeding the enemy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some parts of Alaska are worth it, I'm thinking of the south eastern section.You need a boat for that. Tundra and muskeg, not so much.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just saw on Instagram that Jim Shockey is in real real bad shape. Could be Lyme but no one knows. He can barely walk

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I guess in the many years of guiding and being in the industry, making his million dollar a year revenue as he discusses in the article, it never occurred to Jim Shockey to actually get insurance on his business...

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Shockey is loaded, his wife was an actress! I knew a guy that booked a black bear hunt Shockey was supposed to be here was A know show. Guy took a good bear, not a giant tho! It was. very high price,than can't remember. The Outfitters should repay at least part of the $$$, or offer a discount on another hunt.
Maybe the Americans should boycott Canada for a few years!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Nothing good to say about Shockey.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read last year that his wife had stage four lung cancer. Whatever happened with that?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I read last year that his wife had stage four lung cancer. Whatever happened with that?

She passed away last November.

IC B3

A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by bushrat

I heard she is being treated for cancer but is still alive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dr. Death;
Good afternoon, I hope the day's been a good one for you and you're well.

Regarding Jim Shockey, on his facebook page he's reported that the doctors believe it's "Probably it’s polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) or maybe a variation of Lyme’s Disease."

His wife Louise was still alive as of the post which was October 02nd, but she was diagnosed with late stage, aggressive lung cancer last November.

The last part of what he writes is as follows:

"The truth is, every single one of us will face trials and tribulations at some point in our lives, so why hide the truth? This happens to be my turn to face adversity, so why deny it? Why hide it? Just to make people think my life is a bowl of cherries? A fairytale?
Just to preserve an image? Protect a “brand?”

Nope. Sorry. Won’t do it.

The reality is, in spite of what we read on Social Media, the sun does not always shine upon anyone, no matter how famous.

And nobody, no matter how healthy their lifestyle, no matter how many sheep mountains they have climbed, no matter how long they have walked the walk and no matter how tough they might think they are…will be able to avoid being laid low and humbled at some point.

So that’s why I posted this clip.

It’s the truth."

While I don't know Jim Shockey from a fig, nor he me and I've never had any interactions with him, I will say that my late Mom suffered from polymyalgia and I've lost way too many friends from cancer.

My thoughts and prayers are with them as they work through this all. Has to be tough.

All the best and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Dr. Death;
Good afternoon, I hope the day's been a good one for you and you're well.

Regarding Jim Shockey, on his facebook page he's reported that the doctors believe it's "Probably it’s polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) or maybe a variation of Lyme’s Disease."

His wife Louise was still alive as of the post which was October 02nd, but she was diagnosed with late stage, aggressive lung cancer last November.

The last part of what he writes is as follows:

"The truth is, every single one of us will face trials and tribulations at some point in our lives, so why hide the truth? This happens to be my turn to face adversity, so why deny it? Why hide it? Just to make people think my life is a bowl of cherries? A fairytale?
Just to preserve an image? Protect a “brand?”

Nope. Sorry. Won’t do it.

The reality is, in spite of what we read on Social Media, the sun does not always shine upon anyone, no matter how famous.

And nobody, no matter how healthy their lifestyle, no matter how many sheep mountains they have climbed, no matter how long they have walked the walk and no matter how tough they might think they are…will be able to avoid being laid low and humbled at some point.

So that’s why I posted this clip.

It’s the truth."

While I don't know Jim Shockey from a fig, nor he me and I've never had any interactions with him, I will say that my late Mom suffered from polymyalgia and I've lost way too many friends from cancer.

My thoughts and prayers are with them as they work through this all. Has to be tough.

All the best and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

Wow.

I don't know Shockey either but both he and his wife being sick is tough.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P

Uh, no she didn’t.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ah, the "mystery illness" strikes again ....

courtesy of the jab .... much, much more to come and millions more will be struck down

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
T
T
I read through this thread just now. I thought Shockey was explaining outfitting in Canada, sorta like Tiger woods explaining issues around the LIV tour. Not making personal excuses for personal problems, all being actions he was forced to take and screwing US client. That would be stupid. If he actually personally had al, or some of, l those problems himself, he would be stupid to lay it all out in a national US publication. Why? Just so that all the most litigious clients could leap frog each other in attempts to pick his bones clean?

I don't know much about him, I always thought he was an American, while briskly walking past his videos at Walmart. Only learned he was Canadian when the latest government plans to seize antique firearms, etc..., were revealed. Shockey stuck his head up to speak out on that one also. It's possible he might be a stand up guy. Sure that works well with self-promotion. That is what winners do, they figure out how to get ahead without torquing everyone else in the process.

Last edited by Trailside; 10/08/22.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Ah, the "mystery illness" strikes again ....

courtesy of the jab .... much, much more to come and millions more will be struck down

I’m glad someone said it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

Uh, no she didn’t.
Your correct, I googled "Jim Shockey's wife died" made the post without examining the site, it's a different Jim Shockey, wife named Louise.

My apologies.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 56 invisible), 3,066 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,896
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.