Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes that is a Bianchi flap for a 6.5” N frame that it rides in. RCBS Keith bullets over Unique is what it mostly sees.

GB1

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
RCBS Keith bullets over Unique is what it mostly sees.
BINGO! That’s a winner!

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by Slavek
You should have kept that gun original. The 3" barrel was only offered early in production for couple years or less, Boomers pay big premiums for stuff like that.
I feel sorry for those poor schmos who refuse to make a gun into exactly what they want it to be, out of fear that will reduce its resale value. Life is too short to waste it as a self-deprived slave to financial considerations, only to enrich one’s heirs.

chipy, pay no attention to this closet lesbian commie.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A new thread has been created for your convenience in insulting Slavek. Please post your insults there, so as not to clutter this post with those tiresome insults.

Whenever you feel an impulse to insult Slavek in this thread, please post only “Alas, poor Slavek!” Which will alert readers that you have posted a new insult in that other thread.

Give it a try, eh?

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Some nice modern guns here, very few can match the workmanship of a Colt New Service Target in 44 Russian.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by UpThePole; 10/09/22.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those old products had more hand fitting and attention to detail. For example, old S&W revolvers had five screw frame with finely checkered wood grips. Now they only use 3 screws plus inexpensive rubberized grips to make manufacture and assembly easier and cheaper. In addition to quality they bring older folks to their years of youth which almost always seem like great times even if in actuality they were less then great. Nostalgia rules.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
A new thread has been created for your convenience in insulting Slavek. Please post your insults there, so as not to clutter this post with those tiresome insults.

Whenever you feel an impulse to insult Slavek in this thread, please post only “Alas, poor Slavek!” Which will alert readers that you have posted a new insult in that other thread.

Give it a try, eh?
The reason for the resentment is that Slavek has proven himself a leftist, globalist, piece of trash, several times over. He's unabashed about it. I can understand Americans taking offense to his presence.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The reason for the resentment is that Slavek has proven himself a leftist, globalist, piece of trash, several times over. He's unabashed about it. I can understand Americans taking offense to his presence.
Regardless, efforts to drive him away through petty, childish insults and name calling have obviously proven unsuccessful. Clogging a thread with even more of the same simply detracts from what could otherwise be an enjoyable thread. Those upset with him should simply ignore him and move on. Or, they can conveniently vent their hostility in the other thread.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Now, back to business.
Here’s what the S&W Model 60-4 looked like:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

… before it became this:

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Extra weight helps tame the vicious recoil of the mighty 38 special cartridge. 1948 production 4” 38/44 Heavy Duty

IC B3

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Extra weight helps tame the vicious recoil of the mighty 38 special cartridge. 1948 production 4” 38/44 Heavy Duty
When the round is “pumped up” to .38/44 levels, a little extra revolver bulk and sturdiness may be of some noticeable benefit.

That’s a very attractive example from S&W’s Hans & Franz design team. Looks like a real brute, doesn’t it?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Now, back to business.
Here’s what the S&W Model 60-4 looked like:

… before it became this:

Both nice, but I prefer the way you had it originally. I'm a sucker for a three inch barrel.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
There's one of those up for sale at the pawn shop down the street, in like new conditions (with box), for about two grand. Nice guns, but being chambered in .38 Special (and being N-Frames) has always made them a deal-breaker for me, however.

I bet, however, that you could load up some .38 Special to Magnum levels, and that big gun could easily handle it.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Might have to take this one out of mothballs for the new CMP Distinguished Service Revolver match. Shooting one-handed in a bullseye match is definitely a challenge.
Bob

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
There's one of those up for sale at the pawn shop down the street, in like new conditions (with box), for about two grand. Nice guns, but being chambered in .38 Special (and being N-Frames) has always made them a deal-breaker for me, however.

I bet, however, that you could load up some .38 Special to Magnum levels, and that big gun could easily handle it.
I bought both my Heavy Duty and my Outdoorsman when they were the unwanted stepchildren to S&W collectors. I gave $400 for the HD and $200 for the OD.
I’ve shot 173gr Lyman Keith bullets at 1175fps out of them and it’s pretty much exactly like shooting factory 357 ammo out of a M27 or 28. Certainly doesn’t give the impression that it’s straining the revolver.

But I haven’t found much that I do with a 38/357 revolver that I can do with that load that I can’t do with the same bullet over 5.5gr of Unique. The best side benefit is that the milder Unique load doesn’t ring your ears as badly as the 357 level stuff.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For some true recoil taming weight, the Colt Shooting Master is just the thing mild 38 loads.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RGK
Shooting one-handed in a bullseye match is definitely a challenge.
Bob
It most certainly is, Bob. And, 99-4x sure ain’t bad.

I shot Bullseye 2700 matches on the Yuma Proving Ground Pistol Team as an MP, having been drafted off the CHP. While most used semi autos for everything, I used a K-38 for the Centerfire Component and a K-22 for the Rimfire Component. Couldn’t get my hands on a .45ACP revolver for that component, so used a NM 1911. I used the revolvers in order to stay in shape for my return to the CHP when my hitch was up. Thumbing the hammer for each shot during the Rapid Fire Stage required a strict shooting cadence in order to get five good shots off within the ten second time limit at 25 yards. Didn’t always work, I can tell you.

That Army Pistol Team duty was an absolutely outstanding supplemental income source. Each month, it was one weekend TDY to San Diego and another weekend TDY to Phoenix for pre-scheduled pistol matches. I shared transportation, food and lodging expenses with a U.S. Border Patrol draftee MP on the Pistol Team to save money. We could easily live on the surplus TDY pay each month and bank our entire regular Army pay. The Army absolutely refused to accept return of any of the TDY pay, or for that matter any unused ammo, as it would screw up their accounting. I tried once, and was unceremoniously ejected from the Quartermaster’s office. Tax dollars at work, eh?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
LOL!
I thought the OP was more of a 1911 guy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RGK
Shooting one-handed in a bullseye match is definitely a challenge.
Bob
It most certainly is, Bob. And, 99-4x sure ain’t bad.

I shot Bullseye 2700 matches on the Yuma Proving Ground Pistol Team as an MP, having been drafted off the CHP. While most used semi autos for everything, I used a K-38 for the Centerfire Component and a K-22 for the Rimfire Component. Couldn’t get my hands on a .45ACP revolver for that component, so used a NM 1911. I used the revolvers in order to stay in shape for my return to the CHP when my hitch was up. Thumbing the hammer for each shot during the Rapid Fire Stage required a strict shooting cadence in order to get five good shots off within the ten second time limit at 25 yards. Didn’t always work, I can tell you.

That Army Pistol Team duty was an absolutely outstanding supplemental income source. Each month, it was one weekend TDY to San Diego and another weekend TDY to Phoenix for pre-scheduled pistol matches. I shared transportation, food and lodging expenses with a U.S. Border Patrol draftee MP on the Pistol Team to save money. We could easily live on the surplus TDY pay each month and bank our entire regular Army pay. The Army absolutely refused to accept return of any of the TDY pay, or for that matter any unused ammo, as it would screw up their accounting. I tried once, and was unceremoniously ejected from the Quartermaster’s office. Tax dollars at work, eh?

The 625-2 .45 aco (upper gun in first photo) would have done the trick for you.

As this 25-2 would have, as well.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by local_dirt
The 625-2 .45 aco (upper gun in first photo) would have done the trick for you.

As this 25-2 would have, as well.

Unfortunately, back in 1971, the most suitable.45ACP revolver available was the 1955 Target (M-25). And, I just couldn’t seem to find one anywhere, in those days so long before Shotgun News, the internet and hugely expanded gun shows.

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,794
Posts18,496,193
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.