Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I will agree that firing "tens of thousands" of rounds can erode a barrel, isn't that possible with any caliber? World champion Silhouette shooter David Bradshaw did most of the original testing of the 357 Maximum for Bill Ruger & he is still shooting #18 with great success. He's also the one who designed the bullet I mentioned. But if there is someone more knowledgeable than him, perhaps they can speak up. And yes the 375 Supermag is a dandy caliber also.
Dick

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Dan Wesson decided to roll with it, or saw something different and continued to make 357 Maximums years after Ruger disbanded their Maximum frame, also being investment cast.

I believe it was a concern, but I believe over time the issue has been proven much ado about nothing.

I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
HawkI, of course you are correct as usual. It was the light weight bullets with ball powders for the most part that shot down the Maximum but it's possible it will never return, too bad if that's the case but I do know there are a "couple" of industry people interested, all I can say. All we can do is hope. Many said Ruger would never bring out a 5 shot 480 either!

Dick

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nice shooting. Nice gun. Also a classic though discontinued mount if I am seeing correctly .. redfield 3-ring? I had one on a 10-1/2" .44 with a 4x Leupold at one time.

I'd love to have a Ruger .357 Maxi. Stainless would be nice.

Regarding top strap flame cutting, I really don't see why the .357 maxi would be any worse than the .454 Bisleys. Big charges of spherical powder at high pressure should be big charges of spherical powder at high pressure. It would seem to me they must have resolved it 'cause the .454s are still in production.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Non-357 Maximum with 357 Max performance... John Taffin did extensive testing with the then new Freedom Arms 353. He loaded 357 magnum ammo in the FA-83 to equal and exceeding the 357 Max! Yes this is 357 magnum ammo that would grenade just about any other 357 magnum revolver.

However, with careful reloading you can have your SS 357 Max revolver...it just costs one hell of a lot more than a Ruger.

Dick, congrats on the deer!

Last edited by CraigD; 10/20/22.
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
I will agree that firing "tens of thousands" of rounds can erode a barrel,
Dick

It doesn't take 10s of thousands of rounds to erode the forcing cone of a magnum revolver barrel.

I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
You're the one that said it, not me. CraigD, I was shooting with Bob Baker one day & he told me the velocity he was getting with his 357 magnum FA & I was shocked by what he told me. I shot it for about an hour one day at Raton, New Mexico. He had taken an antelope at a very long distance a few months earlier with it with one shot. Not sure how long the brass would last but for sure his loads were faster than my 357 Maximum. Extremely accurate & tight tolerances make things happen.

Dick

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
You're the one that said it, not me. CraigD, I was shooting with Bob Baker one day & he told me the velocity he was getting with his 357 magnum FA & I was shocked by what he told me. I shot it for about an hour one day at Raton, New Mexico. He had taken an antelope at a very long distance a few months earlier with it with one shot. Not sure how long the brass would last but for sure his loads were faster than my 357 Maximum. Extremely accurate & tight tolerances make things happen.

Dick

Bill Ruger, Jr. and David Bradshaw shot the first 2 prototype Ruger 357 Maximums with load that ran 70 to 75 thoussnd PSI and shot cases of them. They knew about flame cutting the top strap but it stopped rather soon after it started and produced them anyway. Bill, Jr. and David tried to talk Bill, Sr. out of stopping production.

Last edited by jwp475; 10/21/22.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/ruger-357-maximum/

"Although factory testing included firing tens of thousands of rounds of commercially loaded cartridges, along with a variety of specially formulated handloads, in several production revolvers, problems subsequently developed with barrel erosion, as well as erosion of the topstrap…which led to withdrawing the Maximum revolver from the production line."

This is not 100% correct

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Dick

It doesn't take 10s of thousands of rounds to erode the forcing cone of a magnum revolver barrel.

How many does it take?

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by jwp475
Dick

How many does it take?

I guess it depends. But about 2000 rounds will cook the rear of a .44 magnum Blackhawk barrel pretty good. But .44 magnum Blackhawks don't gas cut the top strap very much.

On the other hand, S&W magnum revolvers don't cook the forcing cone of the barrel very much but they gas cut the top strap pretty quick. .357s are worse about than .44 magnums. The worst gas cutting I've experienced on one of my revolvers was a S&W 686.

Not very many people really put a lot of rounds through firearms. Playing the IHMSA game will give you a good idea what lots of shooting does to a revolver when you're shooting high pressure ammo.

The gap between a cylinder and a barrel is a very hostile environment when shooting 35,000 psi ammo.

Industry standard pressure on the Maximum is 40,000 psi.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have been looking a buying a Henry single shot rifle and having it rebored to 357 max. Low recoil but still deadly on the muzzle end of the rifle. It would meet the new straight walled cartridge specs for a couple of states, MD and DE.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by cs2blue
I have been looking a buying a Henry single shot rifle and having it rebored to 357 max. Low recoil but still deadly on the muzzle end of the rifle. It would meet the new straight walled cartridge specs for a couple of states, MD and DE.

Personally I would try to find a 357 Magnum Henry single shot rifle and rechamber it.

I'm a huge fan of the 357 Maximum and wish it was factory available. Unfortunately without factory ammo I don't think it will happen. Also, the 350 Legend has cemented itself into existence so much that S&W has chambered revolvers as such.

All of the Urinary Olympics aside, congrats on the fine casting, coating, loading, and shooting!

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Bravo! I'm becoming a believer in this cartridge.

I have a .357 Maximum, but in a 26" rifle not a revolver. I wouldn't mind a stainless Ruger to go with it.

The velocity increase with 16" more barrel is pretty impressive. I have a few of those bullets to try also, I need to shake a leg. So far the 200gr. RCBS FN and Lee 200gr. FN have returned good performance with velocities in the 1800fps neighborhood, as well as the 180 XTP. It's definitely gonna get some "air time" this season. Please pardon my showing it off.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What's that weigh?
It looks like a dandy sneaking around gun.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I don't know how many rounds I've fired through this 357 Maximum, I've owned 4 of them & all have shot well except one spit a lot of powder out the cylinder gap. Even it shot well but it was annoying. The one I have now probably has 3500-4000 rounds through it & you can see from the left handed group at 75 yds above that it still shoots just fine. I don't shoot ball powders through it & I fully expect it to last a life time with fine accuracy. I have no idea whether Ruger will ever make them again or not but I think there were lots of lessons learned from the first go around.
A stainless gun sure would be nice, we will just have to wait & see. Handgun hunting is more popular than ever & I still think a low recoiling, long range gun has it's place, and from what I've read on several other forums a lot of hunters feel the same way.

Dick

Last edited by Idaho1945; 10/23/22.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This thread is the perfect example of people regurgitating information they read on the internet and in magazines, then repeat it as fact, without having any personal, first hand experience with the subject matter.

This whole (and I am paraphrasing here) "you can't do that, as the topstrap cutting and barrel erosion will be too bad." is the perfect example. People without any firsthand experience simply parrot what they read elsewhere and it has become "Internet fact".

Idaho1945 actually does has firsthand experience and decades of it proving that the "Internet fact" is simply wrong, but people want to argue with him.
Referring to an article in a magazine means very little. Anybody can write an article, and these days, pretty much anyone does, most of whom should not, due to the fact that they are generally ignorant of their subject matter. Usually they are repeating what they have heard, without going out and getting some first hand experience. The cycle of erroneous information continues..

Bristoe,

How many thousands of rounds of .357 Maximum have you personally fired through Rugers?

Not what you read about, or your friend claimed he fired, but you, personally fired?

If Ruger decided they wanted to produce new .357 max guns, and if top strap erosion was truly a significant issue, beyond cosmetic, Ruger could take a page from S&W and use a replaceable blast shield, such as the ones seen on the Scandium Model 329.

This reminds me of someone at the bottom of a mountain telling someone else that it is impossible to climb a mountain, while the other person is already sitting on top.

SMH

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Amen Mackay

But then again I never thought I’d see Bristoe post anything hunting/shooting related anyway. Seems all he knows how to do is be a curmudgeon and hole up in a hotel when the weather gets bad. Guess he doesn’t know how influential Dick and the guys are with Lipsey’s and if they clamor for it, their track record shows that there’s a pretty good chance it’ll come to fruition.

And congrats Dick on the buck. How’d the rest of the boys do on the elk?

I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I would love to be able to say a little bit more about this but I can't. I would also like to show the video of the Montana white tail I shot at 123 yds facing me but don't know how. One shot kill & went right down. Would also like to show the photo of the one I shot at 180 ys & the one at just under 220 yds but if you weren't there you wouldn't believe it anyway. Both one shot kills.
Mbogo2106, one of the other grandson's got a 6X6 bull this morning, it closes tomorrow. They are out there now, getting it out, I'll try to show photo's tomorrow, thanks. As I was reading John's reply I got this photo of another one of my grandson's with his 5X5 bull, 750 yds ranged with his 280 Ackley Improved, 2 shots, both were hits.
First photo is a buck taken at just under 220 yds with the 10.5" 357 Maximum & 173 gr Keith bullet, second buck was at a range 180 yds with a 180 gr cast bull. The antelope was on a Utah depredation hunt at 155 yds with a 180 gr cast bullet. The doe mule deer was on the same Utah depredation hunt at 136 yds with the 357 Maximum & the same 180 gr cast bullet. This was with 2 different Maximums. I have a lot more, plus the video.
Dick

Last edited by Idaho1945; 10/23/22.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I would love to be able to say a little bit more about this but I can't. I would also like to show the video of the Montana white tail I shot at 123 yds facing me but don't know how. One shot kill & went right down. Would also like to show the photo of the one I shot at 180 ys & the one at just under 220 yds but if you weren't there you wouldn't believe it anyway. Both one shot kills.
Mbogo2106, one of the other grandson's got a 6X6 bull this morning, it closes tomorrow. They are out there now, getting it out, I'll try to show photo's tomorrow, thanks.

Dick

Very believable Dick. The 194 grain Bradshaw Martin bullet powder coated at 10-11 brinel expands and holds together like a bonded bullet and would be very deadly.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mbogo2106, one of the other grandson's got a 6X6 bull this morning, it closes tomorrow. They are out there now, getting it out, I'll try to show photo's tomorrow, thanks. As I was reading John's reply I got this photo of another one of my grandson's with his 5X5 bull, 750 yds ranged with his 280 Ackley Improved, 2 shots, both were hits.
First photo is a buck taken at just under 220 yds with the 10.5" 357 Maximum & 173 gr Keith bullet, second buck was at a range 180 yds with a 180 gr cast bull. The antelope was on a Utah depredation hunt at 155 yds with a 180 gr cast bullet. The doe mule deer was on the same Utah depredation hunt at 136 yds with the 357 Maximum & the same 180 gr cast bullet. This was with 2 different Maximums. I have a lot more, plus the video.

Dick

Very nice and great shooting on the buck in the 1st post.

I'm assuming the 173gr Keith performed well for you also? I have a bunch loaded with 2400 and they shoot great out of my 6 inch Security Six. I've been threatening for years to use it on deer.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (35, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 338Rules, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 15 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,648
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.