Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by rufous
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Wait 6-12 months. If not you’re going to be underwater on that mortgage for the foreseeable future. The smart money is cashed up waiting for buying opportunities.
Same with buying vehicles.

Well we haven't found a house to buy yet but I don't see any real change in the market here in my area. Are you all still thinking that a recession is looming? Some of the houses we have considered have sold for asking price or more. Some have dropped in price a few times and still are on the market but still overpriced.

None of the markets I track in VA and WV have softened.

Hell... a lot in Brandywine WV (almost zero appeal) just sold at $30k/acre... in my mind it was worth $5k maybe... Some idiot with Montana tags on a late model F350 and mag wheels.

Who the fugg knows anymore...

I sure as chit do not see this economic game of musical chairs ending well.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Market around here has slowed somewhat this summer, but many houses are still selling above asking. Expected to stay strong through the year regardless of interest rates. I'd love to sell my house in this market but can't afford the asking prices of what I'd replace it with.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Wait 6-12 months. If not you’re going to be underwater on that mortgage for the foreseeable future. The smart money is cashed up waiting for buying opportunities.
Same with buying vehicles.

Well we haven't found a house to buy yet but I don't see any real change in the market here in my area. Are you all still thinking that a recession is looming? Some of the houses we have considered have sold for asking price or more. Some have dropped in price a few times and still are on the market but still overpriced.

Where are you looking? NWA is booming and prices are ridiculous. Too damn many people from California and Arizona moving into the neighborhoods offering well above asking.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Couple of suggestions if you’re not in a bind to move. Get on the realtor.com app. Start filtering according to what you want and want to spend. When you pull up a particular property scroll down to valuations. In the areas I’m looking the trend lines for three outfits doing the numbers are trending down. The big bump up for preferred areas started in 2020 and has continued until a couple months ago. Looking in my crystal ball I see a tumble coming. YMMV. Unfortunately as mentioned above interest rates are increasing. Fed will most likely bump up this month and more before year’s end. With the amount of cash you’re holding you may not need a mortgage by the fall. We’re looking as well but have all our belongings in storage and can’t wait as long as I would prefer. I just can’t see existing housing prices increasing. Valuations just got stupid for a while. Time to reverse.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a cousin that is a home builder in C. AR, and he tells me it’s hot as ever. He’s starting a new subdivision next month and will probably have most lots sold in the first month he expects. As mentioned every market is different, but if you are in NW AR, I don’t see it slowing down anytime soon.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootem
Get on the realtor.com app. Start filtering according to what you want and want to spend. .

I've never downloaded the Realtor.Com app but I use their website often.

I get a better idea of what's going on in the areas I keep an eye on by viewing 'recently sold' properties and what they actually sold for.

Posted asking prices are all over the board and often just a pipe dream of a figure.

The homes that sold and closed brings things much more into reality. Kinda let's me know how much I should be offering.

After I select my area of interest I find those numbers on the Realtor.Com main page from their drop down menu to the left of their title.

[Linked Image]

Clicking on that gives me the option to choose 'recently sold' view.

[Linked Image]

Now you're looking at the real facts about prices in your area.

Best of luck, hope you find what you're searching for and don't sweat the interest rates, you can always refinance later if a better deal comes along.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A neighbor down the road a bit listed their place for $1.2MM last weekend. It sold a few days ago at asking price with cash. Folks retiring from Chicago apparently.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
rufous Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
My job is in Altus so I am looking from about London to the east to Alma to the west. Possibly down to Paris or Charleston. Hoping to have a commute of not more than about 30 minutes.

R
rufous Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
JeffA, thanks for that tip. I didn't know about that. I look on Zillow and Realtor.com daily to see if there might be new Listings of interest but will now also be checking that sold for price info.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Fixed rate, whatever ya do.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My job is in Altus so I am looking from about London to the east to Alma to the west. Possibly down to Paris or Charleston. Hoping to have a commute of not more than about 30 minutes.

OK. I'd think that area would be pretty soft as not a lot of growth. Are there many new builds or is it mostly older homes?
Lived in Ozark and enjoyed that community, but it's been awhile since I was there.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am looking to buy my 4th home. The last home I bought was in 2016 and I sold it in April of 2021. I have been renting since then. Mortgage rates have gone up a bunch since 2016 when I got my last mortgage. I need to get a pre approval letter from a lender but am not sure how best to proceed. I am not an expert in obtaining mortgages but basically hope to find a lender with low fees and low rates. As I remember it, some lenders have lower fees and lower interest rates than others.

I have enough cash from the sale of home number 3 to put anywhere from about 50 to 80% down on the next home.

I have a checking account with US Bank with what will be our down payment in that account and it seems their fees are reasonable but I have not done much shopping around yet.

Anyway, I wonder if some of you might offer some advice or tips on how best to secure the best mortgage. Thanks!

Mortgage broker.

With what you said, you can get some pretty sweet terms.

Look into local mortgage brokers. Ask your friends and business associates who they used as a mortgage broker. And do your due diligence.

Best options are available through mortgage brokers. Shop around because costs and terms vary quite a bit. Do not just go to your bank.

Montana MOFO
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
With 80% I'd find a lot to buy, then build, doing as much work as you can, subbing the stuff you can't out... no mortgage.

Kent

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not seeing the market drop as much as it should over the last year or two. Plateau or more realistic prices, yes. Waiting for another 2008? I don’t see it.
Banks are more cautious lending home loans, more $ down and tight credit check/assets, they are making sure people have skin in the game .
People also want out of big cities and move into smaller, safer towns. With so many that can work from home/zoom, the prices will stay up.

Last edited by Dre; 07/08/23.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM
A neighbor down the road a bit listed their place for $1.2MM last weekend. It sold a few days ago at asking price with cash. Folks retiring from Chicago apparently.

That sort of thing will always happen, just as some price drops in the neighborhood of 100k on an 899k listed property will happen. More often though, the decreases are running around 50K.

We are currently selling our rental home to generate some cash. Our primary home should net us a nice bundle once everyone is paid off at closing. Combining those funds with freed up cash in savings will bring us to a possible $890K down payment. We are seeing 30 year rates of around 6.5%, but would shop a 15 yr mortgage looking to pay down any extra debt quickly. We are going in with a strong credit rating, a strong cash position, 22 yr employment history, and a pissed off attitude about sh*thole Washington state.

Some say that there is a shortage of single family homes driving the market. One thing is certain...the mid 2023 crash which some expected did not materialize.

Last edited by 3584ELK; 07/08/23. Reason: Grammar

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
R
rufous Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
There aren't many new builds in my area. I will try to find a good mortgage broker.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
Originally Posted by EdM

That sort of thing will always happen, just as some price drops in the neighborhood of 100k on an 899k listed property will happen. More often though, the decreases are running around 50K.

We are currently selling our rental home to generate some cash. Our primary home should net us a nice bundle once everyone is paid off at closing. Combining those funds with freed up cash in savings will bring us to a possible $890K down payment. We are seeing 30 year rates of around 6.5%, but would shop a 15 yr mortgage looking to pay down any extra debt quickly. We are going in with a strong credit rating, a strong cash position, 22 yr employment history, and a pissed off attitude about sh*thole Washington state.

Some say that there is a shortage of single family homes driving the market. One thing is certain...the mid 2023 crash which some expected did not materialize.

It's a lot about region.

Some areas shift with the economy faster than others.

I too have a neighbor that listed his waterfront home recently.
This is his listing

As you can see in the data in the listing he went to market at $1.5M on 04/18/2023.

18 months ago this home would have sold inside of two weeks at asking price or above.
With no bites he dropped the price to $1,397,900 on 05/07/2023 in attempt to find his market.

Not getting any hits he again lowered his asking price to $1,345,000 on 05/24/2023.

He's fishing for the sweet spot with his asking price, and I'm sure there is a potential buyer or two watching to see how low he's willing to go. If nothing happens at his current price he'll likely pull the listing and wait it out like many are doing right now.

NW Montana is following a similar trend, homes aren't selling as quickly as they were over the last couple years and those that have sold have been selling at 15 to 20% less.

Not as many new listings today as we had been seeing due to this trend, those that can are just waiting out this dip in prices before they list.

I know investors that would typically have two or three homes listed that today have none on the market, they are sitting on them.

But they are buying the deals that come along listed by those that are forced to sell.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Around here the supply is limited which is keeping prices up. They are not crazy high, just firm. Houses in the "sweet spot" of $250,000 or less are very limited. Folks locked into ultra low mortgage rates can't afford to move.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Anyway, I wonder if some of you might offer some advice or tips on how best to secure the best mortgage. Thanks!

Best thing IMO to do is start making phone calls to banks, loan companies, and credit unions you can join and discuss what you want.
It is all about two things, interest rates and closing costs.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Bank loans are horrible.

IMHO find a title company (or their lawyer) and get a quote from who they recommend as NOT being a brokedick dumbass bank underwriter.

Title people know how to get chit CLOSED with the least amount of bullchit drama.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 44 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,710
Posts18,475,395
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.