Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Thack Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I hope this part of the forum can get going I have been looking for a good fly fishing forum lets have a sound of to see if any one is here.<P>Thack

Thack<P>"Its not how big your gun is it is where you put the bullet."
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Oh yeah! I flyfish small streams for trout, ponds for bluegill, do some squirrel hunting and am always looking for that last bit of accuracy out of my .22! Just don't do any big game hunting anymore.<BR>JB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been flyfishing for about 32 years. I fish in streams, rivers, lakes and saltwater.My home,here in Maine, is close to all kinds of good fishing water. I tie most of the flies that I use and someday hope to build some bamboo fly rods. I prefer the cane rods in freshwater and use the glass and graphites in the ocean. Incidently, to me there's two kinds of flyfishing: one is with bucktails and streamers,the other isn't.

A
A
I have been flyfishing for 36 years. I tie my own flies and build my bamboo rods, I consider bamboo to be the best rod material for trout fishing. Here is one of the rods I built <A HREF="http://www.webjogger.net/ayerry/p8.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.webjogger.net/ayerry/p8.jpg</A> I agree with th pevious post that there is flyfishing(nymphs,wet and dry flies) and there is fishing with a fly rod(streamers).<BR>

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I'll jump in here. I live in southeast Idaho, and I'm within a day trip of some of the best trout fishing in the world - the Henry's and South forks of the Snake, the Madison, the Yellowstone, the Gallatin...the list goes on. I spend a lot of time in my driftboat with my wife and two sons, or with buddies, and we do a fair number of one and two night trips on the rivers, camping wherever it looks good when it's time to pull over for the night. But that doesn't mean I'm averse to smaller streams or stillwater - I love that, too. I tie nearly all my own flies, with the exception of an exotic pattern or two that I won't use more than once or twice and so can't justify the time or materials to tie for myself. I have zero experience with saltwater; it's on my list, but my list is a long one. I'm not a real "techie" when it comes to equipment - just give me good graphite rods, machined reels and high quality lines, and I'm happy. What really turns me on is just being out there doing it. If we could get a good board going on flyfishing, that would be ideal - I could come to one place to satisfy all (OK, most) of my obsessions!

IC B2

T
Thack Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Greggun <BR>good to see you post her I have tried somewhat to spark some interest but usualy I am the onlyu one posting so try and help me out if you will. Excatly what part of southern Idaho are you from I am fairly familar with southern I daho I used to work in rexburg rigby area! loved that area if I could I would let work take me back. I currently reside in Logan Utah so I am not to far from Idaho.<P>------------------<BR>Thack<P>"Its not how big your gun is it is where you put the bullet."<p>[This message has been edited by Thack (edited January 30, 2001).]

Thack<P>"Its not how big your gun is it is where you put the bullet."
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Hello, Thack. I'm 48 miles south of south of Idaho Falls, in Pocatello. It's a great place to live if you fly fish. To the south, you have great stillwater (and some blue ribbon streams we like to think are a secret); to the north - well, you know what we have up there: everything.<P>What about you, Thack. What puts you in Logan? What do you do for a living? <P>OK, here's something for us to discuss: Is the new and incredible popularity of fly fishing killing the sport? Are we loving it to death? Or, is it the case that with its popularity, influence can be brought to bear to keep it safe, the waters pristine, the public's awareness of the economic impact of fly fishing raised?<P>We can also talk about fly patterns and stuff like that if you want. There's a great article in the new Fly Fisherman about PMD patterns, by Rene Harrop. PMD patterns have been a mainstay for me for years now. Do you tie? If not, you need to. It's one of the pathways into getting a lot out of this sport. <P>Thanks for following up, Thack.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I fly fish some for trout in SC,NC and GA.I also flyfish occassionally in ponds for bluegill and bass.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
JohnDuarte<BR>i live in Maine also . i was wondering if you knew any good small streams to flyfish for brook trout? last year was my first year flyfishing i didnt catch anything but i hope to this year. i tie some flies my self also. i also do alot of hunting. do you do any hunting? <BR>YoungHunter

MARLIN 35Rem. THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I'm not what you'd call an "accomplished" fly fisherman, but I have a lot of fun at it. Most of the time, I fish rivers and lakes for crappies, bass and bluegill. I have caught a few trout in small streams, but they are so brushy around here that I generally go with an ultra-light spinning rod, instead. <BR>I really enjoy reading about this sport, and am looking forward to learning what I can from all of you on this forum. This is really a great site, btw! I just found it.<P>L.C.

IC B3

B
B
I would hope so. I have been in some so called fishing chat rooms where Everybody was just doing thier own things and noone talking fishing. I didn't understand it. But, as opposed to some others I am a diehard dryfly fisherman. If your going to fish with a streamer, you might as well use a spinner.<BR>

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Beaverkill: If your going to fish with a streamer, you might as well use a spinner.[/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Beaverkill,<P> Why is that?<P>

B
B
Loud Cloud,<BR>Actually there is nothing wrong with streamer fishing, as there is nothing wrong with fishing with spinning gear. As long as you obey the local game laws and act responsibly. It was more of a response to some earlier posts who I thought were implying something against dry fly fishing. Personally I prefer the dry fly over the other methods.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have been using flyrods since the Shakespere wonder rod was the one to have. Looks like 39 years now. Still have that rod by the way and it still catches fish! <P> It all started near Rochester, NY for bluegills and a few bass in the 60s. Now I am out west and use a newer graphite setup for smallmouths and largemouths at Lake Powell. <BR> <BR> I have been fishing the Madison River for 11 years. I tie a few simple patterns.I agree if I had a choice drys are the way to go. <P> I fish with a gentleman who has fished the Madison since the 50's, Don Prentice. He fished it before the "quake". He and another guy Ken McCoven, invented the serendipity. We call it the brown devil, or some call it the campfire special. We all stay at the �ampfire Lodge campground every July. It is between Quake and Hebken lakes.<BR> Ross Marigold promoted the serendipity heavily before he died, many believe he was the inventor. Ross died as all of us might want to....face down in the river, not in a hosital bed..<P> FYI I hate to tie flies.. but you have to have spares...would rather be fishing or even reloading!<P>good fishing<P>

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Does anyone here fish for bluegills? i was wondering what flie you used for them? <BR>YoungHunter

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have used the gold-ribbed hare's ear with great success. I think you'll find that they are not fussy eaters, though, and many others will do just fine. They are much fun to catch, if that counts for anything. Go for it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes, for about 35 years. Panfish, bass and trout have been taken but this year I'm setting up for muskie. We have a fine muskie impoundment about 45 minutes from here and I'm going to give it a shot.<P>Wall<P>------------------<BR>"...please be with me in all that I do, and keep me from all evil and disaster!"<BR>I Chronicles 4:10

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Another fun "fly" (it's not really a fly, but fun all the same) is a micro-light popper. It's a tiny little popper with just a bit of CDC feather for a tail. They're made specifically to cast with a fly rod. Around here you can buy them in any of the fly shops. They come in a variety of colors, and they're just a hoot to catch bluegill with when they're in the shallows spawning, because you get action on top.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
YoungHunter, I don't know of any small streams that are good brook trout water. But I've caught some in the Crooked River in the vicinity of Scribner's Mills. I'm not too crazy about small water, I like fishing rivers and salt water. Like you I'm an avid hunter. Where in Maine do you live?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
John Duarte<BR>I live in the Buxton area, i dont know if you know where Buxton is but its right outside of Gorham.. I have heard about the Crooked River having good brookies in it, i will hopefully get up there this spring..I know of a few small waters in the area where there are brook trout.. have you heard of spicer pond in shapleigh it has nice brookies. What kind of game do u like to hunt? i hunt mostly deer and small game such as squirrels and patridge.. i want to get into black bear hunting.. and i will hopefully get a moose permit this year..<BR>YoungHunter<BR>

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, afisher, 8 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,324
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.