C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Maybe God is sleeping at the time.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of great answers here. You guys done good!

All I will say is.....Amen!

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On second thought...I will also add that our prayer is not to change God's mind (He is immutable) but to allow our connection with Him to change us.

So when we pray FOR someone, God is also communing with and changing US.

USMC 0351

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I pray for them to receive healing and to learn what they need to from the experience. I pray for their loved ones to find comfort. Our flesh makes us vulnerable to a lot of suffering, but it also allows us to create and grow spiritually.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by killahog
So if the creator is all knowing one would assume he or she knew in advance of the accident or injury, how would praying change the outcome of the situation. It was part of God's plan to begin with.
Dwaynes’s response is top-notch, as his responses typically are.

One promise Jesus made that we don’t like is that we would have suffering in this world. We were promised suffering. It’s part of living in a broken world. Is it easier to accept this when it happens to the lives of others instead of ours...? Yes it is. But it doesn’t change the reality of Jesus’ promise. But He also promised…as difficult and insurmountable as it may seem at the time…that we can obtain peace, and encourages us to still have hope because He has overcome this world in which we will have trouble.

We do not have to be afraid or dismayed, even when there’s something to be afraid of or dismayed because of, because Jesus is with us...and we need not fear anything or be dismayed...because we have been invited to submit ourselves and surrender our fears and disheartenment to a God who loves us, who is with us, who’s not surprised by anything that’s happening to us or in our lives, and will walk with us through it.

If any of us lacks wisdom or perspective concerning these hardships, we can ask God, and it will be given to us. That’s a promise.

So why pray for relief if we are going to suffer? I'm still working on that myself. I understand that prayers are not a quarter and God is not a jukebox, but we are told to pray for relief.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
When a child crawls into his dads' 'lap' with a 'problem' - sometimes it gets 'fixed', sometimes it doesn't, but it doesn't stop the child from going to dads' 'lap'.....

Prayer, itself, says/speaks more to the one praying than the 'issue'.......

IMHO

And what BC said...

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by plumbum
So why pray for relief if we are going to suffer? I'm still working on that myself. I understand that prayers are not a quarter and God is not a jukebox, but we are told to pray for relief.
That’s a good question, and one that many of us struggle with. In those intense moments of suffering, when we ask God for one thing more than anything else ~ relief from suffering ~ sometimes the specific relief that we want is denied. But in those instances, maybe God wants to provide us with something more ~ much more and much greater ~ than the specific relief that we want.

In those painful and confused and lonely moments…especially when the answer to our prayer is a big fat “NO”…God often becomes more real to us than we ever would have known any other way. We often are most keenly aware of God's presence and character in our suffering. C.S. Lewis said that God whispers to us when things are going our way…speaks in our consciences…but shouts to us in our suffering ~ to arouse a deaf world.

I think the point is…when the answer to our specific request from suffering is denied…God can still use our suffering to strengthen and encourage us to trust Him and to know that He is still working in our lives despite a “no” answer to our prayer.

Side note: Every single person who puts their trust and confidence in Jesus is likely grateful that God the Father said “NO” to His Son in the garden of Gethsemane.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MSmitty7
Luke 18:1-8
Parable of the Persistent Widow
One day Jesus told his disciples a story to show that they should always pray and never give up. “There was a judge in a certain city,” he said, “who neither feared God nor cared about people. A widow of that city came to him repeatedly, saying, ‘Give me justice in this dispute with my enemy.’ The judge ignored her for a while, but finally he said to himself, ‘I don’t fear God or care about people, but this woman is driving me crazy. I’m going to see that she gets justice, because she is wearing me out with her constant requests!’”
Then the Lord said, “Learn a lesson from this unjust judge. Even he rendered a just decision in the end. So don’t you think God will surely give justice to his chosen people who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you, he will grant justice to them quickly! But when the Son of Man returns, how many will he find on the earth who have faith?”

1 John 5:13-15
I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life. And we are confident that he hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases him. And since we know he hears us when we make our requests, we also know that he will give us what we ask for.
This^
Jesus said if we ask anything in his name he'll do it if it's the will of his Father. That's reassuring, because I'm not wise enough to always know the right thing to pray. The Holy Spirit intercede for us in prayer. When I get serious about prayer the Holy Spirit brings scripture to the front of my mind. I believe at that point God is truly talking to me. Besides all that, it brings me peace.

Romans 5:1
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Days gwine bee hole slew foaks surprised kum judgemint day!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by killerv
Friend of mine just got his daughter out of the hospital after a month when a someone crossed lanes and hit her head on. The guy wont stop talking about the power of prayer now. He's never been so close to God as he is now.
God knows what will bring a person closer to him, if anything will. Sometimes it's suffering or tragedy. Our life here is very short compared to eternity and a miserable short life is worth it if it brings an eternal happy life.

Always keep in mind Paul's ''thorn in the flesh". He had some physical affliction that he prayed long and hard for God to take away. He never says what it is but most scholars believe it was near blindness. He says that God told him to be happy with what he had and Paul accepted that 'no' as God's word.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It might not help; but, it certainly couldn't hurt.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Has anyone heard God answer your prayer ?
I have !
One of my sons went into the hospital with what we thought was a stroke.
That night, all alone, I prayed he be OK.
I heard a voice in that darkened room say " He'll be OK" I was so shocked I turned on the light to see who was in the room with me, NO ONE,
He was discharged the next day, false alarm.
That is an experience that will stay with me till I die.

Last edited by jbmi; 10/20/22.

"The older I get, the better I was"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am not trying to start a fight or ridicule anyone but when I hear of an accident, illness, or something unfortunate happening to someone . I often read people stating ( I will pray for them) So if the creator is all knowing one would assume he or she knew in advance of the accident or injury, how would praying change the outcome of the situation. It was part of God's plan to begin with.

Many good and relevant responses….excellent.

One reason we pray is because we are told to by the Word. “Pray without ceasing…”. “The prayer of a righteous man availeth much….” …. and so on….

And yes, it seems to me that one of the purposes of prayer is to “keep the commo lines open” between one and God.

Having said that….it seems to me that there are …..broadly… two main types of prayers…. Well at least two….

The first is what I would describe as a “petition.” I may not know what God’s will may be for me or someone else, but I may “petition” God and ask for His hand/involvement with me, someone else or with some issue. I have prayed His hand on folks who subsequently passed away….. btw… going to be with the Lord is a good thing and indeed may be an answer to prayer. I have also made petitions in behalf of others and been both astounded and pleased when we all could see the hand of God move. A petition is a request made for God’s hand or involvement with another person or situation. I am pretty sure God appreciates this type of prayer and although I usually am unaware or am not shown what God did, I really do expect that God listens and then acts as He chooses.

Another type of prayer is when the Holy Spirit lays some issue, circumstance or person on my heart and gives me the “urge….felt need…order….direction….or however one might describe it”….. but simply God directing me to pray in a certain direction…. Can be about “me” as well. Seems that these prayers almost always are such that the “hand or action” from God is shown to me. Maybe not right away…. Could be a year or two or more before God let’s me in on what He has done or is doing.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jbmi
Has anyone heard God answer your prayer ?
I have !
One of my sons went into the hospital with what we thought was a stroke.
That night, all alone, I prayed he be OK.
I heard a voice in that darkened room say " He'll be OK" I was so shocked I turned on the light to see who was in the room with me, NO ONE,
He was discharged the next day, false alarm.
That is an experience that will stay with me till I die.

Yes, me too. Never will forget.

I call these moments to mind to reassure myself that … yes, He is still here, still watching over me….still active in my life ..He is who He says He is and does what He says He will do.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances...for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

For me, in my own strength, impossible. But with God, all things are possible.

USMC 0351

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I'll pray for you" just sounds better than, "It sucks to be you".

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I pray all the time because it makes me feel great!

I especially pray for people and their family members of those that have been killed in the line of duty or service.

I love God, and Jesus is my lord and savior, AMEN

Cheers ~

KB

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I am not trying to start a fight or ridicule anyone but when I hear of an accident, illness, or something unfortunate happening to someone . I often read people stating ( I will pray for them) So if the creator is all knowing one would assume he or she knew in advance of the accident or injury, how would praying change the outcome of the situation. It was part of God's plan to begin with.

virtue signaling is a miracle worker and very popular throughout social media

Prayer is a very personal thing

Last edited by ribka; 10/20/22.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Houston_2

Don’t overlook the matter of humans having free will. He gives us a set of rules to live by and the rest is left up to us to follow or not.

Imploring his aid and blessings are never bad things.

Jmo

I broke down and cried when I read this ol toot. so profound God Bless you

WAP
AP
Polish real time news

Last edited by ribka; 10/20/22.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
If a sock puppet hiding her identity on here asks for prayers does God know her IP address? I pray for houston2 every day, I just hope God can find her.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 14,406 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,298
Posts18,545,334
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.