Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The Drolet’s look nice. When I got my Englander, years ago, they included a leg kit, to get rid of the ugly “pedestal” (I don’t know if legs are still an option, much less an included option). With the legs, it looks very similar to those.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
If a wood stove was my primary source of heat I would spend the money for a good stove and I’d recover the initial cost over time. For a cabin I think that US stove looks decent. I’ll be in the market for a couple down the road so I’ll file this away in the memory bank. 😁. Thanks
Stay away from the US wood stove pictured. Had one in a small cabin. Not a good choice. They are air leaking, cast and ill fitting at that. My 2 cents!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Stick one of these in there

I have one I used to keep in a 12x30 tractor stall for mechanic work.

They sure have went up.

Got mine for $35 at a yard sale 🤠

Side note, used to toss .357 mag ammo in it for fun. No harm came of it.

Has two cooktop ‘burners’ on it too

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]imageupload

If you go with with a boxwood stove like this one consider a draft setup like this. It will optimize the heating capacity of the stove and diminish drafts on the floor.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Been heating our home with a Lopi Republic {pronounced low pie} for 14 winters now with no complaints.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Anything by Vermont Castings. I use both the Vigilant and the Defiant models, but they make others as well.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Find yourself a used Fisher.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I stayed in a 2 room shack with a one eyed heat stove for 30 years. Replace the tin sides every 8 to 10 years and kept going.
It was a "Watters Fame"!
Have NO idea when it was made. It was my grandpa's and he "donated it to the "camp".
Camp closed in 1991. I stored the stove for umpteen years until I built our retirement home in 2002.
Installed the stove in the finished house in 2011. It heated our 1100 sq/ft home for 6 years. I pulled it apart to replace the sides. The bottom was cracked all to pieces.
For about $500, we got a "Made in China" model from Orscheln's. It's 1/4" welded steel w/sealed door. It heats the entire house and uses very little wood. A big flat top and we occassionally cook on it. Stuff like beans w/sausage. Saves a little propane.

If it's "air tight", you can set it up, damp it down and sleep all night.

Last edited by martinstrummer; 10/21/22.
D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Appreciate all the input. The stove will be installed in a mobile home that has an addition on it. There's no insulation in the single-wide. I'm leaning towards the Englander NC-32 as I need more BTUs due to lack of insulation. The Ashley circulator isn't producing the heat or I'm running it too cool. I'm burning seasoned hickory and oak.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Anything by Vermont Castings. I use both the Vigilant and the Defiant models, but they make others as well.
We have a Vigilant in our home. It is a beast. Best I can tell it’s over 300#, cast iron. Run it up, close it up, and will heat for hours. Cook on it too if that’s your thing or needs arise. 8” stove pipe and flue to chimney. It breathes well and all around easy to regulate.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A bit of Rockwool insulation might be in order. It's fireproof. Rodents seem to leave it alone. I bought some at Lowes. Good stuff. Highly recommend it. Dude on youtube was trying to ignite it using a blowtorch...no luck.

Could go a long way to make you more comfortable regardless of the stove you choose. Good luck.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
^^^^^^^^
This,I heat 3,000 sq feet with it..

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I cannot remember the last time I slept for more than 3 hours straight without being awakened by raccoon attacks vs dogs, distant random gunfire, Apache gunships, my own bladder, bubble guts, painful massive erections, one of 4 Dodge 2500s with straight pipes.

I mean, what’s the big fuss about chucking on another chunk of wood at 1:59 Am?? You gonna be up at 4:OO Am? This is DEER CAMP right?

Who defuk can canoozzell 8-9 fugking hours anyway

He asked about a stove for his deer camp, not living the rest of life at King Edward’s lodge

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I cannot remember the last time I slept for more than 3 hours straight without being awakened by raccoon attacks vs dogs, distant random gunfire, Apache gunships, my own bladder, bubble guts, painful massive erections, one of 4 Dodge 2500s with straight pipes.

I mean, what’s the big fuss about chucking on another chunk of wood at 1:59 Am?? You gonna be up at 4:OO Am? This is DEER CAMP right?

He asked about a stove for his deer camp, not living the rest of life at King Edward’s lodge

It’s not just the TIME. The cheapo will also require twice as much wood. Then, he’ll have to buy an $800 Stihl MS362 to feed the danged thing. At least, that’s what the Campfire will tell him.

Look at the Drolet’s and the Englander’s ($1000-$1200). The guy’s recommending $3500 Lopi’s need to put down the crack pipe.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahaha!

I sleep 30 mins at a time.

I am MAGA.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by devnull
Appreciate all the input. The stove will be installed in a mobile home that has an addition on it. There's no insulation in the single-wide. I'm leaning towards the Englander NC-32 as I need more BTUs due to lack of insulation. The Ashley circulator isn't producing the heat or I'm running it too cool. I'm burning seasoned hickory and oak.

Is the wood “dealer says it’s seasoned”, or is it “I know it was cut over two years ago” seasoned??

I only ask because my stove is HORRIBLE if I run anything that hasn’t been dried out over a year. The newer EPA stoves just don’t draw enough air (without doing some modifications) to burn wood with any serious moisture. OTOH, when I run stuff that is truly “well seasoned”, it’s fantastic.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Our insert we bought was like 3500!

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I have a Jotul Oslo for $2500. Great stove!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Here's my old barrel stove. There was a company named Sotz that made a kit to convert a barrel into a stove. Great stove! What a huge firebox.
Sotz company went away 25 years ago.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
If a wood stove was my primary source of heat I would spend the money for a good stove and I’d recover the initial cost over time. For a cabin I think that US stove looks decent. I’ll be in the market for a couple down the road so I’ll file this away in the memory bank. 😁. Thanks
Yup.

We have an Osburn 2400 and it's the main source of heat for the house - about 90% overall.. We have 2K+ sq. ft. and I use 4.5-5.0 full cords of wood/year..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by fburgtx

It’s not just the TIME. The cheapo will also require twice as much wood. Then, he’ll have to buy an $800 Stihl MS362 to feed the danged thing. At least, that’s what the Campfire will tell him.

Look at the Drolet’s and the Englander’s ($1000-$1200). The guy’s recommending $3500 Lopi’s need to put down the crack pipe.

Already have the Stihl 362 and a Echo 501P and a MS 250; I'm covered in that area. I cut and split my own wood two years prior to burning. Englander and Drolet is the price range I'm looking for. We bought this place few years back...Slum, I'm in TN as well (camp is near Fall Creek Falls). The trailer/add-on is a place to get us by until we can build something better. The Ashley that came with the place was run hot and hard.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,201
Posts18,485,216
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.