Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
And another one, he's good.

He had matching drops but has already broken one off. It was much more impressive when symmetrical. That said, we're going for a clean look and I wish he didn't have them at all. But whos complaining?

Yes, he's taking a leak in the first pic. Lighting caught it just right.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ok how many thousand did it cost to get the seed bucks?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Ok how many thousand did it cost to get the seed bucks?

Not nearly as much as you would think. Less than it would cost to go "hunt" one. Just got to have the right hook up.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There are many places that have large high fence deer pens, they put 15-20 Does in the pen and then put a big high scoring Buck in the pen, usually in the late fall before the rut, Buck will breed all the Does, then they will open the gates in April or early May, and let everything leave at will, before they drop their Fawns.

In the wild a White Tail Buck will average breeding 1.4 Does per year, the pen will greatly increase the production of big Bucks, hopefully increasing the size of the bucks on the place, and producing better over all quality Does. Some places bring in Bucks and Does, some capture nice Bucks and Does on their places.

They are not pen raising Deer, but are pen Breeding Deer under controlled conditions, with good supplemental food, and good habitat and water. the last thing they want is tame Deer.

I'm not saying ya or nay, just explaining what's happening in our area and other places from coast to coast. Rio7

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ctsmith
And another one, he's good.

He had matching drops but has already broken one off. It was much more impressive when symmetrical. That said, we're going for a clean look and I wish he didn't have them at all. But whos complaining?

Yes, he's taking a leak in the first pic. Lighting caught it just right.

This deer needs to be shot! Pissing on your private property is simply unacceptable lol

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/21/22.

KB

IC B2

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RIO7
There are many places that have large high fence deer pens, they put 15-20 Does in the pen and then put a big high scoring Buck in the pen, usually in the late fall before the rut, Buck will breed all the Does, then they will open the gates in April or early May, and let everything leave at will, before they drop their Fawns.

In the wild a White Tail Buck will average breeding 1.4 Does per year, the pen will greatly increase the production of big Bucks, hopefully increasing the size of the bucks on the place, and producing better over all quality Does. Some places bring in Bucks and Does, some capture nice Bucks and Does on their places.

They are not pen raising Deer, but are pen Breeding Deer under controlled conditions, with good supplemental food, and good habitat and water. the last thing they want is tame Deer.

I'm not saying ya or nay, just explaining what's happening in our area and other places from coast to coast. Rio7

The caveat to this is that one must have a breeder's license to do as described. A breeder's license is extremely cumbersome and we have no interest in it. Totally would take the fun out of it and make it too much like work. We handle the deer in no manner. We simply constructed a fence, bought a few deer (legally, properly), and turned them loose in the fence.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
ctsmith, I understand, their are many people doing pen breeding for profit,AKA selling hunts on their property, their are many people doing pen breeding for the pleasure and fun of it. licensing is a State to State thing not all are the same. Rio7

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Rio, true, and I bet texas is much more liberal with it than other states. In Bama, its a real PITA. Thats how we got into this. A local breeder said to heck with it. Too much harassment from Game and Fish. They don't bother high fences in general, but strongly discourage breeders.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Awesome specimens. But no one can deny it's a different way to hunt than true free range hunting..
And there is different classifications for such now in Pope and young and Boone and Crockett correct?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm happy for you, not my cup of tea.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not knocking what you're doing but I guess my hesitation would be with controlling diseases over time.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bbassi
Great bucks, but you lost me at fenced it off.

That's the only way to produce a 3 year old Buck that looks like that. Under those conditions they will blow after 4 1/2 years old and really be impressive.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
No interest Sorry

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ldholton
Awesome specimens. But no one can deny it's a different way to hunt than true free range hunting..

ldholton, concur, 100%. I thought I made it clear that this is NOT a hunting preserve, and we don't "hunt" it.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Not knocking what you're doing but I guess my hesitation would be with controlling diseases over time.

EHD is the killer down here. Our strategy was a hardy herd over freaky, non native 300" bucks. The more native, the more hardy. So far the herd has been extremely hardy. Knock on wood, because your concern is real.

Case in point will be the fifth and final buck. When you see him its obvious he is the farthest from native. He almost died this year, EHD most likely. Nothing but bones. Every rib, hip bone, and spine shown. It was a sad sight. I said he had no chance of living. To our surprise, he appears to be making a recovery, acting normal again and putting weight back on. He's still puny, but 30 lbs minimum heavier than he was 45 days ago. Our objective is clean, typical bucks, but dang it, this fellow now has me pulling for him.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
A point of note.

The fence is to keep other deer and critters out, not the fenced deer in. If you were to force these deer out they would walk the fence until you let them back in. Guarantee it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Some of those bucks are stunningly beautiful....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by GregW
Some of those bucks are stunningly beautiful....

Greg, come on, these deer are like my kids, they are ALL stunningly beautiful. FWIW, my daughters said I never took such nice pictures of them. LOL

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very nice Clint. Just amazing the bone growth your bucks you have. Miss the cigar smokin pics.👊🏻

Your photography skeelz have escalated too. Fishin invite is still open.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

That’s fine, he’s not promoting killin/huntin them, but rather sharing a beautiful amazing animal most of us love. I appreciate em👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1234, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 2500HD, 66 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,124
Posts18,502,421
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.