Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hoping you find your dog.

My lab when he got old would just randomly head back to the truck. I’d lose him in a field and I’d find him sleeping in his kennel back at the truck.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Lay some clothing down hopefully she'll be sleeping on it soon.
My grandpa did that with hunting dogs and they'd often be right where there laying on his hunting coat next morning.

Best of luck...

Indeed. Mojo sent.

My first Lab took off after a cow/calf moose, despite my commands. I laid my coat down there, and we went about our business- moose hunting the bends and side sloughs along a very windy stream. Figured on returning to the coat site later in the day.

An hour later we were maybe a dozen bends and a half a mile upstream when I could hear him howling (sitting on my coat).

He was a smart dog, and never went chasing after moose again against my command.

In late September we thought we had lost Chako the Wunder Wiener,. As we were setting up the tent (outboard trouble - camp here!), he disappeared. We called and yelled for a half hour and he didn't come, with fresh wolf and bear tracks on the river bank.

We went looking for him and found him over a quarter mile away. He had a grouse trapped in a tree, but boy did he know he was in trouble - when he saw us coming, he came slinking toward us with his ears down and tail between his legs.

Damned Dachshunds!

Last edited by las; 10/23/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always springers at the farm. Can’t imagine not being around them.
Good luck

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Do you know anyone who has a drone?

Maybe animal control/Sheriffs office, a guy from the local search and rescue? It could be a kid. The point is that you could possibly spot him from above flying a drone.

Your little buddy may have gotten his collar snagged on something and is stuck.

Get a drone up and fly a circle search pattern from the last known location.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Was hoping for good news this morning RIck.

Like a couple of other folks have suggested, my wife said to ask Jet to try to find her.

Ingwe mentioned training his dogs to find the others. We do it with ours as we've had the old deaf ones not come to commands and have to send the other to get them.

More Mojo coming from the Modoc this morning.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Damn… this suks. Good luck for the safe return.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So sorry to hear that Rick ! Prayers sent !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to hear this; hope it works out well.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Rick, do you know anyone with a small 2 seat helicopter?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Drone and someone who knows how to do a grid search. The thought of this this is killing me. Damn

Coyotes shot no waiting.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Maybe I should not suggest this, but maybe several factors need to be considered. The dog is 15 years old, partially blind, and I think was reported to have another issue. The dog was doing what she was trained to do and apparently loved it, hunting. Dogs have a tendency, in my experience, to find a quiet and somewhat secure place when their end time comes. I have no idea what I will be doing when my end comes, but I'm thinking being out in a good hunting area enjoying something I really like, such as a hunting trip, may not be such a bad way to go. My father's favorite uncle died that way while turkey hunting. I don't know much about the life expectancy of that particular breed of dog, but for dogs in general, 15 years is a quite full lifespan. Of course you don't want the dog to suffer if she is disabled somehow and if she did expire, you want to know for sure to give you closure. However, if this is the case, you may never know for sure. That uncertainty is what is painful. After you have done all that you can to find her and not successful, try to accept that she is gone and went doing what she enjoyed most. Few of us could be so lucky to meet our end that way. It sounds like to me that she had a good life to the end and was blessed to have you. I do hope things work out for the both of you.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The best thing to do with a lost hunting dog is go back to your vehicle and wait ...... most will find their way back ..... you start chasing them down and if they come back to your last known position and you are not there they will bolt. I have sat in my vehicle up to 8 hours before my dog came back.

The age and health of your dog makes it a special case though.

Prayers sent.

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No luck.

“Slept” next to the kennel for a couple hours before daybreak. She never came.

Left the kennel, sweaty t-shirt, and water and went to look for her. Glassed, honked the horn, shot the shotgun, did it all again and again.

No dice.

Left the kennel there and brought Jet home. She’s been locked up for going on 20 hours, except for pee and water breaks.

Way too windy for drones today, even though there apparently was a never-flown one available. That wasn’t going to end well.

So I’m hoping for a miracle now. A couple years back my uncle lost a puppy on the same ranch. It survived the night and turned up at a local ranch house. Named it Miracle.

That kennel and the water hole nearby will be checked regularly the next couple days, so there still is an outside chance.

Still … she was basically underfoot, and then she was gone. She may have wandered and gotten into a spot she couldn’t get out of … but I suspect a predator.

Still hopeful, but …

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bummer.....I was hoping for a better update. Hoping for the best.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Damn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
thanks for the update Rick, but I was really hoping for better news. Fingers crossed...........

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep checking this thread wanting good news. Good news is coming! Jet can probably find her.
How long was it from when you last seen her til' you noticed she was gone. I'm talking distance.
I'd try Jet on a leash at that spot and give her head.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m discounting a predator. If she was close to you, you would have heard something.

Keep the faith 🙏

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hate to suggest a dire possibility, but is there trapping going on in the area?

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Directing positive waves your way. I hope there is a happy ending.

Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (Akhutr, 358wsm, 2500HD, akpls, 12 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.