Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Make an Orthopedic appointment, let the pros investigate, if your insurance needs a referral, see your primary.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Well if they end up saying you need a new one see if you can get a group buy as I need two. Hopefully it’s a repairable injury unlike mine.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Lots of times there are pieces parts floating around or something popped(the first crunch) out of place. The second pop might indicate this. But what ever, find a Dr. that specializes, takes good pics & knows what should be done. The sooner, the better. I wore out my left knee by favoring my right for far too many years. When I finally got the right one fixed & healed, I wanted to slap the Fuqk out of me, multiple times for not getting it done sooner.

Just an old fart with some regrets on how I could have taken better care of myself, or done a few things differently.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Channeling Dean Wormer from Animal House- - - - -"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life!"

Stubborn and stupid is no way to deal with medical issues. Famous last words- - - - -"I'm OK, I don't need to see a doctor!"

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Started this thread, you all came on and gave advice, I just realized I need to
follow up.

Finally got through the BS. Since I waited and didn't run(hobble) to the ER it was treated as a illness and icouldnt just get an MRI.

Saw an orthopedic doc 3 weeks ago.

MRI shows a menscule root tear. It's tore right where it attaches to the bone
on the inside of the knee. And that's causing it to be squished out.

Way more intensive than most meniscus surgeries, lower percentage of
good outcomes.

Therapy
Home therapy
Injections
Big assed brace that attaches to the thigh and calf, with a spring pushing in on the knee to prevent squishing the meniscus.

"Wadda ya wanna try?"

I'm in on home therapy now.
Was considering the brace, which has to be a PITA, but understanding the mechanics of what's happening has allowed me to adjust how I do things and hurt it much less often. It seems much better now. I'm often walking normal, without thinking about it.

Last night I was changing the bathroom ceiling light bulb when my wife walked in.
Right foot on the tub rim, left bridged over to the vanity counter, left hand on the
ceiling for support. Knee was fine, didn't hurt after.
Ass is recovering from a chewing!🫡🫡 She wasn't impressed with my
abilities!

Wouldn't have considered that awhile ago.
Couldn't have gotten on a ladder in November.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ask around and get to the best sports medicine program in the region. They typically know what's up and how to rectify things.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/17/23.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Ask around and get to the best sports medicine program in the region.

That's who I saw.
4 of us at work have knee issues.
Same time.

1 got an immediate MRI. Meniscus surgery soon.

Another had shots, x-ray, them MRI. Meniscus Surgery 2 or 3 weeks ago.
(He has a surgeon friend who recommended the Ortho, the one I then chose)

Another got the shot, immediate relief that went away in 10 days, still trying to
get an MRI.

I had to do home therapy, then x-ray, to get the MRI.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Good luck with it.

Meniscus surgery helped me for a few years, until I was bone on bone and arthritic. Then came the replacement.

At least I no longer worry about the meniscus.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I had an accident on a quad when I was 28.... had a "tibial plateau fracture".... basically split my tibia like piece of firewood. That injury required zero weight bearing for almost 6 months and some physical therapy after that. It felt so-so after that but about 6 weeks later I went deer hunting in the mountains and quickly figured out that something else was seriously wrong.... I could not walk downhill without excruciating pain, but I could turn around and walk uphill with almost none.
Went to see the orthopedic doc.... ordered mri...couldn't see anything... more therapy. Still causing pain so then they prescribed cortisone injections.... those didn't work. I had to fight for almost 2 years.... finally told the doc "if I'm being a puzzy just say so" and he finally agreed to scope it.

They told my wife I would be in and out in 20-30 minutes.... the surgery lasted about 3 hours lol. They had found that I had torn a huge chunk out of my meniscus and when I would relax and lay down it would fall back into place and make it hard to be seen on an mri.... they also did some re-contouring of the bones and some other minor stuff. After a little PT if felt a 100 times better but still not the same .

Doc explained to me that our joints are damn near perfect when we are born and start degrading after that.... the more damage we do the worse they get and they just cannot repair them to new condition.... even a knee replacement isn't 100% as far as getting it back to new..... they can make them "better" but that's about it.
Sorry for the long winded story but the point is.... the longer you ignore it, the worse it's gonna get and also like my doctor told me.... he was glad I gave him the ultimatum.... we need to be our own advocates, if it doesn't seem right it probably isn't . Call me a puzzy but being hurt and sore just ain't no fun....to hell with the tuff guy crap. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

173 members (1_deuce, 673, 3333vl, 450yukon, 264mag, 805, 23 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,889
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.