Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got it, thanks.

Browning and Remington don't load it into a 2 3/4" shell either.

BTW, if you need TSS for next spring, I am seeing a metric shytload of TSS loads on the shelves right now. Particularly Browning brand. It's everywhere around here.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/26/22.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never shoot anything longer than 2 3/4" shotgun ammo.
I'm a recoil weenie.
Also, whether 12 gauge or 16 gauge, I shoot #8's. Number 9's if i can find them in "Hi Velocity".
It only takes one pellet to the brain or CNS to anchor a bird.
I want to put as much lead as possible down range!

YMMV!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Nitro Company offers 2 3/4" 12 gauge shells in both TSS and Hevi Shot. Just be prepared for the Nitro sticker shock..........

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you can find what works in your gun, now is the time to buy. I see it every years, guys wait too late to buy their ammo and can't find it.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
If you can find what works in your gun, now is the time to buy. I see it every years, guys wait too late to buy their ammo and can't find it.

Yep.

Beyond the day-to-day ammo shortage.........the specialized loads (like turkey loads) are "seasonal runs". Generally one batch manufactured per year and that's that.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Filled my fall tag this afternoon with one of those Federal heavy field loads. One shot and all done but for the floppin. 35 yards give or take.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Filled my fall tag this afternoon with one of those Federal heavy field loads. One shot and all done but for the floppin. 35 yards give or take.

Atta boy !!!!!!!!!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks Yoder. That's about my 15th fall bird off that same oak ridge. Now I've got 7 deer tags to fill over the next few weeks and with the price of meat I intend to fill them all. Killed six last season and we're down to just a few packages left so just in time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Yoder. That's about my 15th fall bird off that same oak ridge. Now I've got 7 deer tags to fill over the next few weeks and with the price of meat I intend to fill them all. Killed six last season and we're down to just a few packages left so just in time.

I listened to a flock of 10-12 from the roost through flydown and work 3 hours up the ridge this morning. Our season comes in Saturday. But I'll be hunting deer if I'm out. I absolutely LOVE to listen to 3 hours of turkeys just going about turkey life. Don't matter HOW LONG you've been hunting these things...........there's ALWAYS a learning opportunity.

You ever can any of your venison ??? It's my favorite way to eat it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nope, never tried canning it but my wife says she wants to try and asked me to get her a pressure cooker for Christmas.

IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Canned deer meat is some nasty tasting chit...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
So you are threatening me. Nice, indeed. For some reason, you still don't frighten me. Post what you look like now, tubby.
There is a difference between a threat and a promise....
Posterity again.

Bag on some for not posting pics.
Bag on others for the pics they post.

The hall monitor gig really has you chubbed up. Seems like you got something eating on you,though.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope, never tried canning it but my wife says she wants to try and asked me to get her a pressure cooker for Christmas.

I've got a Presto 23 quart.............which, ironically, only does 7 quart jars at a time. But that's pretty standard.

The entire process is about as easy as it gets. Takes about 20 minutes to get 7 jars of meat ready to go in and 90 minutes at heat & pressure. If you want my method, hit me up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yoder409
You ever can any of your venison ??? It's my favorite way to eat it.

Never ate canned venison but my sister in law jars wild turkey meat. I guess its the same principal. If you don't break the seal after jarring, it will last fpr a couple of year unrefrigerated. There's not a big taste difference between jarred and fresh. She'll occassionally make a pot pie and it's always pretty good.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It's a known fact that Yankees have screwed up taste buds....never heard of anyone from the South canning
deer meat or any other kind of meat and we canned most everything.

I've tasted canned venison this Yankee brought a jar hunting with him it was some nasty tasting chit.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Blackheart, congrats on your fall bird

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LFC

I'm not going to intentionally get into this argument, but I went to see some Mennonite neighbors years ago, and they happened to be eating supper. They were all sitting around the table, and there was a pail of fresh cows milk, a plate of bread, a huge bowl of mac and cheese, and the worst smelling meat I've ever smelled. They offered to set a place at the table for me, but the smell was so bad that I had to go outside and wait for them to finish eating

The meat was canned deer meat. I do not know if it all smells that way, and it could have been just that particular jar, but the smell has awful. I've eaten a lot of canned pork, and love it, so I'm certainly don't find canned meat objectionable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by LFC

I'm not going to intentionally get into this argument, but I went to see some Mennonite neighbors years ago, and they happened to be eating supper. They were all sitting around the table, and there was a pail of fresh cows milk, a plate of bread, a huge bowl of mac and cheese, and the worst smelling meat I've ever smelled. They offered to set a place at the table for me, but the smell was so bad that I had to go outside and wait for them to finish eating

The meat was canned deer meat. I do not know if it all smells that way, and it could have been just that particular jar, but the smell has awful. I've eaten a lot of canned pork, and love it, so I'm certainly don't find canned meat objectionable.

Not sure how they canned it. But I've never had anyone not ask for seconds......

Mrs takes the canned venison and makes a gravy with it. Put it over rice or noodles. FANTASTIC !!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Yoder409

I've got a Presto 23 quart.............which, ironically, only does 7 quart jars at a time. But that's pretty standard.

The entire process is about as easy as it gets. Takes about 20 minutes to get 7 jars of meat ready to go in and 90 minutes at heat & pressure. If you want my method, hit me up.
Thanks for the offer. I may need some advice on this after Christmas. For now I have a couple questions. First, can we can meat that's already been frozen ? And second, can you add flavoring/seasoning of any kind when you can it ?

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yankees like the smell of chit....

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,382
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.