Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pullit
Blackheart, congrats on your fall bird
Thank you pullit. This bird had a 7 1/4" beard, 7/8" spurs and weighed 19 lbs. 4 oz.. There were five of them together and they all looked about the same to me. I killed one on that same ridge last fall no more than 75 yards from where I killed this one.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Nope, never tried canning it but my wife says she wants to try and asked me to get her a pressure cooker for Christmas.

I've got a Presto 23 quart.............which, ironically, only does 7 quart jars at a time. But that's pretty standard.

The entire process is about as easy as it gets. Takes about 20 minutes to get 7 jars of meat ready to go in and 90 minutes at heat & pressure. If you want my method, hit me up.
Thanks for the offer. I may need some advice on this after Christmas. For now I have a couple questions. First, can we can meat that's already been frozen ? And second, can you add flavoring/seasoning of any kind when you can it ?

I'll shoot you a PM.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blairvt
ya'll meet for a beer. Be interesting to see if any one of you would talk to each other this way when you have the chance to get your teeth knocked out. I'm guessing not.

You, apparently, don't know me very well.

It's OK. You're forgiven.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Over the years I've canned lots of meat.....deer, wild turkey, chicken, beef. It's all tasty if prepared properly. That Amish story is funny. I've got some Amish friends that are into bear hunting. They gave me some bear bologna one time. It tasted horrible. They may have "aged" their meat a bit too long. At least that was what my Yankee taste buds said.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by blairvt
ya'll meet for a beer. Be interesting to see if any one of you would talk to each other this way when you have the chance to get your teeth knocked out. I'm guessing not.

You, apparently, don't know me very well.

It's OK. You're forgiven.

I think a lot of people vastly underestimate others and there are more than a few that would say it in person, and many who claim would "knock a guy out if they said it to me" would be surprised to find their own asses handed to them. Not all that talk do so because they can't throw hands. Often, IME it's because they CAN throw hands.

Me

IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Donny Stark was a bad son of a gun growing up in his gilded world.....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
Over the years I've canned lots of meat.....deer, wild turkey, chicken, beef. It's all tasty if prepared properly. That Amish story is funny. I've got some Amish friends that are into bear hunting. They gave me some bear bologna one time. It tasted horrible. They may have "aged" their meat a bit too long. At least that was what my Yankee taste buds said.

Here's another Amish "deer story". I was a rural mail carrier, and an Amish farmer on my mail route begin processing deer at his farm. I had stopped at his house delivering a package when a truck pulling a trailer with at least a dozen dead deer pulled in to his place. This was probably 4-5 days after the opening of the deer season, and from the looks of some of those deer, I'd say most had been killed on opening day. The temps were warm, and had been for some time.

Being a deer hunter myself, I was curious if there were any good bucks in the bunch, so I hung around a bit so I could see. I didn't get out of my vehicle, but could smell the deer and could tell that some were in the "ripe" category. I'd say they were overly aged, and knowing the Amish as I do, I'd also say that they processed every one of those deer.

Over the years, the Amish and the Mennonites on my mail route gave me a lot of food during the Christmas season. I gave every bit of it away, or tossed it. The Bible says that cleanliness is next to Godliness...............but that must not be in the Bible that those people read, as their definition of clean and mine are entirely different.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Being half yankee and half rebel, I tend to like it all. Gimme some scrappel for breakfast and some chicken and dumplings for dinner and I'm a happy man.

Being from Pa, I damned well Yoder is a scrappel eater.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/29/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

Wrong !!!! 🤣🤣🤣

I can't even LOOK at that stuff. 🤮

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You ain't no Yankee! My dad and his family are from Pennsylvania. He introduced my mom's side to scrappel. My mom and her family are from South Carolina and Arkansas. They introdcuied my dad's side to collard greens and putting hog jowl in everything.

Best of both worlds!

My suggestion - get some scrappel, the white stuff, and fry it up with some eggs, then eat it with pancakes and real maple syrup. Holy friggin moly, you will become a convert.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Wrong !!!! 🤣🤣🤣

LOL, me neither ! I also don't eat possum, pigs feet, hog jowls, ocra, brains, grits, tripe and a whole list of other shyt Southerners think is food.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Wrong !!!! 🤣🤣🤣

LOL, me neither ! I also don't eat possum, pigs feet, hog jowls, ocra, brains, grits, tripe and a whole list of other shyt Southerners think is food.

Some of that is black folks food. We don't eat possum, pigs feet, brains, tripe or chitlins. (Though I've had chitlins (aka [bleep] lins) with hot sauce and it's actually not bad.)

We do eat hog jowl, grits, fried chicken livers and gizzards, and a whole list of other wholesome foods.

By the way, brains has the distinction of being like one the highest cholesterol containing foods there is (though it doesn't appear to mattert that much, and is appartently good for your own brain). Pork brains has something like over 1,000% the daily recommended allowance of cholesterol. I have a black friend at work whose dad eats it multiple times a week for breakfast, fried with eggs. That old man is in his 90s and is fit, drives, and has all his faculties.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/29/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I always heard possum and sweet taters was a southern po folks dish. I shot one once many years ago with the idea of giving it a try but just couldn't go through with eating the ugly rat tailed bastard. Likewise the only people I ever heard of eating brains were from the South. I don't have much experience with black folks or what they eat as the County I live in is 98.6% white. They seem to mainly be creatures of the bigger cities up here and I avoid going to those whenever possible, which is almost always.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
guy that worked for me years ago told me "souce is the best part of the pig". I told him. he could have all my souce and I would take his ribs, bacon, pork chops as an even swap

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Eat everything but the squeal…. I believe is how the saying goes.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
There used to be a country store in Charles City County, Virginia called Adkins Store. It may still exist. Back in the 70s and 80s, it was a game check station in additon to a country grocery store. It was owned and run by a black dude and he stocked the weirdest stuff. You could buy pig snouts in there. Country black folk made soup out of them. I remember walking through that store as a kid and it was like an anatomy lesson on swine. They ate every part of it.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Rick Shaw has it right. Our ancestors always said the only thing that wasn’t edible on a hog was it’s squeal!!

Last edited by MadDog4298; 10/29/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Silly me always throwing away perfectly good guts, nuts, peckers, heads, and ass holes of a critter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
Eat everything but the squeal…. I believe is how the saying goes.

My black friend used to say about hogs "we eat them from the rooty to the tooty"

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 45 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,238
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.