-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bicyclists tend to believe they have and deserve more rights on the roadways than others

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I'm all about being athletic and good health, doing it on a roadway, designed for automobiles is not the place. The road our house is on is a major bike challenge. It starts at 5500' and goes to 8500' in a matter of 15 miles or so. It's curvy, no shoulders, and full of blind curves. In the summer, it's a stream of bikers wanting a challenge. So many bikers that we have to wait to exit our driveway. Every year 1-4 of them die or get seriously hurt by cars. (Same with motorcycles hitting 100mph on the same road). It's never the bikers fault though, that's the sucky part. Always the driver. Right... Who has the insurance? The driver. I've done enough expert witness (on other types of cases) to know deep pockets get blamed for a lot of things that wasn't their fault.

When roads are designed for bikers, and bikers pay license plate fees, and are required to have insurance, have headlights/taillights like motorcycles, I'll be open to it. I have no issues with mountain bikers on designated trails, none.

The law provides the framework for determining who is at fault. If a motorist is required to yield right of way, and doesn't, why would it not be their fault?

IF ANYBODY was operating a car or a lawn tractor on the same road, at 7mph, it’d be an automatic ticket for “impeding the flow of traffic”.

Would it be a ticket for a hunter pulling a horse trailer at 5 MPH below the speed limit?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BLG
“They [cyclists] look and act differently to typical ‘humans’, they move in a mechanical way, and their faces are not often seen by motorists, blocking empathic responses that might humanize them,” the authors write. “If dehumanization of cyclists is occurring, this could be contributing to the hostility and aggression experienced by cyclists on the road.”

That is about the stupidest thing I have ever read. This is what their study indicated? What a farce. Someone needs a new job.

The issue is always about sharing the road, and the complete opposite opinions of both the rider and the driver.

Clyde

For the most part, there is no real issue. The mental issue is that motorist's indignation is inconsistent with the inconvenience that bicyclists really pose.

I see things a little differently Paul.

One of the main problems is the "the law says I have the right away and by God I'm gonna take it no matter what" types create a dim view of bicyclists. While these are few they tend to set the tone for the majority.

The other main problem is the dim view that motorists allow themselves to get.

The bikers that ride two abreast, middle of the lane, run stop signs and a multitude of other rudeness make all of the bikers look bad.

A few days ago a biker ran a stop sign and I had to hammer the brakes very hard to keep him from being a spot on the pavement, lol, I had a good mind to run the retard off the road and cave his face in, it really pissed me off because I'm the one who would have had to go through the investigation and live with the fact that I killed the guy.

On thing the dumbasses need to learn is that the right away doesn't do you any good if your dead.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I used to ride the roads in rural coastal MS very regularly. The roads are low traffic density 35-40MPH roads. I generally got treated pretty well with few exceptions. I bought this American flag T-shirt and wore it on a 50 mile ride. I had never been treated better in my life. Cars slowing way down. Cars passing slowly. Cars giving widest possible berth. No engines moaning under the strain of acceleration. People waving as they passed. At the time, I opined that the American flag T-shirt resonated with the good ole boys and girls in the rural south in a way that "humanized" the encounter. No longer was I an annoyance in spandex, but a patriotic human and someone they could relate with. I continued wearing that shirt and continued getting treated remarkably well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I’ve got a tie dyed version of that jersey. When I wear it riding on the road, I sometimes have Ahole drivers forcing me off the road. I still wear the jersey frequently. Lots of Woke subjects in S CA!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wonder if these bicyclists would let their 16 year old kids ride their bikes on roadways without bike lanes?

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Tesoro
I wonder if these bicyclists would let their 16 year old kids ride their bikes on roadways without bike lanes?

That’s how I grew up in MI. I used to ride my clunker all over the place, no bike lanes, at times it got interesting.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by badger
The only cyclists that I have an issue with are those who ride like azzholes, blowing through stop signs and traffic lights,

If I was on my bicycle in front of you on a narrow busy 30 MPH road and we came up to a red light and ran it, how would that negatively affect you?

It is entirely possible that by running the red light I not only enhance my safety by not having potentially impatient and aggravated motorists trying to pass me after the light turns green, but it would also make it better for you in that you wouldn't be stuck behind me.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The only cyclists that I have an issue with are those who ride like azzholes, blowing through stop signs and traffic lights,

If I was on my bicycle in my car in front of you on a narrow busy 30 MPH road and we came up to a red light and ran it, how would that negatively affect you?

It is entirely possible that by running the red light I not only enhance my safety by not having potentially impatient and aggravated motorists trying to pass me after the light turns green, but it would also make it better for you in that you wouldn't be stuck behind me.
Would that make any difference?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by rainshot
I don't actually have an opinion about individuals as long as they respect other people using the roads. It's the organized bike rides that I hated when I lived in a small town out in the country. They would take over the county roads and ride four abreast by the hundreds. Watering stations were set up at intervals and the DPS would protect them. They actually owned the road for that weekend. It was impossible for anyone to get to town because you had to get in line and drive at 10mph all the way with them laughing, joking and generally making asses out of themselves. Doctors, Lawyers and jackasses from all walks of life gathered together to overtake the countryside for a weekend with state law enforcement protection. Why would anyone be surprised that they can be hated by many people that are made to put up with their shenanigans. I'm sure they covet their spandex, goggles and styrofoam acorn shaped helmets but I found that at least a little comic relief.
same here ..spot on post

Bullschidt. You whine about cyclists every opportunity you get.
Since you like to make everything personal the most people I'll tell you straight up front you f****** pussy TheMS 150 ride used to cut this area off for the entire weekend. You cannot hardly drive down the road to move equipment or anything. You think you're such a tough guy I'll meet you in the middle of the road , I'll promise you there won't be but one walking away

You better be a hell of a lot physically stronger than you are emotionally strong. You are an emotional cundt of the highest order. Finding an alternate route for one weekend a year must have been a horrible experience.
listen you mental midget, it's called a farm that scattered out over several miles and these people row rakes basically right through the center of it on the county roads and highways. There was an altercation and they no longer ride through here you get the picture. There's some people I just grow to really hate and you are on the top of the list you stupid m*********** you better pray to God you never meet me in person..

Looks like I struck a nerd. LOLOLOL
nope , you just keep proving what a ignorant example of a person you really are. You've proven yourself a total hypocrite on traffic laws several times in these threads. Make people mad and keep poking at them and think it's funny but yet you get mad about bullying kind of the same deal then when you get confronted you act like a complete dork and think you're a tough guy. I can guarantee you you do not act like this standing toe to toe to a person...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
These bicycle threads are never not funny.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Just my 2 cents.

I understand what Paul is saying that they think that it's safer for them to be in the middle of the lane so that they're more visible and it helps prevent the squeeze play.

In a lot of cases, but not the majority of cases, people will move over to let the traffic pass. However, in most cases that I've seen around here, is that they don't move over and continue to hog the road. The other issue with this behavior is that on a road that has a 40 or 50 mph speed limit, they're riding in the middle of the road around a blind curve. Then you have a vehicle that could weigh up to 80K lbs. going 45 mph and can't simply stop to avoid hitting them. But the part that pisses people off is that when a vehicle does get behind them and it's clear to pass, the bicyclists continue to ride in the middle of the road.

The thing that I don't understand is that they ride in the middle of the road with no fear of getting killed or causing a wreck between two on coming vehicles with them in the mix. 99% of them also drive cars and they know full well that they're risking their lives every time they ride.

Ya BUT, it’s incumbent on any commercial driver to be driving his rig at the speed it can be stopped, no different than if your daughter’s car stalls out on a blind curve, rigs need to be going a speed that anticipates those types of scenarios.

I'm not sure if you've ever driven a truck or not. But if you have, you should understand that physics and the laws of motion will prevent you from stopping on a dime. If the speed limit is 40 mph, I want my drivers to follow the speed limit and get to their destination and return safely. The posted speed limit is the safe speed that is dictated by .gov. At the same time, I don't want my drivers to drive 20 mph just in case there might be a bicyclists around the next turn. Accidents happen all of the time and it can be an unfortunate situation if my daughter is broken down on the shoulder around a blind curve. However, in the case of a lot of bicyclists, they are willingly riding in the middle of the lane around the blind curve which is putting their own lives, as well as the lives of innocent travelers in peril.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 10/25/22.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I see things a little differently Paul.

One of the main problems is the "the law says I have the right away and by God I'm gonna take it no matter what" types create a dim view of bicyclists. While these are few they tend to set the tone for the majority.

The other main problem is the dim view that motorists allow themselves to get.

The bikers that ride two abreast, middle of the lane, run stop signs and a multitude of other rudeness make all of the bikers look bad.

A few days ago a biker ran a stop sign and I had to hammer the brakes very hard to keep him from being a spot on the pavement, lol, I had a good mind to run the retard off the road and cave his face in, it really pissed me off because I'm the one who would have had to go through the investigation and live with the fact that I killed the guy.

On thing the dumbasses need to learn is that the right away doesn't do you any good if your dead.

I have no use for a dangerous or discourteous bicyclist. My disdain for them pales in comparison to my disdain for discourteous and dangerous motorists though.

Studies have shown that bicyclists and motorists violate the law at about the same rate. The reason motorists most often give is based on convenience. The reason cyclists give is most often based on safety.

That sucks about the cyclist that ran the red light. It may have been a purposeful move by an entitled douchebag or it may have been a mistake. What I find interesting is your thought that you should run him down and sort stuff out. Do you have the same thoughts when you see motorists break the law?

A few weeks ago I took time out to go kayak fishing a few mornings in a row. Right outside of my subdivision is a fairly major intersection. The intersection is a damn zoo. There are crashes there frequently. It was early in the morning, so not much traffic. My light turned green. I did NOT go. The norm is for motorists to run the red light. Sure enough, 2 different vehicles ran it. Had I gone, I would have been INJURED. Should I have had a good mind to go sort stuff out? You are a good and reasonable man. Think about how people's reactions differ when cyclists and motorists behave the same way. Why do you think that is, when law breaking motorists are a much greater threat.

The very next morning, at about the same time I was caught by the same light. I saw the light turn yellow and watched in amazement as two vehicles that had time to stop. continued on. One of them, for whatever reason, moved into the oncoming lane. Both of them got hauled off in an ambulance.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tesoro

It would depend.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

If I was on my bicycle in my car in front of you on a narrow busy 30 MPH road and we came up to a red light and ran it, how would that negatively affect you?

Am I the car at the front or the one coming up behind?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I ride a bike nearly daily but I ride around a ''track'' and do laps. I rode around and found where very little traffic is which is through a neighborhood then the outer perimeter of a shopping center. Never a single problem, many people wave and go out of their way to let me turn in and such.
I've mentioned before, driving up Hwy. 79, Panama City Beach and cyclists riding on the road when there's a bike-road that goes for miles 30' off of the shoulder of the Hwy. The taxpayers paid for it, paved concrete, rest area pavillions, seating, bridges = tens of thousands of $ spent and here they go riding on Hwy. 79. So I can see why drivers get pist at those types.

There was a local guy back in Florida who built a PVC contraption 6' wide and mounted it on his bike letting everyone know he had the right to his 6' of roadway. A young guy Brandon told me someone hit his 6' contraption and wrecked him out. It's people like him who flaunt their 'rights' that piss people off. car/truck drivers view them as arrogant and cyclist have the same view about car/truck drivers.

I've read that people who ride small motorcycles/mopeds get bullied >riders call them battle scooters. To a lesser degree car/truck drivers will bully a full size motorcycle, < I've had a run-in or two myself.
Can't we all just get along ,,,, hale NO

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

Am I the car at the front or the one coming up behind?
You stipulated that you were in front… come on, get with it.
Why even have traffic laws?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the point is that you SHOULD be required, same as others using the road. Cyclist demand road improvements, DMV fees pay for those improvements, why should motorcyclists have to pay DMV fees and bicyclists don’t? There is much more money spent on accommodating bicyclists than motorcyclists, no?
But could be this is just a west coast thing.

Pedestrians don't pay any special road use tax and don't have to put license plates on their back. I get held up more by pedestrians than I do bicyclists.

Road and bike lane building and maintenance funding comes from a variety of sources. DMV fees and gas tax comes nowhere close to covering the cost of roads and bicycle infrastructure. Much of the money comes from the general fund (property taxes, sales taxes etc.)

Why should MOTORcyclists have to pay DMV fees, but not bicyclists? What does the M in DMV stand for?

Pedestrians use the sidewalks, not roadways, just like bicyclists used to.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Oh for Christ sakes, what a bunch of BS. Who cares about them. Do not care one way or another. Don’t have time to give a little crap. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I'm not sure if you've ever driven a truck or not. But if you have, you should understand that physics and the laws of motion will prevent you from stopping on a dime. If the speed limit is 40 mph, I want my drivers to follow the speed limit and get to their destination and return safely. The posted speed limit is the safe speed that is dictated by .gov. At the same time, I don't want my drivers to drive 20 mph just in case there might be a bicyclists around the next turn. Accidents happen all of the time and it can be an unfortunate situation if my daughter is broken down on the shoulder around a blind curve. However, in the case of a lot of bicyclists, they are willingly riding in the middle of the lane around the blind curve which is putting their own lives, as well as the lives of innocent travelers in peril.

I have towed boats and RVs in areas with limited sight lines. As a responsible driver, I adjusted my speed accordingly. If your drivers choose to put convenience ahead of safety, you get to live with the consequences.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think the point is that you SHOULD be required, same as others using the road. Cyclist demand road improvements, DMV fees pay for those improvements, why should motorcyclists have to pay DMV fees and bicyclists don’t? There is much more money spent on accommodating bicyclists than motorcyclists, no?
But could be this is just a west coast thing.

Pedestrians don't pay any special road use tax and don't have to put license plates on their back. I get held up more by pedestrians than I do bicyclists.

Road and bike lane building and maintenance funding comes from a variety of sources. DMV fees and gas tax comes nowhere close to covering the cost of roads and bicycle infrastructure. Much of the money comes from the general fund (property taxes, sales taxes etc.)

Why should MOTORcyclists have to pay DMV fees, but not bicyclists? What does the M in DMV stand for?

Pedestrians use the sidewalks, not roadways.

Pedestrians don't cross or walk down roadways?

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (222Sako, 22kHornet, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,601
Posts18,492,258
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.