Hop To
Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
I had a coon dog with collar show up at my kennels about 10 years ago. It wouldn’t let me near it for several days. I would leave a bowl of food and water out. After about 5 days it was completely fine with me and I was able to read the tag on the collar. Called the number and the gentleman was very leery when I told him I had his hound. He showed up and after talking with him, he said he lost it over a month ago and close to 100 miles away.

My guess is someone picked it up (stole) and was trying to hunt it and it once again was lost.

Anyway, they left the owner’s collar on so he got his dog back.

That happens. A local went into Safeway, leaving his collared/tagged Lab in the back of his PU. Came out, the dog was gone.

All the usual followed to find, including reward posted, no luck.

The next summer he came out of the same store and found his Lab, sans collor and tag, sitting in the PU bed, ecstatic to see him. I'm guessing the "new owner"t got a little careless, and the dog took care of the rest.

This - on a lighter note:

When we moved back to Ak in 1980, after two years Outside, we were dead broke, with one vehicle, and me un-employed. A friend let us live in his wood-heat, no amenenities cabin out of town. The windows were just clear plastic, but boy did that barrel stove work!

One weekend, Bud (the owner) was down and stayed over. Saturday morning, my wife took our rig to work at the school, 25 miles away. Just after she left, I let the Lab out. It was probably -10 out, so after a couple hours i got concerned, called, shot rifle in air - no luck bring the dog back after another hour..

I figured he must have gone after my wife, so Bud and I went looking in his rig.

Sure enough, a couple miles down the highway, there he was, loping along on the snow machine trail in the ditch on the way home. We stopped, he stopped, and looked at me like, "Am I in trouble?",

I got out, held the back door open, told him to to "get in". He did, gave Bud an ear lick, then when I got in, I got one too. We turned around and started back, when I noticed some white on his chest. Brushed the frost off, only it was 3 white hairs.... My dog didn' have any, and my dog had a chipped canine (which I checked for) - this one didn't.

"Bud, we have to turn around - this isn't my dog!"

We took him the half mile back to where we picked him up, and dumped him out.

He just stood there looking at us:... "I can't believe this chit...! You were giving me a ride home!"

Had it not been for the 3 white hairs and canine tooth check, I'd have had me a free dog.... smile

Bud growled: "That's the trouble with Labs; all them black folk look alike!"

When we got back to the cabin, my dog was sitting on the porch with a "Where the heck have you guys been?" look on his face.

Must have been an in-heat bitch somewhere within a mile or so (There was about 4' of snow on the ground, too.)

Last edited by las; 10/25/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When we were kids quite a few of the guys around had running hounds for coyotes.

Several times they would get a call weeks later of a hound being 50+ miles from home.

Even with tracking collars once they get out of the area you thought they were in the collar did no good.

Also remember the hunting shirt/coat/water cracker ordeal. Pull up and there would be a hound.

Sometimes they would show up at home days later and even after being cast 20 miles from home.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Fingers crossed for your Scout showing up out there somewhere, somehow.......... Lots of stories of dogs being found or coming home days, weeks ,months and even years later. Very positive that she is microchipped; if she shows up at a vets or animal shelter, etc they will make the match happen.

We will say a prayer for Scout's safe return this evening....

Last edited by Natty_Bumpo; 10/25/22.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here’s hoping for a positive outcome. Sad not knowing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going outside and shaking my rattle for you and Scout. I hope it works.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Had a starving foxhound show up at our place some 20 years back.
When I called the owner he informed that it had been about a week since he had lost it.
Don't give up!

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prayers sent. I hope you find your dog soon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take comfort in knowing Scout was doing something he loved. My condolences Rick.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a story I know is true, as how one man found his lost dog. (In no way, shape, or form, am I suggesting Rick try this. Probably couldn't find the right person, anyway. smile )

Years ago, while I was still in college, my dad owned a lumber & building materials business in Little Rock, Ark. One of his salesmen, who when he was not working, was a Bob white quail hunting fool. He owned three highly trained English pointers. This was long before chips and tracking collars, etc.

One Monday he came to work and was extremely upset. Over the weekend, while hunting quail, one of his English pointers just "disappeared." No matter what he did, he could not find his dog no matter how he, then his son and wife helping, looked, the dog was gone.

The lumber yard manager, a middle aged black man, told the distraught salesman to call a certain telephone number and tell the old woman who answered he told the salesman to call her. The salesman asked, how an old woman could help find his lost dog? The black man said, "I ain't sayin' she can find your dog, but she might. She's been known to "find" other lost things. She's a "conjur woman."

The salesman was skeptical but had no other choice, so he called her. She gave him her address in the black community and told hm to bring something belonging to the dog with him. He took the dog's blanket and went to see her. He later said she, a black woman, lived in a small "shotgun" style house and was over 80 years old. He gave her the blanket. She went into a back room. After awhile, she came out, handed him the blanket and told him to go to a small town south of Little Rock and ask for XXXXX. He said that was nowhere close to where he was hunting. She told him, "Go there." He asked how much she wanted and she said, "Five dollars." He paid her and left.

He drove to the small town, asked for the man the "conjur woman" told him about, went to see him and sure enough, the man had his dog. Found him running in the bushes "up the road" so he brought him home. No name on the collar. The salesman tried to pay the man who'd found his dog but he refused payment. Said he was glad he could help out. He had dogs too.

I talked with the salesman later and he was astounded but was very happy he'd got his dog back. Could not explain how the old "conjur woman" determined where his dog was ... and didn't care. His dog was home.

So, if any of you boys lose something very valuable to you, just go find yourself a ...... wink

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe the story.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scared the venereal disease outta me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dang, I read the whole thread hoping for a happy ending.

Well, it may turn out. A few years ago I found an extremely old and completely blind dog in our shrubbery. He was covered in fleas and extremely dirty. His coat was filthy and he looked like he had been outside forever and he could barely move. My wife posted his picture on Facebook and within a few hours the owners came and got that dog. He had been gone for weeks and they lived way across town. He had somehow gotten out of their backyard. How that deaf and completely blind dog made it all the way across town and how he had survived for weeks in the condition he was in was a mystery, but he had and it was a happy ending for all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I truly hope this ends well.
I love dogs.
They are the very definition of unconditional love.

Proud NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I truly hope this ends well.
I love dogs.
They are the very definition of unconditional love.

This ^^^^

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
So very sorry to hear about this, Rick. I hope you find your little girl. We lost our 14-year-old beagle just a few weeks ago, and "heartbroken" is an apt description. Prayers that this turns out well for you.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Go out again ,and do some shooting with your shotgun, she may come to that and take some pals with you to do the same. Keep trying; you'll be glad you did.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Was hunting pheasants in a tall crp field with my Gordon setter we were working the brushy area by the water course when I lost sight of her. Cal led for her half the afternoon and no dog. Spent the rest of the day looking , no dog. Walked out to the truck about sundown ,no dog. I gave it one more shot walked back to where I last saw her and called. She came out from under some brush. She and I were both glad to see each other.I guess she just finally returned to where she last saw me . ..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Was hunting pheasants in a tall crp field with my Gordon setter we were working the brushy area by the water course when I lost sight of her. Cal led for her half the afternoon and no dog. Spent the rest of the day looking , no dog. Walked out to the truck about sundown ,no dog. I gave it one more shot walked back to where I last saw her and called. She came out from under some brush. She and I were both glad to see each other.I guess she just finally returned to where she last saw me . ..mb

I always thought Gordon’s to be beautiful dogs.

Hope Bin’s story has a happy ending.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hope everything works out Rick and don't give up hope. In 92 we lost a Walker hound hunting cats near Lolo Pass on the ID/MT border. This would have been early October I would guess and we found him alive and (skinny) well in April. Miracles do happen!

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm still hoping, until there's proof she's crossed the rainbow bridge.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,565
Posts18,531,767
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.