Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Windfall: Wait until the Deer turns broadside and shoot the Deer through the heart/lungs!
Patience is a virtue and has manifold rewards - especially when Hunting Big Game.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You've obviously never hunted in the big woods.
Wait here and you may SOL.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]directions to the nearest gas station to my location

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How do you not get heart/lungs with a properly placed shot on a quartering angle?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never shot at a deer other than while I was on the ground. Far shoulder works.

If the deer is semi facing you, far ribs just behind the shoulder works. If the deer is angling away, far side just in front of the shoulder. If broadside right near the heart just behind the shoulder. I eat the heart and I like to hit just above it.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always taught my boys to shoot for the center of "beach ball" between the front legs. That visualization seemed to work for them.

We have never lost a deer shot with a T/TSX, have lost them to piss poor shot placement though. crazy

Have shot many deer with a quartering to presentation. No big deal, might lose a little more meat in the neck shoulder area, but better than no deer. eek

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reading all these accounts of surgical shot placement not only to hit vitals or CNS, but to save meat and the heart has gave me the feeling of inadequacy. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
Reading all these accounts of surgical shot placement not only to hit vitals or CNS, but to save meat and the heart has gave me the feeling of inadequacy. grin

LOL.

The wait-for-a-broadside-shot crowd would be plenty disappointed in the Benoit family.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Windfall
Not ideal I know, but that is my most likely shot angle this year. I'm pretty well sky lined from that angle and the chances of being seen are too great to wait for a full broadside. Scoped 7mm-08, 140 BT's and about 75 yards.

For a frontal shot, personally, Id switch to one of the quality all copper bullets. The copper bullets tend to be more forgiving if you hit big bone. Then Heart lungs do quite well. If you are able to place a Brachial plexus shot, That will be quicker.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N

LOL.

The wait-for-a-broadside-shot would be plenty disappointed in the Benoit family.

Hey bud, how've you been?

Quartering towards, straight on facing you, quartering away, there's always a way. For me I guess it's not hard to imagine and bet all on wound channel tragectory in those heavily wooded, quick oportunities. Not everyone hunts in an open slaughter yard, am I right? I've shot downward angle, center spine between the shoulders before, That's not in the armchair QB internet forum advisor handbook, but it works.

Something clever here.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Without a doubt, not that difficult. Take the shot that presents and fill the freezer.

Dancing on pinheads, mental masturbation, and fairy dust be damned.
cool

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I personally prefer a head-on shot or quartering-to shot over one quartering away. Easier to connect the dots and the guts seem to get nuked less when they are facing you. I've seen a bunch of big pigs take the head-on shot and run off with no exit, only to start painting the woods with blood from the nostrils in short order. Sometimes they don't bleed at all, but a head-on shot is generally a hard hit to take and they don't go all that far.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
In da FACE!!

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

LOL.

The wait-for-a-broadside-shot crowd would be plenty disappointed in the Benoit family.

Yep. They're happy to put a bullet in one just to slow it down a bit. lol

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by kenster99
Shoot that one in his left eye. Instant death, and you will have a set of horns to rattle with .

laugh

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by tzone

LOL.

Yep. They're happy to put a bullet in one just to slow it down a bit. lol

How was opener for your group?

"We got some shooting in."

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This thread had more interest than I thought it would. As a woods hunter looking into something like 10gaugemag's picture, waiting for a calendar broadside pose reminds me of the line from the song Thirty Point Buck... "There he was, gone". With 600,000 of us out there on opening day, our deer get a mite nervous and shooting something vital at the first opportunity seems the prudent thing to do.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Windfall
This thread had more interest than I thought it would. As a woods hunter looking into something like 10gaugemag's picture, waiting for a calendar broadside pose reminds me of the line from the song Thirty Point Buck... "There he was, gone". With 600,000 of us out there on opening day, our deer get a mite nervous and shooting something vital at the first opportunity seems the prudent thing to do.

Well, I shot one up the ass hole once. It worked and it certainly didn't go anywhere. But it was a mess I'll not soon forget.

Last edited by tzone; 10/26/22.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Beautiful

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One windy, snowy morning I watched a buck off in the distant trot thru a saddle on a ridge and head down a large rock strewn hill. I was familiar with the area and assumed he went there to bed down out of the wind. At noon I decided to play Indian and climbed out of the tree and went looking for him. About this time the snow stopped and wind let up and visibility improved as I worked my way on the ridge careful not to skyline.

After peering down into the valley and sidehill I spotted a brown spot in the snow. The binoculars confirmed it was a nice buck laying there quartered towards me. Took off my pack and laid it in the snow for a prone rest. Settled the crosshairs on the back where neck and shoulder meet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This buck was bedded across a valley at quite a bit lower elevation then I was when I spotted him in a thicket. He was quartered towards me. I could not chance taking off my pack for a rest so put the crosshair on his back and shot him offhand.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,721
Posts18,475,781
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.