Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Firth
When I wanted to try my hand at smoking I picked up a Weber smokey mountain. I considered a kettle, it was just my understanding the WSM was a bit more foolproof for smoking. Do you still use your kettle now that you have a BGE?

The Weber Smokey is definitely more foolproof when it comes to all things smoking. That design is geared toward low and slow cooks, and it does them very well. Our local Lowes actually has one of the 18" for $188 right now and I'm tempted to grab it just because of the price. But I need another smoker like I need another handgun...

I do still use the BGE a lot and it is my go to for most anything BBQ. I'm going to cook for roughly 25 people on Halloween and I can tell you that I will not be fugking around with the Weber Kettle for that cook. Also, a BGE does things that the Weber Kettle simply cannot do in regards to maintaining high temps or setting and forgetting. If I do a 250-275 cook for 12 hours on my Egg I am literally setting temp, and walking away. I can get drunk, pass out, watch a movie, and hit a bucket at the driving range without ever even thinking about it. You're not going to do that on a Weber Kettle.

But I use my Weber Kettle a lot because they're a bit of challenge to do a range of cooks on and (to me) they're just fun. Or maybe it just makes me feel like Dennis Quaid in The Right Stuff. I don't know. I just like them.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Great tutorial flave. Everything looks delicious

That's very nice of you to say.

We should buy one another a drink some time.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Rooster7
That brisket is mouth watering.

It's made with real beef.

So you know it will be good.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
You need to take better pics with the knife Flave, otherwise good job.

That is a very cool old slicer.

I'll get better pics soon.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Remsen
I suspect that this is a question that will make no sense, but since I have never had pork ribs (or pork anything), but have had lots of brisket, how do the two compare when done on the Weber?

You are correct in assuming your question didn't make any sense, but I'll try to answer in my best Yiddish.

The taste difference between BBQ on a Weber Kettle vs. a traditional steel BBQ or ceramic is negligible. They're all equally delicious. And this is not just my opinion. I give plates of BBQ away often and they all receive the same amount of praise. And the consumer has no clue what I cooked them on.

If you're asking which of the two types of BBQ are better, I think most people agree that the brisket is the BBQ gold standard. If you put out ribs, a shoulder, chicken, and a properly done brisket, that brisket is going to be gone, gone, gone before the others.

Typically.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I agree with your technique, You stated it well and know what you are doing. In the part of the country I live in the butt ribs and chicken will all be eaten before the brisket.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I agree with your technique, You stated it well and know what you are doing. In the part of the country I live in the butt ribs and chicken will all be eaten before the brisket.

Where is that, roughly?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by auk1124
Gracias. Smoked turkey is about the best schidt ever in my book. Now I'm hungry.
They are very underrated in my opinion and far better than fried.
That's for sure. Brined or cured or just smoked is great. Fried turkey makes for poor leftovers.

Brined (wet or dry) and smoked is a winning combo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you're asking which of the two types of BBQ are better, I think most people agree that the brisket is the BBQ gold standard. If you put out ribs, a shoulder, chicken, and a properly done brisket, that brisket is going to be gone, gone, gone before the others.

A properly done brisket beats a lot of steaks too.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

What are butt ribs? grin

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman

What are butt ribs? grin

Punctuation, is a thing !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by mathman

What are butt ribs? grin

Punctuation, is a thing !

It's pretty important.

You can help your Uncle Jack, off a horse

or....

You can help your Uncle jack off a horse.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, Rooster understands !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First and foremost, if you do not have a grill or BBQ, and you do not want to take the plunge on a quality steel charcoal/wood grill, or a full ceramic like the BGE, or Kamado, you cannot go wrong with a Weber Kettle. They are relatively inexpensive, easily transported and/or stored, and they afford you the opportunity to truly learn how to grill, smoke, and BBQ in general. You could also go with a pellet, gas, or electric type but then you'd be using an oven outside and that's not what we are here to discuss.

Quote above cuts to the chase, especially about pellet, gas, and electric. This thread should be forum sticky. You can get a lot done with the simple kettle.

Never considered a frozen pizza before, but would be super convenient as a snack or appetizer prior to the main cooking session.

Great thread deflave. Thanks for taking the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Of all the kettles I own....the Jumbo Joe is probably the most useful.

You can cook dinner for 10 people on a thimble of charcoal.

After not using a Weber for decades, I got a Jumbo Joe for Christmas a few years ago. Love the thing.

I had forgotten how handy it is to rotate the grill grate, to move food closer or farther from the hot coals (offset).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Biggest fault with the Weber Kettle is the lower air vent/ash clean out slots.
They work great for sweeping ash from the bottom,but will close up (ash covered) when slightly opened for a long low and slow cook.
Using the snake method, I can maintain 250* (+/- 15*) for hours.
BUT, I have to sweep the lower lever to clear ash from covering and closing vents. ( every 3 hours) Temps will begin to fall, clean sweep and all is good.
They have addressed this in the newer grills with "P" shaped lower slots.
The SNS grill ( Weber clone) solved the problem with an adjustable vent hole higher up the lower kettle. They also put the thermometer in the right place.
Weber kettle is awesome grill, like the lump charcoal way better than briquettes.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 4th_point
First and foremost, if you do not have a grill or BBQ, and you do not want to take the plunge on a quality steel charcoal/wood grill, or a full ceramic like the BGE, or Kamado, you cannot go wrong with a Weber Kettle. They are relatively inexpensive, easily transported and/or stored, and they afford you the opportunity to truly learn how to grill, smoke, and BBQ in general. You could also go with a pellet, gas, or electric type but then you'd be using an oven outside and that's not what we are here to discuss.

Quote above cuts to the chase, especially about pellet, gas, and electric. This thread should be forum sticky. You can get a lot done with the simple kettle.

Never considered a frozen pizza before, but would be super convenient as a snack or appetizer prior to the main cooking session.

Great thread deflave. Thanks for taking the time.

Jack's for the win. My girls love them and you are exactly right. Perfect for throwing onto the counter to appease the masses while you get the other stuff going.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ok, my final question on the topic, with a local twist. What effect does weather have on using a kettle? In particular, when it's winter in Montana, can you still use the Weber? Logically, I'd assume the answer is yes, since the conditions under the lid are what count, but I've heard some say that you can't keep the temp right inside the grill if it's below zero outside.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good post Flave... Thanks

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Remsen
Ok, my final question on the topic, with a local twist. What effect does weather have on using a kettle? In particular, when it's winter in Montana, can you still use the Weber? Logically, I'd assume the answer is yes, since the conditions under the lid are what count, but I've heard some say that you can't keep the temp right inside the grill if it's below zero outside.

I throw a $20.00 welding blanket over my Traeger outdoor oven. That might work on your kettle if you cut out a spot for the vent and thermometer.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1minute, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 204guy, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,892
Posts18,518,350
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.