Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I've been oven roasting chicken thighs forever. Results have usually been okay.

But what I've recently discovered beats it out, no contest. The thighs come out more succulent and evenly cooked every time. I'm talking about pan roasting using a cast iron skillet.

Salt and pepper the medium sized thighs on both sides, then place them, skin side down, on a medium hot cast iron skillet that's coated with a tablespoon of lard. It should be hot enough to sizzle immediately upon contact. Leave it there for ten minutes, then place the skillet into a preheated 425 degree oven on a rack placed in the middle position. Leave it in there another 5 minutes, then turn it and leave it in there another 10 minutes. Remove the skillet to the (now) cool stove top, and let the chicken sit on the hot skillet another five minutes, then plate.

You will want to let it sit on the plate another five or ten minutes till it’s cool enough to eat if you don't want a scorched mouth. Once you do, however, you will find that it's perfectly cooked, succulent, and delicious.

For small thighs, the final cook period would be more like eight minutes (rather than ten), and for very large thighs, the final cook period would be more like twelve minutes.

PS If you'd like additional seasoning (such as fresh squeezed lemon juice, garlic powder, and rosemary), you can add that to the non-skin side just before placing in the oven, then again on the skin side right after the turn, followed by the last ten minute cook period.

It's delicious, though, with just plain salt and pepper.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I do the same but add root veggies and an onion with some herbs. Side of cream potatoes. Family favorite cheap hardy meal.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by CBB15
I do the same but add root veggies and an onion with some herbs. Side of cream potatoes. Family favorite cheap hardy meal.

Dang... I would eat a plate or two of that pronto

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
tag

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

But what I've recently discovered beats it out, no contest. The thighs come out more succulent and evenly cooked every time. I'm talking about pan roasting using a cast iron skillet.

Salt and pepper the medium sized thighs on both sides, then place them, skin side down, on a medium hot cast iron skillet that's coated with a tablespoon of lard. It should be hot enough to sizzle immediately upon contact. Leave it there for ten minutes, then place the skillet into a preheated 425 degree oven on a rack placed in the middle position. Leave it in there another 5 minutes, then turn it and leave it in there another 10 minutes. Remove the skillet to the (now) cool stove top, and let the chicken sit on the hot skillet another five minutes, then plate.

You will want to let it sit on the plate another five or ten minutes till it’s cool enough to eat if you don't want a scorched mouth. Once you do, however, you will find that it's perfectly cooked, succulent, and delicious.

For small thighs, the final cook period would be more like eight minutes (rather than ten), and for very large thighs, the final cook period would be more like twelve minutes.

PS If you'd like additional seasoning (such as fresh squeezed lemon juice, garlic powder, and rosemary), you can add that to the non-skin side just before placing in the oven, then again on the skin side right after the turn, followed by the last ten minute cook period.

Only way I've cooked chicken thighs, forever...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Only way I've cooked chicken thighs, forever...

Amen my Coues hunting amigo!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I grill them. Unbeatable.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
tag... thanks for the recipe...

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
Agreed
If they aint fried or oven fried....they are grilled.

In fact....99 times out of 100 they are grilled.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My guilty pleasure is the wife's dijon balsamic shake n bake chicken thighs. Makes me all emotional for childhood again. It's damn smell that hits you when you walk in the house. Instant time machine.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ironbender
That's an improvement over traditional oven roasting. I started getting into that this past summer. Good summer alternative, because it doesn't heat up the kitchen, but any other time of the year, pan roasting is the way I'm going from now on.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
IMO if you are using a stovetop, and you aren't using cast, you are cooking wrong to begin with.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
IMO if you are using a stovetop, and you aren't using cast, you are cooking wrong to begin with.
Been big on cast iron for many years. I've been using it for oven braising and stove top frying for well over a decade.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I'm a CI freak myself...steakhouse steak at home! Yummm!

Do you put a cover on that, either burner or oven?

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This is what I do with chicken thighs. Unless it's fajitas:

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter
I'm a CI freak myself...steakhouse steak at home! Yummm!

Do you put a cover on that, either burner or oven?
Not for the recipe in the starting post. Of course the cast iron Dutch Oven gets covered when braising or making a stew. Made a great lamb stew that way a couple of weeks ago, and some braised short ribs last week.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Awesome beard, deflave. Where can we see some of your other culinary videos?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I grill them almost exclusively but it's hard to beat pan fried chicken, if done correctly.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
It occurs to me that I enjoyed them traditionally oven roasted back when I had a gas oven range. Since switching to electric a couple of years ago, I cannot make them taste particulary good oven roasted. Regardless, I love the way they come out pan roasted in a cast iron skillet according to the recipe in the starting post of this thread.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You switched from a gas range to electric?

SMH

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

337 members (22kHornet, 160user, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 06hunter59, 35 invisible), 1,400 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,096
Posts18,522,196
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.