Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have never put used motor oil in my diesel truck tank. But I have been using it for almost 50 years as bar oil in my chainsaws. just another way to make use of it.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
I have read about people doing that in Turd World countries.

We best get on it then.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
I had the injector pump and injectors rebuilt on my Ford 2600 a few years back, and the mechanic who did the job advised me to add a little cheap 2-cycle oil to my fuel. No mention of used motor oil. Considering how cheap you can get 2-cycle oil I would go with that before I would consider used motor oil.

What r
[quote=Beoceorl]I had the injector pump and injectors rebuilt on my Ford 2600 a few years back, and the mechanic who did the job advised me to add a little cheap 2-cycle oil to my fuel. No mention of used motor oil. Considering how cheap you can get 2-cycle oil I would go with that before I would consider used motor oil.

What ratio do you like?

The fuel tank on the tractor holds 13 gallons, and the mechanic suggested about a quart per tankful.
52:1 in a full tank. 2 stroke oil seems like the best option since it is made to lubricate and burn off. Do you need it with every tank or just like scheduled maintenance?

Thank you both

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Ya know when you see some pos turnip tractor going down the road in Romania with dude’s fat ass old lady sittin on the fender with him, You KNOW theyre adding spent oil to stretch their fuel

Slum, you should have been a screenwriter for Quentin Tarantino!

You paint pictures with words!

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I saw a short documentary a few years ago about a young couple who drove a diesel VW van across country on meat grease that they would pick up from burger joints along the way. The meat grease would congeal in the tank so they had a separate tank for it. They would run on diesel until the heat from the engine liquified the meat grease then switch over to running it on the meat grease fuel tank. They said the exhaust smelled like grilling burgers.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I was in the wholesale fuel and lube business for 29 years. The ultra low sulfur diesel fuels today reduced lubricity, and cetane content. We tried various fuel treatments over the years, and the best for increasing the above mentioned shortcomings was Diesel Treat EDT. About 4oz per 25 gallons. As mentioned above, no way I'd put used motor oil in a modern diesel engine, period.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the injector pump and injectors rebuilt on my Ford 2600 a few years back, and the mechanic who did the job advised me to add a little cheap 2-cycle oil to my fuel. No mention of used motor oil. Considering how cheap you can get 2-cycle oil I would go with that before I would consider used motor oil.

What r
[quote=Beoceorl]I had the injector pump and injectors rebuilt on my Ford 2600 a few years back, and the mechanic who did the job advised me to add a little cheap 2-cycle oil to my fuel. No mention of used motor oil. Considering how cheap you can get 2-cycle oil I would go with that before I would consider used motor oil.

What ratio do you like?

The fuel tank on the tractor holds 13 gallons, and the mechanic suggested about a quart per tankful.
52:1 in a full tank. 2 stroke oil seems like the best option since it is made to lubricate and burn off. Do you need it with every tank or just like scheduled maintenance?

That was my thinking on the 2-cycle oil. It's made to be burned, so should produce less ash/carbon than ordinary motor oil.

If I am just topping off a tank with a few gallons I don't bother with the oil. I wait until I am filling up a near empty tank.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What r

What ratio do you like?

That was my thinking on the 2-cycle oil. It's made to be burned, so should produce less ash/carbon than ordinary motor oil.

If I am just topping off a tank with a few gallons I don't bother with the oil. I wait until I am filling up a near empty tank.

The thing that interests me about that - does it burn/ignite at a different point than diesel does? Sooner/later in the combustion stroke/cycle?

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal

What r

What ratio do you like?

The thing that interests me about that - does it burn/ignite at a different point than diesel does? Sooner/later in the combustion stroke/cycle?

I'm sure it just slightly lowers the cetane value of the fuel, but in an older engine like the X600 series Fords (1970's vintage) I doubt it really matters.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Ya know when you see some pos turnip tractor going down the road in Romania with dude’s fat ass old lady sittin on the fender with him, You KNOW theyre adding spent oil to stretch their fuel

I think the Romanians who read USA news might just consider the USA the 'turd world'.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A bit like STP viscocity enhancer I would imagine... Helps seal up and lubricate those rings...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
LOL! This thread ought to get the greenies’ knickers in a bunch.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Diesel mechanic told me Marvel Mystery and 2 cycle were good additives for the pump and injectors. I use Marvel and Yamalube when filling.

Would that be in your diesel electric locomotive?

The one that goes...

Toot Toot

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Teal, Common motor oils when introduced into the combustion chamber which is at full operating temperature (!)in an atomized condition raise BTU's/energy. This is hard to measure in motive equipment...but in large power gensets and large marine diesels, which have individual cylinder pyrometers and constant manifold intake pressure monitoring(turbo engines of course) it is easy to see.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 1966 Oliver 1850 that has a Perkins 6 cylinder engine. I add one ounce of 2 stroke oil to every gallon of diesel I put in it. I don't use enough diesel to get a storage tank so I'm buying diesel 5 gallons at a time from commercial pumps. I'm suspicious of the low sulfur fuels not getting enough lubrication to the fuel pump and injectors so adding the oil is cheap insurance.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of great ideas.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drove for Schneider National in the 90s.

One of the biggest long haul companies, they had 12,000 trucks on the road. They were making their money from saving it. Every cent, every part of a cent. Studied everything intensively and scientifically.

Right down to being able to tell you have much lineal distance was lost to a truck running new lug style drive tires. (800 feet/mile driven, due to tread flex)

At every PM we were supposed to bring the truck to the shop with the 2 120gallon tanks 1/2 to 3/4 full of fuel. So there was room for the 10 gallon of oil, and enough diesel to dilute it.

They were supposed to filter it, but I had fuel filter issues several times
soon after PM. Got tired of changing new filters out, so just went in for PMs with my tanks full from then on. And no more filter issues.

This was in the mechanical engine days. Cummins.
Don't think it was done on the Series 60 Detroits when they came along.

You dam sure can't be doing it on post 2007 EPA engines.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I figure if I get low, once I get the old MF fixed, I'll just go to town and siphon some oil out of the tanks a lot of folks have for their Monitor heaters.

If I think it needs more lubricity, there's always bacon greeze and olive oil from frying and stuff around here. Put it in a jar for now so's it don't go in the septic tank.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tesoro

I think the Romanians who read USA news might just consider the USA the 'turd world'.

Imagine what they think about LadyBoy Kotek?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 219DW, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 49 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,456
Posts18,529,090
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.