Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mark, I meant elk as a species are easier imo. Not so much our locale. I’ve been lucky enough to kill some damn nice Roosevelt bulls, the biggest came with musket, which is early October, they’re still pretty rutty. After rut, it gets quite a bit harder on the big bulls as they’re pretty solitary, raghorns not so much, as they’re hangin with cows still. Do like me some elk meat, but damn, those horns sure look good hung up and conjure up some great memories.👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like hunting and nothing gets me more exciting than killing bucks in the old growth timber. Killing nice bucks is fun to show off but I'm equal opportunity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MedRiver
I would classify myself as an "experience" hunter more than anything, sometimes size is a factor in the quality of the experience, sometimes not. Even though I can appreciate a nice rack or large critter and sometimes target them, memories mean more to me than inches. Elk, antelope, and whitetail does are food. Mature (not necessarily monster) mulies are a treasure. Truth is, I spend more money and time chasing animals I have almost zero desire to kill than anything else. What I spend every year just on dog food, fuel, repairs, vet bills etc. just to go follow my hounds to an animal I won't personally tag would buy a lot of groceries. I may hang my tag on a nice lion someday but, so far, whenever I have had the chance, I let someone else take them because I figured it would mean more to them than me. I turned down a dandy a couple years ago because my kids or dad weren't there to be part of it.

MedRiver;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope your part of Montana is getting weather you can live with and you and your fine family are well.

Before I inevitably wander into the rhubarb as I'm wont to, I'd like to thank you both for sharing your family hunts with us here as I believe they're important on a lot of levels.

Way, way back in the day there were a few of us who would do similar posts and while I can't speak for anyone else, while it was nice to share the successes afield our girls were having, I was hoping that it might inspire other fathers or mentors to do likewise.

For sure then sir, from a semi-geezer with now adult children, a sincere tip of the battered Bailey for making the time and taking the energy needed to get the next shift out hunting.

As to Beaver's question, I'd say it's changed for me over the years but I think that's likely not entirely uncommon as hunters age either.

I'll agree with MedRiver that mature mulies are a treasure.

We had a pretty decent buck frequenting our yard for two seasons and while I could have legally shot him during season last fall, I didn't for reasons that I find difficult to articulate other than to say it wouldn't have been right for me to do that. I hear he got shot illegally in someone's yard in town this season, so that's how that ended, which is too bad.

When Judman says none of us are strictly meat hunters anymore because we don't need to hunt for the meat and it's so costly to obtain, I personally think about the thankyou card I get every Christmas from the local fuel station..... wink

This year it'll be special as it's costing us north of $0.50/mile to run the diesel pickup just for fuel and that doesn't include the little $1700 misc. maintenance appointment last week either - but here's the thing, I spend that money knowing it is part of a means to an end that fills a need within me. Nothing else I've done in life has filled that need in the same way either and at this stage it appears nothing will.

Unlike Judman, I am less and less fond of actually killing the game animal, but am still feel joy or fulfillment when I've done so - there's a puzzle for some shrink out there, you know?

There was a time when I didn't feel that way, but so help me now it just feels like the mountain is a bit smaller with me having taken the animal off of it. That's the best explanation I can articulate at this time, but that doesn't stop me from wandering around in snow up to my knees like I was for 3 hours this morning either.

That all said, I actually prefer eating a lot of cuts of deer rather than beef. We were getting really nice beef off of a rancher buddy too - "remember that black and white steer you branded last spring Dwayne" - so again the beef was good but I do like to eat both local whitetails and mulies.

I'm not certain I've answered the question Beaver10 posed or not, but I can say I have very much enjoyed the back and forth of where some of the folks around the 'Fire are at on it.

Thanks all who've responded honestly, thanks again to MedRiver for taking the next generation out and good hunting to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks Dwayne. I appreciate it. My oldest is out of the house and doing her own thing down in Mexico for the next 1.5 years so my time with the next generation is going fast for me it seams

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by roundoak
Why would I want to be a meat hunter when I raise prime angus beef? The only exceptions are: 1) I donate 2 doe to the DNR sponsored food pantry. 2) My wife and her mother can the meat of a doe and donate it to the church bazaar every year. After that it is big animals and horns, son.

The monster whitetails you and your crew kill during rifle season completely befuddles me. In my experience the only way that happens is if you control a large contiguous tract of land, out here that'd be 1,500+ acres with a 50/50 mix of timber to crop land, and have almost no hunting pressure prior to the rifle season.

Don't get me wrong, I always look forward to your deer season tales, so whatever you're doing, keep up the great work!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by CRS
Interesting topic, classify me however you want.

But I am with Judman. Plain and simple, I am a hunter, and all that entails.

I still have two any deer tags, and three antlerless tags left this year. So I can be both a meat hunter and trophy hunter. Next weekend I am taking my 84yo Dad out deer hunting. Add guide and butcher to the list.

Fortunately I filled my cow elk tag this year. Freezer is full. So for the rest of the seasons, I will be a trophy hunter, but I do want to shoot one antlerless deer for sausage, brats, bacon.
confused crazy

So what am I? And why railroad me into one or the other. I hunt with traditional bows, rifles, muzzleloaders, shotguns, and 22 RF. I fish sometimes too....

If someone wants to focus all their energy into one pursuit, have at it.

Done, CRS.

Your classification is a ‘BI’ Hunter.

😬🦫

Don't know if that is good or bad....
But I am what I am!

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BuzzH
My tags, my hunt, I’ll shoot or not and don’t need to defend my decisions.

I don’t care what others choose to shoot either, or why.

As long as it’s legal and ethical, do your thing and hunt/shoot what you want.

If I see a cow elk here in a little bit I’ll shoot my second elk for the year in wyoming. Going to have to be close, wind is honking up to 60 mph.

Well, ended up going OK today, found 3 herds of elk and the last group of 150 or so were in a good spot for me, bad spot for them.

With the wind blowing full insane today, I knew I had to get close. Glassed them and looked like I could be in business stalking up a draw. Got right on top of them, the closest ones were about 30 yards, but all bedded in a big knot, no way to not hit 2. One on the far edge finally stood up to stretch and that was a bad move. Shot was only 72 yards and I killed it with my late Grandfather's 300 Winchester. Last time I fired that rifle was checking zero for him in the summer of 1999. Since then, my Dad has shot 3 shiras moose with it, by brother killed a shiras with it and I wanted to, but killed a moose before they got down here to help me out.

Not sure how old this one is, but real old. I kept a tooth to have it aged by the GF.

I think this was the last whitetail my Grandfather shot with his rifle, November of 1999, he was 84.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

The elk I shot with it today:

Old cow, kept a bottom tooth to send in for aging...I'm guessing crowding 20 years old:

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by oldtimr1
As far as “poacher”, is it? Says who? Folks have fed their families since the beginning of time with meat.guess it depends how you were raised and where. As for me, if a guy killed a critter and ate it, I’d never turn him in or call him a poacher. 👍

The above is just so much nonsense!! Poachers are thieves, no one in this day and age (needs) to poach wildlife to feed the family, no one. With the government giveaways and welfare I have watched welfare turds load their cart with 20 or 30 lbs of expensive beef steaks, then whip out the welfare so-called Credit card to pay for it. When I see that kind of thing I am so tempted to ask them if I am invited to dinner since I helped pay for their food! The feed the family excuse for being a thief and scumbag was worn out many decades ago!

Well I’ll be a scumbag then, if I was in that position, I’d “steal” wildlife before I ever thought about welfare. Ymmv👍👊🏻

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
You made it clear what you are!

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations on your elk BuzzH.

Isn't it the best thing, taking an animal with a family heirloom? That's a beauty!

When I hunt with mine, I feel as though my father is with me during the hunt :o)

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/05/22.

KB

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by KillerBee

Isn't it the best thing, taking an animal with a family heirloom? That's a beauty!

When I hunt with mine, I feel as though my father is with me during the hunt :o)

Cheers ~

For sure, I also killed an elk with my Dad's pre-64 30/06 some years back. My Dad, Grandpa, and I have all killed deer, elk, and pronghorn with that same rifle in Montana.

My Grandfather gave the pre-64 to my Dad and bought the 300 for himself.

Last edited by BuzzH; 11/05/22.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like to do both

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is one of the moose I have shot with mine, I actually shot 2 bulls that day, a double as I called them in together, they traveled as a team the other one was bigger.

Mine is a BSA Sporterized 1917 .30-06.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KB

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by oldtimr1
You made it clear what you are!

Don’t stroke out!! Remember to keep your lume subscription up to date, sally!! 😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BuzzH

Cheers ~

For sure, I also killed an elk with my Dad's pre-64 30/06 some years back. My Dad, Grandpa, and I have all killed deer, elk, and pronghorn with that same rifle in Montana.

My Grandfather gave the pre-64 to my Dad and bought the 300 for himself.

Hell ya. Grats

Never thought I’d say that to you, so 🖕🏿😆

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This is one of the moose I have shot with mine, I actually shot 2 bulls that day, a double as I called than in together, they traveled as a team the other one was bigger.

Mine is a BSA Sporterized 1917.

Pretty darn sweet...I like it!

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark, this day and age, there is no such thing as a “meat hunter”. Not even close. A meat hunter nowadays would have a open sighted 22, wouldn’t buy a license, and would drive a $500 truck. Now….. most folks still love the hunt, and enjoy the meat, but, there is no such thing as a “meat hunter”, especially one that posts on the www. 👊🏻

Gonna have to disagree. I am a meat hunter. For me it is about filling the freezer. I have not targeted a buck or bull in decades and go after does and cows for the most part. 2 plump does will feed me and the wife for a year and if you toss in a hog then I'm good for sausage and port roasts too. I can easily afford to buy meat but I prefer to hunt it. To say I am not a meat hunter is really overly simplistic on your end.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I wished you lived closer mac, I’d keep you in venison backstraps and tenderloin 👊🏻👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC
Mark, this day and age, there is no such thing as a “meat hunter”. Not even close. A meat hunter nowadays would have a open sighted 22, wouldn’t buy a license, and would drive a $500 truck. Now….. most folks still love the hunt, and enjoy the meat, but, there is no such thing as a “meat hunter”, especially one that posts on the www. 👊🏻

Gonna have to disagree. I am a meat hunter. For me it is about filling the freezer. I have not targeted a buck or bull in decades and go after does and cows for the most part. 2 plump does will feed me and the wife for a year and if you toss in a hog then I'm good for sausage and port roasts too. I can easily afford to buy meat but I prefer to hunt it. To say I am not a meat hunter is really overly simplistic on your end.

MAC, try cutting your sausage with Beef Fat instead of Pig. Beef fat does not go rancid and change the flavor of the sausage after being in the freezer for a few months. I will guarantee you that you will be happy you did :o)

Cheers ~

KB

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't care what other people do as long as it doesn't have a negative impact on me. As a land owner in a State without a lot of public land, I heartily dislike trespasser and will press charges against them every chance I get. I cut down 4 tree stands that trespassers put up on our ground just last week. I cut 'em down, drag 'em out to the nearest county road, cut 'em up with a sawzall, and leave them in a pile for the scrappers to pick up. The guys putting up these stands know that they're trespassing and by their actions show that they just don't care.

I prefer to shoot bucks that have nice or unusual racks, so most young bucks are going to get a pass from me. I'll tag a deer that is showing signs of being wounded, just so it won't die a slow death or get torn apart by coyotes while it is still alive. I can buy 2 buck tags and about as many antlerless whitetail tags as I want, so the opportunity to fill a freezer with venison is pretty much a given. I actually give most of the deer that I shoot away, usually to Hunters Helping The Hungry.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

204 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 2500HD, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 160user, 257robertsimp, 20 invisible), 1,733 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,146
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.