Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
On the prowl for a great shotgun and I've got it narrowed down to 3 and my LGS. These will be used primarily for waterfowl
First is a new Winchester sx4 28"---$859

Next is a used browning maxus sporting 30"---$900

Lastly is a Benelli M2 28"---$995

My heart has me leaning toward the maxus but the Winchester has my attention too. I just don't have any experience with them

Anybody got any insight, or things to know about these shotguns? Good news is I doubt any of them are junk

Last edited by Rlhunter0403; 11/07/22.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Browning Maxus
Benelli M2
Winchester in this ord

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Flip a quarter between the Browning and Benelli. Or whichever fits you better.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Fit here is important. I had an M2 but could never get comfortable with the stepped rib. Ended up selling it.

Benelli is an inertia gun. Will be lighter, recoil more, and have the easiest takedown of the three.

Maxus is a great gun but I assume the sporting has a wood stock. Not what I'd choose for primary waterfowl.

Not on your list, but a new Browning Silver or A300 would be worth a look too.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Of the 3 you mentioned, the Benelli will be the most reliable and the only one I’d consider. As another poster said, skip all three and get a Beretta A300. Less money and IMO the clear best value in the autoloader market.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Benelli

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Funny some of you guys said the Beretta A300 because that is one I forgot to include as one of the favorites. After I posted, I remembered that I liked it too. I have read the Beretta had some trigger issues about a year ago, does anybody know if that has been fixed?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of the ones listed - I'd go Win first. Yeah I said it - one hell of a shotgun that has never choked for me. Trap loads to 3.5 snow goose killing roman candles.

When I was younger we'd do a lot of "redneck" diver hunting. We'd wade out infront of a friends house into the bay. Toss dekes and then simply set up, in the water/weeds on stools in our waders and shoot blue bills. SX was soaked and 1/2 submerged at anytime for hours. Never a single issue (proper clean after). Trust them completely.

Me

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have not had a SX4 but did have a SX3. It fit me better than the others listed and I did own a Benelli but borrowed a buddies Maxus.
If it were me, I would go Win, Browning and Benelli in that order.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
So to throw a kink in the mix......the a300 ultima is only $699.99 and its brand new. How does that change things?

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WMR
Of the 3 you mentioned, the Benelli will be the most reliable and the only one I’d consider. As another poster said, skip all three and get a Beretta A300. Less money and IMO the clear best value in the autoloader market.

Where do you get the most reliable part of it? Have you taken apart both of them and had and shot them any for a period of time?

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Love my m2 . Ive shot it a lot without a single issue

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Note the safety location on the Berettas. You may be okay with it, I would not. Just something else for you to consider.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by WMR

Where do you get the most reliable part of it? Have you taken apart both of them and had and shot them any for a period of time?

I've shot a couple Benellis and still have one. They've worked fine in poor conditions. I admit I quit Browning gas guns after owning a couple of their Gold models. They ran ok clean, but not dirty. My buddy shoots more than me and he ditched his Maxus due to jamming. He now shoots the A300 and it runs like a charm. YMMV but I've seen enough gas operated Brownings.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Right now I am leaning hard toward the Beretta

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I am a Benelli fan. That seems like a good deal on tbe Benelli M2.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two Winchester SX4s and two Maxus IIs. I will say the SX4 is right up there with the Maxus II in terms of performance. In terms of fit and finish, the Maxus II is a little nicer. You see this mainly on the internal parts. Maybe the Maxus is a little more refined. The Maxus II also has a magazine cut off switch that lets you change out a shell in the chamber without cycling in a new one from the magazine. The Maxus II also has a speed load feature - it let's you open the bolt, feed the magazine, the press a button to cycle a round from the magazine into the chamber with just a press of the button. The SX4 doesn't have these. I don't use those features, really. Both the SX4 and Maxus II work on the same gas action. Both are made by Browning in their Portugal plant. Both have chrome lined chambers and bores. Both use the Browning Invector Plus choke tube system.

If you can live without the speed load and magazine cutoff features, the SX4 and the Maxus II are identical in performance. I'd go with a new Winchester.

I don't own an inertia Benelli, but I do have a Browning A5 that uses a similar system. I like it. It's ultra reliable with heavier loads. It's a cleaner design and cleanup is a breeze. But the felt recoil is noticably harder than a gas gun when using equal shell.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Whichever one fits you best.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by kappa8
Whichever one fits you best.

Went back to the gun shop and pointed the winchester, the browning, and the beretta to see which one fit me the best. The beretta was the clear winner. So now its in the back of my car.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on a fine gun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 11 invisible), 1,738 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,904
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.