Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I have a Kimber 8400 300WSM... The gun had no problems up until yesterday. I had a new scope put on and then went to the range. I fired about 40 shots in a couple hours, however, it was one shell at a time. I went hunting this morning and noticed that the shells loaded a little harder then normal when putting 3 shells in the magazine. When I closed the bolt on the last shell in the chamber I noticed the bolt closed a little tight as well. So, I pulled the shell out of the chamber and decided to cycle all the shells through instead of dumping them out of the bottom.. Well, the shells won't feed, and the 1 that did (last shell in magazine) had the tip banged up when I looked at it. When I push the bolt in the top shell gets driven straight ahead and the bullet doesn't get its nose up in order to travel into the action. This is something brand new with this gun, it used to feed just fine. I'm no gunsmith and know very little about the mechanical workings of rifles, so for those of you in the know, your gonna have to explain it like you would to a novice. Thanks guys..
Jet

HR IC

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
If you left the rifle at the Smiths, I would check the serial number to be sure it is your rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's the serial number range?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Take it out of the stock and look at the front of the magazine box. Sometimes loading single shots allows the magazine follower under recoil to hammer the front of the box, distorting it. If that's the problem, Kimber will likely replace the box. Load multiple shots in the future.

Jaywalker

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Welcome to the wonderful world of Kimber Rifles that so many of us have found.........

However I am Sorry to hear about you problem.....

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Alright... My gun has gremlins.. Cleaned it up and took it to a gun shop. The gunsmith looked at it, and didn't notice anything wrong. Ran some Nosler Accubonds through it and guess what, feeds like a charm. I took it home and ran the same box of partitions through it that wouldn't feed before and still feeds great. I have no idea what it was, maybe some crud or something that I dislodged when I cleaned it, but it was really wierd. It back to the Kimber I love... BTW.. This had always been a sub MOA gun, However, I bought a box of cheap Winchester 180gr bullets and Wow... Three shot sub 1/2 group!! All three shots touching with 2 of them basically in the same hole...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
THe cartridge overall length might be the problem, as well.

I start a new rifle's loading by running a factory remington round in the same weight bullet I intend to use into the seater die, then adjusting the seater plug to that bullet.

I've never had a problem with reloads using this method.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jetjockey
I have no idea what it was, maybe some crud or something that I dislodged when I cleaned it, but it was really wierd.

Glad you got her working again but if this was due to "crud" then that blows a hole in the CRF fan's sail! I thought CRFs were suppose to be fail safe?

I doubt it was crud, there is no way crud can malfunction a CRF! wink No way! grin

MtnHtr

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jetjockey
I have a Kimber 8400 300WSM... The gun had no problems up until yesterday. I had a new scope put on and then went to the range. I fired about 40 shots in a couple hours, however, it was one shell at a time. I went hunting this morning and noticed that the shells loaded a little harder then normal when putting 3 shells in the magazine. When I closed the bolt on the last shell in the chamber I noticed the bolt closed a little tight as well. So, I pulled the shell out of the chamber and decided to cycle all the shells through instead of dumping them out of the bottom.. Well, the shells won't feed, and the 1 that did (last shell in magazine) had the tip banged up when I looked at it. When I push the bolt in the top shell gets driven straight ahead and the bullet doesn't get its nose up in order to travel into the action. This is something brand new with this gun, it used to feed just fine. I'm no gunsmith and know very little about the mechanical workings of rifles, so for those of you in the know, your gonna have to explain it like you would to a novice. Thanks guys..
Jet
When Kimber first came out with their 84M Classic, I bought one in .308 Win. Right from the start, it would not feed from the magazine. Brought it back to the store. They sent it back to Kimber. Kimber sent me a new one. Same exact problem. Brought it back to the store, store owner said let's find you one that works. We went through the two he had on display, and only one of them would feed correctly, even if roughly, so I took that in exchange, and he sent the defective rifles back to Kimber. That's my Kimber experience. Never bought another Kimber. Like my pre-64 Winchester 70s just fine, thank you very much.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I asked about your serial number as the early 8400's (and until recently the 84's) had a relatively steep feedramp that was redesigned to a 10 degree shallower angle... feeding definitely improved.

No WSM feeds superbly, but most can be made to feed good enough. The Rem 700's I've used in various WSM's are among the worst...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Brad... What serial number range am I looking for? My gun is 2 years old, so I believe its the older 8400.. The gun feeds well though, and this was just a really wierd incident. I may get slammed for this, but, my Kimber feeds almost as well as my pre64 270..... Almost...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't know if it helps but I clean the magazine box from time to time and lubricate the edges of the floor plate with Rem Oil, and rub the sidewalls with a light coat of rem oil. I have not had any feeding problems with my 6 month old Kimber WSM. Mine worked well on Friday to take an 8 point deer at 22 yards with a 180 AB.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What Brad is getting to is that someplace around the KW15000 serial #, Kimber re-designed the feed ramp for the WSM's. The new one I worked with on Friday was KW18000+ so I believe yours easily will be pre KW15000. Glad to hear the magazine is feeding fine. Would have been nice to come up with a cause though.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
.......dubious argument based on a purely hypothetical set of facts..that's convincing!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first guess is that the person who put the scope on your rifle took the stock off. When he put the stock back on the end of the follower spring was caught back and therefore the front of the magazines follower was tipped down and would not lift the front of the cartridges.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Savage.. What your suggesting sounds about right.. The front of the cartridges wasn't coming up. But, the stock remained on the rifle, I watched the guy mount the scope. I'm thinking that maybe something was messing with the spring.. But I have no idea... It really was weird....

Will Kimber put the new designed feed ramp on older models like they do with the old 84m's that had the two position safety??

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just take a rasp file to that feed ramp... easy peasy...

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, Amos63, 9 invisible), 1,543 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.