Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
If it's an emergency, out of town etc., they will pay. Aetna is nationwide where as Blue Cross is pretty small. It's a mess but the bigger can be better

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have A,B and D,had A and B for years but when they retired me i got D.

The rest have not made any sense to me but maybe it's just all of the darn phone calls that leave me jaded.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have a Blue Cross Advantage. It costs us $19/mo each. We've both had surgery in the last 2 years, her knee, my shoulder. Her out of pocket was under $2000 and that includes 3 braces, therapy, the works. Mine was about $1000.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffyD
So many companies.
So many plans.
So much confusion.
Help! I'm overwhelmed!

Retiring in January, wondering if any of my fellow geezers might have any advice or recommendations.

Much appreciated.
Jeff

I start Medicare in March of 2023. Currently I have no health issues other than slight elevation of eyeball pressure that could be a future glaucoma issue, no prescriptions other than eye drops for the ocular pressure.

I like the option that original medicare provides where I can be serviced by any medical doc that accepts medicare. No screwing around with choosing docs that are in network and all that mess. This is important for me 'cause never know when I'm traveling the country might need to get something fixed.

Research I've done and advice I've read suggest that if I choose original medicare be sure to enroll in the Part D for prescription drugs 'cause it's inexpensive, part G MediGap to cover A&B deductables with one exception. Info below was copy/paste from MedicareGuide.com, link below:

Medicare Supplement Plan G, also called Medigap Plan G, is a supplemental policy that has become more common since it was first made available a few years ago. And thanks to the phasing out of the popular Medigap Plan F in 2022, Plan G is now the plan of choice for many.

Medicare Supplement/Medigap Overview
There are 10 standardized Medicare Supplement policies (A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M, N) that help reduce your costs under Original Medicare (Part A and B). Medicare doesn’t fully cover all treatments and services, leaving “gaps” that these policies can fill.

If you have a Medigap policy, you can use any doctor, hospital or facility that accepts Medicare in the U.S. and U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands. The healthcare providers must be enrolled in Medicare and must accept new Medicare patients. The majority of doctors and hospitals in the U.S. take Original Medicare.1 Six of the plans (C, D, F, G, M, N) cover foreign travel emergencies up to plan limits — typically $ 50,000-lifetime limit coverage after an initial $250 deductible in the first two months of travel .2

What Does Plan G Cover?
Plan F is considered the top-of-the-line Medigap policy. It covers 100% of the gaps in Medicare. Plan G’s coverage is nearly as good with one exception: Plan G does not cover the Part B deductible, which is $233 in 2022. Even with paying the Part B deductible, many Medicare enrollees find Plan G more cost-effective than Plan F when considering their respective premiums.

Plan G covers everything that Medicare Part A and B cover at 100% except for the Part B deductible. This means that you won’t pay anything out-of-pocket for covered services and treatments after you pay the deductible.

Like Medigap Plan F, Plan G also covers “excess charges.” Doctors who don’t accept the full Medicare-approved amount as full payment can charge you up to 15% more than the Medicare-approved amount for services or procedures. This is known as the “excess charge.”3 Most doctors accept the Medicare-approved payment and cannot bill you the extra amount. Since 2016, excess charges are illegal in these states: Connecticut, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

This link is worth a read: https://medicareguide.com/medicare-supplement-plan-g-150859#cover

Enjoy your retirement Jeffry, I am, every day is a saturday!

GOA
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
One important aspect of this whole Medicare three-ring circus that can bite you in the butt is the fact that when you FIRST BECOME ELIGIBLE FOR MEDICARE any of these Medicare plans MUST accept you regardless of your state of health. But later, if you want to change to a “better” plan, that plan can reject you!

So, if you are 65, in perfect health, and decide to join a plan with zero monthly premium, minimum coverage, and they even give you $75/month free money ... then two years later you come down with a serious disease and your plan sucks as far as treatment goes, EVERY plan with serious coverage WILL reject you!

And whatever plan that does accept you will require you to cough up big bucks for everything.

Advantage plans will throw roadblocks in your path, deny or interfere with your treatments, dictate EXACTLY what is done in an operating room, and what and how many medical professionals can participate.

Best bet is pay more for better/best coverage when you first join Medicare.

There are a few exceptions that would force a Medicare plan to accept you, like move to another state, or your original plan is no longer being offered, etc.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't think Medicare Plan F is available now to new subscribers.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rainshot
Don’t get an advantage plan..
THAT! All the nurses at the place my wife works say the same thing.. They're fine for preventive stuff, but if you need surgery etc., you'll pay YUGE outta pocket..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by rainshot
Don’t get an advantage plan..
THAT! All the nurses at the place my wife works say the same thing.. They're fine for preventive stuff, but if you need surgery etc., you'll pay YUGE outta pocket..

Not true. I have had a replaced shoulder, stroke, back surgery, and hand surgery. No HUGE out of pocket cost.In fact most have a limited max out of pocket cost for everything. All follow the Medicare guide line for the doughnut gap for prescriptions

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Had all the same problems as everyone else plus not being able to hear well. My auto and home policies in the same place. I asked the agent if they handled Medicare supplements to. He told me that my insurer didn't do that but they have an associate who deals with that exclusively for Blue Cross Blue Shield for Medicare supplement policies. So I scheduled an appointment. Ended up getting BCBS "g" a little more than some little less than others. Thing is when there are questions and bills she is right there guiding me thru it or handling what needs to be done. No talking to some asswipe on the phone with a foreign accent at 500 words a minute and gusts to 1000. It works for me because of my major hearing loss and the ability to go face to face with my BSBC agent. It's all fugging expensive. The 170 up frt and about 195 BCBS that includes the prescription coverage/ per month..mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 11/12/22.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’ve had Plan N for the four yrs since retired. I had bilateral TKR February 14,’20. Not one dime was I charged. Nada. Different surgeon and team on each side. Accepted Medicare Assignment. Also, scheduler discovered that if both performed at same time the second was half rate, per Medicare rule. These cutters were the principals w Dallas Orthopedic Surgery Inc. All they do is knee and hip replacements and Sports injuries of same.
Plan N has been the stuff for me.

Last edited by gkt5450; 11/12/22.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by worriedman
If you can get the Mutual of Omaha or a Washington National Supplement they are the best going. (Actually Mutual of Omaha owns Washington National), I have traditional Medicare and the Mutual of Omaha supplement and I never pay anything other than my yearly deductible. Meds are different but all mine are generic and they are cheap on my $15.00 a month plan.

Wish I could get one like that for beer...
I am retiring in 60 days and have been researching this subject. Three different brokers have mentioned Mutual of Omaha. Identical coverage for lower price.

We are meeting in two weeks with a broker reccomended by our Primary Care Provider. As the broker handles provider's husband's accounts.

Who would recognize a quality broker better than a health care provider. Especially a provider who's family one has known for 30 years, and know she is sincere and trustworthy.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,819
Posts18,477,741
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.