Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Things you can do to lighten a Model 70 (we'll assume a post-64 short action since we are going for light).
1. You can modify the tang to a pre-war style.
2. You can thin the recoil lug (leave a ridge in the center for stiffness and strength).
3. On the post-64, the magazine box forms the feed rails so the mag well does not have to be so deep. You can remove an eighth inch.
4. You can scallop the left side of the receiver ( like a BRNO ZKK)
5. You can turn the flat off the bottom of the receiver ring. While I'm not real big on this mod, it is doable.
6. You can replace the mag follower with an aluminum one.
7.Use pre-64 featherweight bottom metal (you have to shorten the floorplate)
8.Hollow the bolt handle and knob.
9. Ditch the middle screw.
With all of these mods, you will end up at a weight about the same as a 700.
As for the rest of the rifle, the formula is pretty standard fare. Skinny barrel. Lightweight stock. Lightweight pad. Don't add a bipod or a 2 pound scope. For light weight scope mounts, the old standard Weavers are pretty effective. GD

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Lie. Tell everyone it weighs 6 lbs with scope and shoots 1/2" groups at 200 yards.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The simplest thing to do is sell the brown and pre 64 barreled action and grab a Kimber Montana 270.

But I don’t think that’s the motivation behind this.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by borden811
Thanks for the feedback guys. To answer a few questions:

I plan on hunting deer in PA with it(unique situation in the places I normally hunt where I can shoot pretty much as far as I can see, but wouldn’t plan on shooting over 600 yards). Also woukd use it out west(Montana, Wyoming, etc. for mule deer and elk).

Rifle weight versus recoil isn’t a concern. I currently have/shoot a 5lb 15oz 7mm-08 with 150s at 2850fps, a 6lb 12oz 6.5 Wby RPM with 140s at 3000fps, a 7lb 3oz 350 Rem Mag with 225s at 2700fps, a 7lb 15oz 7mm wsm with 160s at 3020fps, and an 8lb 10oz 300 RUM with 200s at 3150fps.

The brown precision stock I have currently weighs 24oz, and according to a few rough measurements, there’s enough room in the barrel channel to fit a proof research in it that’s the same dimensions as the one on my 7mm wsm, with a little bit of material removal(so maybe lose a couple oz there).

It’s all just an idea at this point. The pre 64 that I plan on using for the build is nothing more than a shooter grade rifle at best(sights removed eand rear dovetail filled and blended with barrel contour, reblued, bottom metal worn shiny, etc. No collector value whatsoever, so figured I would do something interesting with it.

Sounds like a great idea to me. However, how much does this barrel weigh? Someone here said those barrels are heavier than a factory featherweight barrel. If that is true, maybe find one of those or go with something like BobinNH used to like to use. A Brux #1 I believe is what he said he would use if he absolutely needed to go with an aftermarket barrel. He also admitted that he wouldn't change one out unless he absolutely had to because the factory fwt barrels shot so well. My plain jane 1956 FWT 30-06 weighs 6.5 pounds in its factory stock. In a Brown PoundR, the weight would go down more. The rifle I pictured earlier is my 338wm and I do not want it any lighter. I also have a 300WBY in a Brown PoundR at the same weight. Again, I would NOT want it any lighter. As they are now, they are very manageable. Something to keep in mind when you go lighter. The cartridge you choose will make a difference. Just like a Tikka lightweight rifle, I don't want anything bigger than a 30-06 in that platform. Good luck with your build and keep us posted.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by greydog
Things you can do to lighten a Model 70 (we'll assume a post-64 short action since we are going for light).
1. You can modify the tang to a pre-war style.
2. You can thin the recoil lug (leave a ridge in the center for stiffness and strength).
3. On the post-64, the magazine box forms the feed rails so the mag well does not have to be so deep. You can remove an eighth inch.
4. You can scallop the left side of the receiver ( like a BRNO ZKK)
5. You can turn the flat off the bottom of the receiver ring. While I'm not real big on this mod, it is doable.
6. You can replace the mag follower with an aluminum one.
7.Use pre-64 featherweight bottom metal (you have to shorten the floorplate)
8.Hollow the bolt handle and knob.
9. Ditch the middle screw.
With all of these mods, you will end up at a weight about the same as a 700.
As for the rest of the rifle, the formula is pretty standard fare. Skinny barrel. Lightweight stock. Lightweight pad. Don't add a bipod or a 2 pound scope. For light weight scope mounts, the old standard Weavers are pretty effective. GD

He has a pre 64 and asking about a pre 64, not a post 64..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well, crap. I missed the re-64 part of the op's post. With a pre-64, I would reshape the tang to pre-war specs, thin the left receiver wall, and hollow the bolt handle, if it is not already hollowed. I would thin the recoil lug. I would replace the bottom metal with fwt metal. I would not trim the mag well or turn the ring. The rest stands. GD

Last edited by greydog; 11/11/22.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Lie. Tell everyone it weighs 6 lbs with scope and shoots 1/2" groups at 200 yards.

Best answer yet!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Maybe a dissident voice...

To me the ultimate FUNCTIONAL Lwt is the ergonomics as comfortable fitting and compromise with just how bad recoil and muzzle blast I'm willing to tolerate. Those Remington Model 700 Titanium rifles, ref above, were light and could be made even lighter, but the question becoming 'why'!

The real question to me is "bragging rights" versus "utility". I have a few rifles that are simply uncomfortable to shoot. My more than sufficiently heavy .458 Win & .416 Rem rifles. Heavy recoil but decent stocks & no pretense of LWT. My .450 Marlin Guide Gun is a bugger & not comfortable!
Your own body geometry and 'tolerance' factors.

I have a 'lot' of rifles! But for lwt fun guns, below my favorite. Under 7lbs, 8x57 & comfortable no nonsense gun! Oh ya, I only have a 'C' Note invested! smile Also with a 1903 Steyr MS probably lightest but the 6.5x54 ammo, Walmart says temporarily O/S! Not $$ practical shooter!

I enjoy the talk about LW guns, but they have to make sense as maybe shooting a 40 rounds of ammo on outing & not needing all your filings replaced! smile smile smile

Just my 'non-techie' take!
Best!
John

Attached Images
R195-3.jpg (21.35 KB, 367 downloads)
R195-11.jpg (14.23 KB, 370 downloads)
R195-7U.jpg (22.33 KB, 369 downloads)
R195-9.jpg (14.88 KB, 369 downloads)
R195-12U.jpg (18.73 KB, 369 downloads)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra
Maybe a dissident voice...

To me the ultimate FUNCTIONAL Lwt is the ergonomics as comfortable fitting and compromise with just how bad recoil and muzzle blast I'm willing to tolerate. Those Remington Model 700 Titanium rifles, ref above, were light and could be made even lighter, but the question becoming 'why'!

The real question to me is "bragging rights" versus "utility". I have a few rifles that are simply uncomfortable to shoot. My more than sufficiently heavy .458 Win & .416 Rem rifles. Heavy recoil but decent stocks & no pretense of LWT. My .450 Marlin Guide Gun is a bugger & not comfortable!
Your own body geometry and 'tolerance' factors.

I have a 'lot' of rifles! But for lwt fun guns, below my favorite. Under 7lbs, 8x57 & comfortable no nonsense gun! Oh ya, I only have a 'C' Note invested! smile Also with a 1903 Steyr MS probably lightest but the 6.5x54 ammo, Walmart says temporarily O/S! Not $$ practical shooter!

I enjoy the talk about LW guns, but they have to make sense as maybe shooting a 40 rounds of ammo on outing & not needing all your filings replaced! smile smile smile

Just my 'non-techie' take!
Best!
John

Good post John. That is what I was alluding to in my last post as well. I certainly agree with you on this. The last time I took my light 300wby out, I fired off 46 rounds I think and that was enough for me. I didn't even want to shoot the 223 after that. Shooting a 7 pound 300WBY gives me a damn headache, I don't care how it's stocked!!! ha ha.. Now, if it were a 243 or 257 Roberts, I wouldn't mind if it were 6 pounds. But it would have to be very balanced. Balance and how it carries and handles in the field are more important than super lightweight IMHO...

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
The simplest thing to do is sell the brown and pre 64 barreled action and grab a Kimber Montana 270.

+1

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have built a few fairly light Model 70's but a light Model 70 is usually around 7.5 pounds, all-up. You work pretty hard to lose another 1/4 pound.
I consider the carbon wrapped barrels to be a bit of a gimmick. GD

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You CLUELESS Drooling Fhuqktards are a HOOT! Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Shouldn't you be out throwing your rifle at a fish or something?

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

I had a Montana in 280ai, but my brother wanted it more than I did, so it lives with him now. For a factory option, and for my wants and needs, the Montanas can’t be beat. I’ve got 3 of them, and had 3 others that I’ve let go, just because they were duplicate calibers, and the other guns in like calibers had more sentimental value.

I’m not looking for the lightest rifle possible, I’ve got ones in the safe I’d never come close to, weight wise, with a model 70, and I know that. I’ve just always wanted a custom on a pre 64 70 action, and I like lighter rifles. I’m just looking for feedback on real world lightness, without shaving every possible minuscule oz. and throwing tons of money at it. Already have the action, stock, factory featherweight bottom metal. So just trying to brainstorm with the help of the fire, and see what is realistically possible.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
6 3/8 bare with your brown, action, fw bm, and a fw contour at 22.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
6 3/8 bare with your brown, action, fw bm, and a fw contour at 22.

That would work out quite nicely.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
280 Remington, 6 digit classic featherweight with factory barrel.

McMillan "Bridges" Edge, 13 7/8" LOP

All metal cerrakoted, PT&G Oberndorf LW bottom metal.

6lb, 6oz.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Lex makes an excellent rifle.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Ask Lex Webernick at Rifles, Inc.

There's one pictured there at 5 3/4 lbs.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1OntarioJim, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,912
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.