Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Removal of prostate is major surgery and likely not in the recommended therapy as an elective for an 80 year old. Recovery from this surgery in not in comparison to recovery from a biopsy. Experience tells me so.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Smoke, Thanks for your reply. I know the potential side effects from removing it but if it starts to worry you or become an issue I’d get it gone. Years ago my mom had breast cancer and that provided my wife and I the opportunity to discuss how we might approach a similar situation. I’d immediately work to preserve life and longevity without concern for “looks”. A mastectomy can be a tremendous blow to a woman’s confidence because of the implications regarding body image and can compel one to take unnecessary chances.

I was told years ago by Dr. Copass of Medic 1 fame that all men would eventually get prostate cancer if they lived long enough. Growing old ain’t for wussy’s….😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mfast
Removal of prostate is major surgery and likely not in the recommended therapy as an elective for an 80 year old. Recovery from this surgery in not in comparison to recovery from a biopsy. Experience tells me so.

Interesting….thanks.

I’ve known guys that had their prostate removed and I don’t recall thinking it was very involved. They were in and out and recovering in short order is my memory serves…

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Smoke, Thanks for your reply. I know the potential side effects from removing it but if it starts to worry you or become an issue I’d get it gone. Years ago my mom had breast cancer and that provided my wife and I the opportunity to discuss how we might approach a similar situation. I’d immediately work to preserve life and longevity without concern for “looks”. A mastectomy can be a tremendous blow to a woman’s confidence because of the implications regarding body image and can compel one to take unnecessary chances.

I was told years ago by Dr. Copass of Medic 1 fame that all men would eventually get prostate cancer if they lived long enough. Growing old ain’t for wussy’s….😁

You're welcome. Here's how I look at it. When the guy who makes his living treating or removing prostate is not recommending either, then it's a good bet you don't need it. Kind of like the barber telling you that you don't need a haircut

Maybe I'm just cynical.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RJL53
Who has had one done and have anything to share?

Yeah.

Make sure they allow time enough for the anesthetic to take effect.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having a prostate biopsy done is like someone shoving one of those stand-up dandelion weeder tools shoved up your butt and taking little bites out of your insides.

I joked with the nurse before the biopsy that I once fell asleep during a root canal. She looked me right square in the eye and said, "You won't sleep through this."

It saved my life.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RJL53
Who has had one done and have anything to share?
Had three done so far, no big deal. Follow your Doctors instructions and take the antibiotic. He's going to poke a needle hole through your colon to access the prostate.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My best friend had it done i think they got around 30 samples.

Found cancer on half and he did the radioactive pill implant.

He said he was uncomfortable for a few days.

They did give him some of the good stuff when doing both operations.

So far he has gotten a clean bill of health but he does get tested every few months.

He is 70.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
No big deal my petute. I cringe just thinking about it, but maybe I’m just a wimp? Bottom line is I had my prostate removed at age 50 and been cancer free for the past 20 years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is the reason for not using general anesthesia for this procedure?

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Because local is good enough.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Get the MRI first. I went to biopsies r us and balked at the flippant attitude. A second opinion did MRI and found there were zero pirads to test.
We hear everything from remival with no affect to diapers and peeing blood. I am not willing to chance blind probes without better diagnosis than PSA measured by different people on different standards.

Last edited by kennyd; 11/14/22.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Frankly, it's like being butt-raped by a gorilla. A gorilla who is a sex-addict.

I pissed and shat blood for a week ... and hurt for waaay longer than that.

Honestly, it really hurt my little guy.

The good news is that all of my samples came out total negative.

Watch out for infection. Hillybilly Bear, may he eternally Rest In Peace, told me that a close relative of his got a severe infection from having the procedure. After having the prostate biopsy, I can easily see how that would happen.

Still ... having the procedure beats the Hell out of getting cancer of the prostate.

Blessings,

Steve

A gorilla with a staple gun😳🦍

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by kennyd
Get the MRI first. I went to biopsies r us and balked at the flippant attitude. A second opinion did MRI and found there were zero pirads to test.
We hear everything from remival with no affect to diapers and peeing blood. I am not willing to chance blind probes without better diagnosis than PSA measured by different people on different standards.

Five years ago when I started this journey, the standard for insurances was one negative transrectal biopsy before they would authorize an MRI fusion guided biopsy. There was somewhat of a movement to bypass the trans-rectal biopsy and just start with the MRI guided biopsy..I hope it succeeds.

Last edited by navlav8r; 11/14/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I can’t believe I’m at an age where I’d ever click on a thread about prostates. 😂

The experiences and suggestions given here by intelligent men that have had or are currently dealing with prostate issues can be of immeasurable value to some members here or even lurkers…so thanks guys. 👍

Smoke….I like your analogy to the barber and agree with your assessment.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
One more thing to look forward too. I should probably be getting psa's done around now. I'll ask my Dr about it next week.

The first surgery I ever assisted in was a total radical abdominal prostatectomy. Didn't look at all fun for the guy on the table and it's a bit tricky getting everything back in the right place. The surgeon was asking me how I was doing with all the blood. I said I'm ok I hunt. He said gutting something is easy it's being able to put them back it that earns us the big money. It was not minimally invasive back then.

Good info and reminder though. Time to start a PSA chart.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
One more thing to look forward too. I should probably be getting psa's done around now. I'll ask my Dr about it next week.

I got red flagged for a higher PSA level after a blood test during a routine blood test to switch mortgage insurance carriers.

The subsequent physical and ultrasonic exams showed a negative for prostate cancer. It was the biopsy that finally gave the true results.

All men over 50 should be tested on a regular basis.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My experience was starkly different then most here. It was horrible. Every time that gun went "Bang", I almost ripped the bars off the bed. Sad part is I never should have had the biopsy done in the first place. It was done because of some bad doctoring.

I am 53 and a month ago, I developed Prostatitus. Jesus what a miserable experience. Constant urge to piss. You go piss and by the time you lay back down, you feel like you are about to burst again. Doc gave me some antibiotics and Flomax. After 2 doses of antibiotics, I pissed blood for a day and was back to normal. I still take the Flomax to ensure I never get it again. Doc said you somehow strain your prostate and then you can't empty your bladder and that causes the infection.

-Piss into the wind.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 300_savage, 35 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,235
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.