-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of my best hunts are predator calling trips with my dad and my son. Around here after the general firearms deer season ends the woods are empty. At that time in the big woods I hunt I can walk all day across the country and never hear a man made sound. The winter weather is cold and crisp, the woods bare and silent. And then you start the squalling and crying... the sound and sight of a coyote running through the dry leaves charging in to ambush the hapless critter it hears in trouble or the sight of a bobcat slipping in through the snow are sights only a few dedicated predator hunters know. Makes for some special memories.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nice!

It's getting about that time!

One day I'd like to call in and shoot my first coyote! grin

With an Air gun!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by scrooster
Nice goin' but ... I don't see how y'all can stand there holding those yotes without a scarf over your nose and mouth. Stinkinest' animals this side of hell around here. I have to sanitize and disinfect the back of the truck everytime we toss a few back there to collect pelt bounties.

Y'all must have those boutique yotes out there ... those smell-good yotes. I've gotten where I take nitrite gloves to even work'em after we down'em, they stink so bad, I don't want my hands or leather gloves polluted.

LOL ! ! !

Shot a nice plush fall yote hear on the farm 20 years ago. Put in the freezer. Stopped by the one active local taxidermist. Asked him how much for a full mount m? And lead time?

His response was that he would take it in. Put it in the bottom of the freezer. And after he had finished every other mount, he would think about starting on the yote…

While I was looking for another taxidermist, we had a power outage and the freezer started to defrost. Decided to pull the yote out and do a DIY Euro mount. Got the skull skinned out and put it on the side burner of the grill to boil. Had to add water to the pot several times. About puked every time I got close enough to add water.

I did eventually get the skull boiled clean. However fully understood why the taxidermist did not want to deal with a dead yote.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've never considered them to be overly obnoxious unless you pop the guts while skinning but with case skinning it's never much of an issue.
I think cold weather might help too.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've never considered them to be overly obnoxious unless you pop the guts while skinning but with case skinning it's never much of an issue.
I big bullet hole through the digestive cavity could certainly increase stinkage.
I think cold weather might help control stink too.

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'd like to give it a try, too.

Maybe get someone to show me the ropes, give advice on rifle calibers, bullets, etc.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Maybe get someone to show me the ropes, give advice on rifle calibers, bullets, etc.

Ed

New predator hunters always get hung up on the wrong things. The caliber, rifle, camo, calls/caller, ect. don't matter all that much. What does matter is finding predators and learning how to make a stand with the wind direction as a factor that sets the responding predator up in a situation where you can actually kill it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It is indeed that time of year. Just sucks that the fur market is in the tank and gas prices high. Going to cost me to hunt em, but I guess we've been spoiled the last several years but probably fewer guys out calling with things like they are. Someone gotta do it....might as well be me.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC

Ed

New predator hunters always get hung up on the wrong things. The caliber, rifle, camo, calls/caller, ect. don't matter all that much. What does matter is finding predators and learning how to make a stand with the wind direction as a factor that sets the responding predator up in a situation where you can actually kill it.

Absolutely 💯

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The cougar hunting at Dad's Lounge on Murfreesboro Road used to be pretty good- - - - -haven't tried it out lately!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I'd be interested if a few of them came in every stand and stood broadside so i could shoot them.

Why do you need them to stand broadside? Worried about ruining meat? Frontal shot, up the ass hole, quartering to or away, its all the same. Its a coyote. Just let the lead fly

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
C'mon down!!!

My 220's must be brutal, then!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just for the record, it's "Wile E. Coyote".

Spelling Nazi

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ElAhrairah
I'd be interested if a few of them came in every stand and stood broadside so i could shoot them.

Why do you need them to stand broadside? Worried about ruining meat? Frontal shot, up the ass hole, quartering to or away, its all the same. Its a coyote. Just let the lead fly

I think some very accomplished callers are pulling some legs in this thread. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by ElAhrairah

I think some very accomplished callers are pulling some legs in this thread. wink

Must be Ed.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ed

Ed;
Good afternoon my old friend, I trust that other than needing something new to hunt and be shown how to do it that you're all well.

In all seriousness, I'm sure that our journey back in the day wasn't that unusual in that there was no ether webs and only the occasional magazine article. While I guess calls were "a thing" stateside in some areas, we - a hunting partner and I - were considered at minimum half a bubble off plumb for wanting to do that. I mean everyone else just drove around in their pickup and shot them, so what was our issue? laugh

There might have been snow camo to buy too, but if there was it was beyond our budget in those days of the late '80's as all our "extra" money was going to interest payments on the houses we'd both bought. Remember 15% - 19% interest back when? I know you do my friend. We made our own snow camo and began to learn to speak coyote by much trial and even more error. Frequent error as I recall now Ed...

Anyways in the fullness of time, we decided that .270's and .308 Norma Mags weren't the best coyote rigs because Harry the local trapper didn't like to give us anything for them with the holes which resulted.

Somehow along the way we'd become further ahead on the house payments as buddy got a B78 in .25-06 and being me I put together a .22-250AI on one of the Mauser actions in the safe. By the way, while it did work and still does, I heartily DO NOT recommend anyone build a .22-250AI on a 98 action unless they're looking to learn patience and learn it quickly so to speak. wink

Here's what a really young me looked like with said homemade snow camo and reworked 98 in a much modified Model 70 stock but it's got a Douglas Premium Air Gauge Match barrel on it! From the good folks at IT&D in Ohio no less, back when Canucks could order such subversive items across the medicine line and no one thought we were attempting some sort of coup.

[Linked Image]

Funny too that while we did manage to shoot a bunch of dogs back then we didn't take many photos of them or us dog hunting. Likely film development costs or something like that? Again dinosaur problems I suppose.

There's a young fellow who moved in across the gully a couple years back who I've managed to talk into getting into hunting. He and I went out a couple times last winter calling, which was a first for me for at least a decade and my goodness was it ever fun to get out again.

All the best to you all down south Ed and good luck on your remaining hunts, coyote and otherwise.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 11/16/22. Reason: better wording?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dwayne,
It's always a blessing to hear from you.

I have to confess, I AM pulling some legs here.

Killing predators is what I do for a living now. I only took 210 of them last year, so I figured I'd play ignorant (really not playing... :D) and see what I could learn from some of the experts here.

I never stop learning, and even the rankest rookie can teach us "old guys" something. There is no shortage of coyotes around here to practice on, either.

I wish I could post pictures of my work, but there are certain restrictions with my employers, so I honor them and just keep the memories.

I hope all is well with you and yours. I'm happier and healthier than I've been in forty years (or more) and loving life.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Dewd you & that son of yours sure know how to get after it I’m always impressed nice work

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ed;
Thanks so much for the reply, I appreciate it.

For myself as well the reply is a blessing, so thanks for that and the kind words too.

I want to say I knew you were more than a wee bit serious about predator hunting, but might have misplaced in the memory banks that was what you were doing for a living. Well done! cool

I've lost all track of the people who might buy hides now - if that's still a thing even I can't say Ed.

My trapper buddies Harry, Willy and Stan are all gone now, but last we heard up here Okanagan coyotes were barely worth the time to skin and stretch them.

I'm so glad to hear you're doing so well, that's nothing short of wonderful news.

All the best to you all once more.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 11/16/22. Reason: better wording?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to call dogs quite a bit in Idaho and Wyoming. It is a lot of fun.

I got more involved with trapping cats and haven’t called for a few years. I should change that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 160user, 257robertsimp, 23 invisible), 1,813 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,154
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.