Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Morewood
B) "spend a buck fifty and at a convenience station (they will often let paying customers use air for free) - and set the pressure to desired"

One of the few things California does right. Free air at filling stations. They can't make you pay for it.
- yet. But SHHHHHHH! Don't be reminding Newsom that something's FREE in CA., because he'll then figger out a nice, hefty TAX to put on it....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Seafire - good call out on parents. Did exact same thing years back- Volvo for wife when she drove kids. Interesting cars with some neat features like super easy to change light bulbs....that were unfortunately always needing to be changed. Superb seats.

I learned a lot of construction from Dad but he knew nothing about cars. When my first car stalled his laborer looked at it and pulled the most fouled plug you ever saw. I learned that day what a plug did and how to change it. Then I changed them all the time - like it was needed. Few years later made friends with a guy who had an Austin Mini and a book called "How to Modify You Mini" and can't tell you how many times we pulled that sewing machine engine and rebuilt it. Taught a few others how easy brakes pads were to swap out. A good friend now even manufacturers his own parts. I have no such skill level but he can talk to me in depth and is glad for the audience who understands him.

Fun mom story. When my car wouldn't start Mom told me I needed a new battery. Marlin showed me the fouled plug and I changed them out and the car ran great. About a year later I needed a new battery and Mom was adamant I should have changed it out when she told me to - but I just don't listen.

Last edited by kenjs1; 11/16/22.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
They also get a good look at tires and brake rotors while checking tire pressures.

Probably talked a lot of people into some paying business that day.
I was in a Les Schwab store in Fallon NV last year getting a tire replaced..."free tire pressure checks"...single lady pulls up in a motor home, requests tire pressure check...in 15 min time that motor home was on the jacks and six new tires sitting by the tire machine. I imagine her free tire pressure check ran around 1,500 bucks. I looked at her takeoff tires, I'd estimate she had another 10,000 mi left in legal tread.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I tend to abide by

Don’t buy or involve yourself with anything youre too stupid to work on yourself.

Schmucks buying 80,000 pickup truck and then getting ass raped at the dealership paying $1300 for replace a power window motor. “

“Waaahhhh, I’m old and fat and didn’t know I could fix it myself for $90 part from Ebay and a 30 minute youtube tutorial….that’s because waaahhhh I’m too scare to take my AdBlocker off to open Youtube”
“Waahhhh, I don’t know how Ebay works and something something George Soros, about Paypal, waahhhh”
JFC

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
They also get a good look at tires and brake rotors while checking tire pressures.

Probably talked a lot of people into some paying business that day.
I was in a Les Schwab store in Fallon NV last year getting a tire replaced..."free tire pressure checks"...single lady pulls up in a motor home, requests tire pressure check...in 15 min time that motor home was on the jacks and six new tires sitting by the tire machine. I imagine her free tire pressure check ran around 1,500 bucks. I looked at her takeoff tires, I'd estimate she had another 10,000 mi left in legal tread.

Which is the reason they have ‘free’ air checks, brake checks, etc.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who pays for air?

Get yourself to a Kwik Trip and bum their air, grab yourself a roller bite and a 40 after. Wins all around.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
If you dont know how to check the air pressure on your tires, you probably shouldnt be driving. Really. Doesnt take a mechanically inclined person to do that.
Air is free at every gas station ive been to. But unfortunately around here, almost every one has had the end of their air hoses cut off from tweekers, repeatedly, and some have stopped replacing them. Twice now ive needed air and had to stop at 4 or 5 gas stations to find one functional. So i said screw it and just keep a small air compressor under my back seat now, hooks up to the battery. Havent had occasion to use it yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B) "spend a buck fifty and at a convenience station (they will often let paying customers use air for free) - and set the pressure to desired"

One of the few things California does right. Free air at filling stations. They can't make you pay for it.
You're paying for it. Look at that little price sign out by the road. Even if they are .01 higher on petro that's covering the compressor, hose and maintenance on that system.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I stopped at Discount Tire twice recently for their free air check as I had a slow leak, mine was DIY and I was in and out in about a minute, pump preset to 35 psi. Had the tire patched for free Monday and the tires came with the truck, didn't buy them there but I have been DT customer for about 20 years, including my three sons vehicles. I did have to drag out the compressor Monday morning as the tire was at 16 and wouldn't drive on it that way. I went hunting Sunday morning and about halfway to my destination, I got a notice that my tire was under inflated, couldn't find air to save my life at 5 AM!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pard of mine owns a car wash. Had free air for about the first 3 or 4 years. Nobody would roll the hose up, leave it wherever on the ground, run over it and anything else you could think of.

Now he charges either .25 or .50 and has a lot less issues.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I stopped at Discount Tire twice recently for their free air check as I had a slow leak, mine was DIY and I was in and out in about a minute, pump preset to 35 psi. Had the tire patched for free Monday and the tires came with the truck, didn't buy them there but I have been DT customer for about 20 years, including my three sons vehicles. I did have to drag out the compressor Monday morning as the tire was at 16 and wouldn't drive on it that way. I went hunting Sunday morning and about halfway to my destination, I got a notice that my tire was under inflated, couldn't find air to save my life at 5 AM!
https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-18-Vol...;hvtargid=pla-4584482468345017&psc=1

They work. Other brands as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Knew a person who was told there was summer air and winter air for tires, they went to the shop and asked them to swap out the air. Ohh well.
For the unknowing (read ignorant) there is summer air and winter air. It was mentioned that in the cooler months the pressure goes down because of the cold pavement and colder outside air temperatures. It just doesn't require the complete draining and refilling. But, hey, if we can get some suckers in the door and get a good laugh out of it all, why not ??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

That looks interesting. I have a couple that work off the car’s electrical system but this might be better for the atv.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r

That looks interesting. I have a couple that work off the car’s electrical system but this might be better for the atv.
Same same - and looks like a good Christmas gift idea for some I know.

I have seen them before but this was a perfect reminder - thanks.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I use DT all of the time to check/fill my tires. Never had to wait in a line though.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by kenjs1
I wanted some new all terrains for the pickup since the rears are about out. Fronts look almost new but I am silly and OCD on tires so I got four new ones.

Just curious but why are your rears wearing out so much faster than the fronts? Do you rotate your tires?
Rooster I don't have a solid answer for you because my Dad bought the truck used about a year ago and hardly drove it over the next 6 months. He gifted it to me just before passing away in Spring. Wife thinks he bought 4wd with me in mind - Bless him.

I have about 40k miles on it. Fronts look new so I don't know if prior owner bought two new and rotated these or whatever but it kind of looks that way.

Bought 4 new and even road hazard so plan to rotate- which is something I was not previously good about.

Now....for all those who desperately want to know but don't want to be THAT guy and ask.....

TIRE TALK ---

Originals were Hankook Dynapro AT2. I sold the two good ones to DT for $50each to help pay for road hazard on the new ones- Yokohama Geolander G015. These have the bit higher load factor I wanted without having to go to an LT- and weighed about the same as originals so they check all boxes for me. Nothin wrong with the Dynapros other than wear. Silly part of me wishes the Yoko's looked more macho but glad to have confidence after hair raising experience in high rains last time out.

. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Automotive technology has dumbed "drivers" down to a dangerously low level. I'm not surprised that some of them would expect others to perform this simple check for them.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Oh, drivers are paying for it one way or another.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by renegade50
You might or might not be surprised at the amount of people that dont honestly know how to air up a tire in this day and age.

Among all other simple task they have never done in their sheltered existence....

It really is pathetic...
Parents are mostly to blame for it also...

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

^^^This^^^

Most of the little brats wouldn’t know what the valve stem is if you told them. Much less know how to check the oil level in their engine. They’re the Participation Trophy Generation. As were most of their dumbass parents. 🤪

This is one of the reasons manufacturers are eliminating transmission and engine dipsticks.

-Ken

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My $.02; if you're going to get a portable compressor, might as well marry it with a portable jump starter. Not a lot more coin to have a combo that serves dual duty.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 44 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,004
Posts18,520,527
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.