Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tedthorn
BTW.....

Request the chair that works your shoulder for your home.

It's a gamechanger
I will do that Sir, thanks

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fester
Tore my ac joint a few years ago.
It hurt. A few days with rest and some meds, which I don’t like, helped a bit. 😝

AC joint hurt like a mofo. Are you sure you didn’t break your clavicle?
MRI didn't show any damage to the clavicle.
The MRI of the right shoulder showed tearing of the rotator cuff, notable damage
to the ligaments of the shoulder joint itself, tear in the labram, and some swelling in the joint.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I had similar surgery in 2004. Tears repaired, rotator cuff cleaned up, bone spurs removed and the biceps tendon repaired.The pain was fairly constant for about three weeks. My doc told me to move the shoulder as much as I could tolerate and not to let it stay immobilized. She said it had to do with the tendon repair. I used the pain pills to make the moving tolerable. She first gave me Percocet, which I liked too much and asked her to take me off it. She then gave me Vicodin. Made you puke. You do NOT want to puke with your shoulder the way it is. She then gave me darvocet which was a good balance. She started me on PT very quickly. After three weeks, it was a dull ache. After two months I had most of my range of motion and very little pain except when it was cold and rainy. Now, I can raise my arm over my head by rotating it, but if I try to raise my arm with it out to the side and my palm up. It stops at horizontal. Bad news is 18 years later, it hurts again, mostly due to arthritis. Not sure if it’s worth it or even possible to get it redone.

Old70

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
48 years since my rotator cuff repair. Still hurts - mostly at night. For many the loss of range of motion is also permanent (depending on how hard you work to get it back).

Still, surgery beats the hell out of having the shoulder continually dislocate.

When young you think you get hurt, you get fixed and then you live happily ever after. Truth is that you cannot do major damage to bone or muscle and get away with it in the long run... these things have a way of revisiting you over time. Given the chance I would ski, climb and do all the fun stuff all over again but, maybe, a bit more carefully.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Pat, I have had 5 major shoulder surgeries. They flat out suck. Recovery and pain subsidence has a lot of variables, so one persons experience won't necessarily be like yours. For me the window for the white hot burning pain ranged from 1-3 days. Discomfort will stay with you for weeks. A recliner provides for the very best position of comfort. I slept in mine following each of my surgeries for anywhere from a week to 3 weeks.

On my shoulder surgeries,I tried to NOT take the oxy - kinda ticked the doc off, but I hate drugs.
I hurt pretty bad for a week or more, but slept on our couch with recliners on both ends - right side for left shoulder, and vice-versa. Stacked blankets and towels to a suitable depth.
Only way I could sleep.
After ~ a week or so, the pain gradually improved.
I got a nerve block with the first one (the left) - never again! Nerve blocks make me mean, darned wonder "The Warden" didn't put me out of her misery that time! And, I lost 2 days completely, and parts of a few more - gone to in-and-out.
Without the block, I came to 4 1/2 hours after entering surgery, completely awake and lucid.
Worst part of the whole thing, for me, was trying to sleep - with limited success. IIRC, I slept on the couch for around 2 months, each time.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My son had labrum tear repaired due to a high school football injury. I had a similar meniscus tear repair done on my knee 11 years ago. What I learned is that some people simply recover faster than others but there are some predictors.

The younger you are, and the better shape you're in at the time of the surgery means you recover faster.

The skill of the surgeon matters.

The skill of the therapist and how hard you work in rehab will make a difference.

Other than that luck and your genetics are going to determine how long it takes.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by MPat70
Originally Posted by fester
Tore my ac joint a few years ago.
It hurt. A few days with rest and some meds, which I don’t like, helped a bit. 😝

AC joint hurt like a mofo. Are you sure you didn’t break your clavicle?
MRI didn't show any damage to the clavicle.
The MRI of the right shoulder showed tearing of the rotator cuff, notable damage
to the ligaments of the shoulder joint itself, tear in the labram, and some swelling in the joint.
Well good luck with that! Lol
I was is the same boat but my ac and labrum
was/is hurt. I was lucky, I think, to get away without
breaking my clavicle or arm.
You’re due for rehab. Sound fun? 😝
Seriously, it’s a sucky injury and one you will
probably notice for a few years.
Get use to it my friend.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Best of luck with it.

Lots of good info so far. Maybe ask your doc if you can take 1.5x the dose prescribed as the script one doesn't seem to be helping. I wouldn't double up on the tylenol though, that stuff will screw with your liver.

Both mine have been done, both with involvement of the biceps tendon and significant arthritic lesions. They weren't fun. Good sports medicine surgeons for big school programs helped I'm sure.

If they're still available, as I know they've cut back on prescribing, take the meds 20 minutes or so before your first PT sessions. (just wait, those are SO much fun)

Recliner for sure, might even be better than that bed if you have one available.

again, good luck

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Tylenol WILL seriously mess with your liver enzymes BTDT using Tylenol Arthritis Strength 650mg. only when pain was bad. DO NOT increase Tylenol dosage !

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Tylenol WILL seriously mess with your liver enzymes BTDT using Tylenol Arthritis Strength 650mg. only when pain was bad. DO NOT increase Tylenol dosage !

True, but a person needs to read the directions on the container. Two 500 mg capsules every 6 hours, not over 400 mg in a 24 hour period. BTDT

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Were you prescribed an ice water machine, that circulates ice water through a flexible rubber pad that forms around your shoulder? Mine worked excellent to dull that strong pain. Works better than ice packs, which can freeze your skin.
They are available at medical supply stores and online.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,149 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,776
Posts18,495,801
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.