Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MPat70
Disclaimer: unfortunately this is not my kill 😭 but I sure wish it were. Most people I know just grind it all up.

WOW really? I cannot Imagine grinding up an entire deer and losing all of the excellent roasts and steaks you get from the backstraps, and hindquarters!

Personally, I only grind the front shoulders and have my 3rd generation "Sausage Maker" make my Jalapeño Cheddar Cheese Smokies and Hot Italian Sausages. The tenderloins are BBQ'ed the day I get home.

KB

KB

GB1

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Very nice, but that's an awful lot of meat for what appears to be a small deer. I'm going by the rack and head size, but I could be wrong.....just ask my wife.
150# so should yield 60# give or take.

Also a pile if bones laying in back to right of burger. Burger looks to have fat added as well so some bulk there.

Never understood why people add fat to their burger. Not telling how old that fat is if they use a processor and pork fat goes rancid quick, fast and in a hurry.
Have you ever shot a rank Mule deer? If yes, then you would understand adding fat.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 673
Very nice, but that's an awful lot of meat for what appears to be a small deer. I'm going by the rack and head size, but I could be wrong.....just ask my wife.
150# so should yield 60# give or take.

Also a pile if bones laying in back to right of burger. Burger looks to have fat added as well so some bulk there.

Never understood why people add fat to their burger. Not telling how old that fat is if they use a processor and pork fat goes rancid quick, fast and in a hurry.
Have you ever shot a rank Mule deer? If yes, then you would understand adding fat.
No I haven't, shot a few rank whitetail bucks. Only fat added is for summer sausage and that isn't added until we grind for sausage.

I try to hang em as long as possible to let the stink blow out of em.

This year's buck hung for 9 days.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/24/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
I was just going to say the same thing

Looks like two deers worth of meat.

I'd have to agree...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I was just going to say the same thing

Looks like two deers worth of meat.

At least

^^^ Agree ^^^

Just as an aside, when a commercial processor is used, the meat you get back (especially the ground meat), may or may not be all from your deer, or a mix or yours and someone else's, or all someone else's deer.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Backstrap, tenderloin, hams (round steak) and rump gets steaked. No bone in anything.

Neck, shanks, shoulders, and trim meat off the steaks gets ground, without fat.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Exactly!!!

Pork fat is the worst, goes rancid fast! I only use Fresh Beef Fat I get from a local butcher in my sausages, tastes way better, does not go rancid like pig does and therefor does not change the flavor like pig does!

KB

KB

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Either way ,very cool pic.

Lots of good eats on that table.

Last edited by rong; 11/24/22.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Sort it out by cuts and that is a deer's worth, with the possible exception of the ground - fat added perhaps. Bigger than 150, or camera distortion? I'm used to whacking bigger things than runty little deer so I could be mistaken. smile

From the left- burger from fronts, ribs, misc., and stew ( I'd have more stew - crock pot makes tougher pieces tender, and I love stew)

Steaks and roasts from the rump

bones and neck/shoulder meat

backstrap

tenderloins

misc. steak- probably from front shoulders
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Shooting male animals deep in rut and/or through the shoulders...... well you get what you ask for.

An observation from experience , not a criticism. I don't do that anymore - at least the rut part. And not the front shoulders unless need be or an oopsie. I prefer at the back edge of the shoulder or a head/neck shot if I can get it.

But then I'm not hunting next to property lines and seldom right at dusk. Milages vary.

I never add fat to wild meat I process. If needed, olive oil or, preferably, butter when cooking (fug chloresteral- I have way more good than bad anyway. smile. ).

If taking it in for sausage, etc. I specify the least amount of fat added they will let me get away with - usually 10-15 % -apparently it aids in the grinding, or stuffing, or something, and they insist. Or maybe it's just for their bottom line.

Where else can one sell a waste product for profit?

Last edited by las; 11/24/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by MPat70
Disclaimer: unfortunately this is not my kill 😭 but I sure wish it were. Most people I know just grind it all up.

WOW really? I cannot Imagine grinding up an entire deer and losing all of the excellent roasts and steaks you get from the backstraps, and hindquarters!

Personally, I only grind the front shoulders and have my 3rd generation "Sausage Maker" make my Jalapeño Cheddar Cheese Smokies and Hot Italian Sausages. The tenderloins are BBQ'ed the day I get home.

KB

We usually grind up a whole deer and get the steaks/roast from the other deer we are allowed to kill. In La., we are allowed to kill 6 per year. None of that 1-and-done stuff.

Last edited by Oldman03; 11/24/22. Reason: kant spel

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Exactly!!!

Pork fat is the worst, goes rancid fast! I only use Fresh Beef Fat I get from a local butcher in my sausages, tastes way better, does not go rancid like pig does and therefor does not change the flavor like pig does!

KB
Pork jowls is your friend, or not, I like beef too, never had a problem with either.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 673

Exactly!!!

KB
Pork jowls is your friend, or not, I like beef too, never had a problem with either.
Jowls is fer beans!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
40-45% typical yield.

Of course can vary from shot placement or what shot with.

Add 20% to the ground like a lot will do and that adds bulk.

Don't forget that 10# pile of bones on that table.

Looks like neck roasts tethered up in there.

Inner loins add a bit to that pic. I can see backstraps cut up and the steaks cut from roasts. Probably sliced that handful of meat from ribs.

I don't get nearly this much but I am extra picky.

Rare I save a neck but did this year, probably 8# of stew meat from that, shoulders to jaw.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 673

Exactly!!!

KB
Jowls is fer beans!

hahaha, yup! Don't mix Swine with Quality Venison only fresh AAA Red Alberta Angus Fat, finished with barley of course, if you can get it

:o)

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/24/22.

KB

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Man- I'm going to have to think hard about a Kodiak deer hunt next year! Never been, and I'm age pushing it. I have friends in the business, with a tender for camp. Sport hunting I R!

FYI - a good bull moose will have about that amount of meat just on his neck. I bone out the rib meat and make folded bbq rib "roasts" out of it. Caribou ribs get boned and ground - too little meat thickness.

Last edited by las; 11/24/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got some beef fat from Bo’ and Bob’s Deli and Transmission Repair.

One of the chunks of fat said ADIDAS stamped into it Floor sweepings. No thanks

Straight grind- never again add fat. 🤮

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I thought you boyz from TN cut your deer meat with Jack Daniels?

KB

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grind 90%. Pork mix for me, all in sausage casings. Most smoked.
I don't get that much meat as shown. Animals enjoy the trimmings.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I thought you boyz from TN cut your deer meat with Jack Daniels?

KB

Straight ruby red, no chaser

1- deer

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Another 2, ground up the backstrips on that one. Woooo Jesus wept. 🙈🤡

And….fuggggg deer steaks. Browse eatin, twig munching nasty scrub rats.

I’ll grill beef if I want steaks

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Am I the only one to notice the flag is backwards?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (007FJ, 160user, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,934
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.