Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
The only reason I would NOT go to JES is if a heavier contour was desired. He's just built too many too well for too long. And the dude calls you back on the actual phone.
And pays return postage.

DF

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
The only reason I would NOT go to JES is if a heavier contour was desired. He's just built too many too well for too long. And the dude calls you back on the actual phone.
And pays return postage.

DF

What he said-^^^^^^- does there need more to be said...... I think Not. cool

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
One consideration using JESS, no needed alteration to the stock and in my case, my Pre-64 FWT .358 still looks original (started out as a shot out .243). He didn’t change the barrel stamp, put new info on the bottom of the barrel.

For a vintage rifle like that, rebore is a good option. Try pricing an original Pre-64 .358 FWT. And mine will shoot with an original, maybe better than some. Other than the barrel stamp, one would never know the difference.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Originally Posted by windridge
Rebore a factory barrel ? What da Fk ? Fer realz ?

you spend the same $$$ to rebore a factory turd when you could have a top notch barrel made

Total B S

A JES re-bore is 1/2 the cost with a quick turn around. He does a good job, and how many shooters will ever shoot out a 358, 338, 35 Whln, 9.3X62?

There is zero logic in spending more money on a disposable tent peg factory barrel beyond original purchase price, when you can apply that cash towards a new top shelf Bartlein, Krieger, Rock Creek etc ... I've bought used & new rifles & yanked barrels off withought ever firing a single shot, smith made muzzle brakes out of a couple take-offs and I've thrown a bunch away.... some folks are far too attached to material things that are often not worth 1/4 of the money paid for them.... then spend more $$$ on 'em, SMH

Get a new barrel

So then, you have no actual experience with rebores? You also apparently lack the depth of imagination to envision a scenario where a rebore is preferable to a new barrel. Yes, by all means keep sharing your wisdom. Thanks.

I go through a couple pairs of Redwing work boots a year & never once envisioned a scenario where I imagined it would be preferable to resole them

I throw them away

Buy a pair of JK, Nicks or White's. Then when the lugs run thin, you will not be thinking so much about throwing boots away and will be thinking about getting them resoled instead. A pair of any one of those boots cost as much as a rifle, that is why getting them resoled cost about as much as JES charges to rebore a factory barrel. Nothing wrong with the end product of either one.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 02bfishn, 1minute, 63 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.