-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ladders, tripods, summit goliath, ground blind/burlap, Summit trophy chair, one has a roof and dug into a 60 degree bluff side.

About 15 different deployments on 307 acres.

Never burn a stand, don’t hunt it twice,3 times in a row. You will educate resident deer. Always have extra opportunities if winds are dicking with you. If you see deer begin to shift their goings and comings, I keep a couple spare ladder stands ditched beside the shop ready to hauled out and set up in less than 30 mins.

Keep your lanes trimmed on your set ups. February is a good month to cut chit way back.

Have something for rain, wind shifts, pattern shifts, neighbor pressure, food availabilityor other random conditions. Ground, elevated depends on the sum of all factors and conditions that day brings

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’d like to get myself one of them shootie poo tiny house things. Sliding windows, propane heat, camp chef rig

But my luck, someone would take a dump in there

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’d like to get myself one of them shootie poo tiny house things. Sliding windows, propane heat, camp chef rig

But my luck, someone would take a dump in there
Better not tell me where it is located. Nothing like a good dump in the warm and dry!!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I sat in a box this summer that some other hunter had been pizzing in the corner instead of opening the door and letting it fly.

Was very nice smelling for sure.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have one of these collapsible stools that look like a toadstool. Did a lot of comparison before settling on this one. Really works, and only weighs a couple of pounds. Hold up to 400 pounds, and you can tilt it without it dumping your fat azz.

https://www.amazon.com/Retractable-Collapsible-Telescopic-Lightweight-Adjustable/dp/B0918B499L?th=1

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the large tract of public land I sometimes hunt, I prefer one of those simple heater cushion things.
The tract is over 6000 acres and is foot travel only, mostly old growth timber. A long walk is usually the plan of the day.
The cushion is light, quiet and gives me ample mobility without a lot of hassle.

If I don't like my original spot, I simply "still hunt" to a new one. No muss, no fuss.

I gave my "Tree lounge" to my neighbor. It was all I wanted to do to carry it across the yard.

On our private land it's all 4x8 box blinds, carpeted floors and shelves, sliding windows, shooting bags, office chairs. You know, roughing it LOL.

If I never carry another climbing deer stand again it will be alright. 'm happy to just stand on the ground or sit in a blowdown.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
On the large tract of public land I sometimes hunt, I prefer one of those simple heater cushion things.
The tract is over 6000 acres and is foot travel only, mostly old growth timber. A long walk is usually the plan of the day.
The cushion is light, quiet and gives me ample mobility without a lot of hassle.

If I don't like my original spot, I simply "still hunt" to a new one. No muss, no fuss.

I gave my "Tree lounge" to my neighbor. It was all I wanted to do to carry it across the yard.

On our private land it's all 4x8 box blinds, carpeted floors and shelves, sliding windows, shooting bags, office chairs. You know, roughing it LOL.

If I never carry another climbing deer stand again it will be alright. 'm happy to just stand on the ground or sit in a blowdown.
https://thermaseat.com/product/traditional-series-therma/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thats the one!

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I gave up on treestands years ago

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555

https://thermaseat.com/product/traditional-series-therma/
I couldn’t find my 25 year old seat that I love. It’s disappeared! So this evening I bought 2 of the $5 Thermaseat cushions at Walmart and strapped them together. Should be awesome. Quiet, dry, and warm.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have always hunted elevated tree stands. Strap on's, climbers, Ladder stands, many years ago we built our own. About 18 months ago I had a bad fall. I broke both of my wrist's, hurt my neck and back as well. I'm 65 years old now, so no more tree stands for me. I hunt out of ground blinds (pop ups) or box blinds. They are productive, but I do miss being up in a tree with 360 degree visibility.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
A lot of our spots you can see better from the ground than you can in a tree. There are a few exceptions.

Pop up blinds are what we use most of the time. When we use a stand, it’s a ladder stand.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another "Shoot - House" that I built about 17-18 years ago. 4ft x 6ft and will seat two people. 3-way view, being a pipeline ROW out through the pines and 2 directions along this property line. The wildlife refuge is on the right side and our pine plantation is on the left. Killed a ton of stuff here over the years. Always been a productive stand, both for deer and hogs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shot this guy Saturday morning about 8:30 as he was crossing from the refuge to the pines. A loud "Meh" froze him just as he was about to step off the lane. 210yds or so from the stand, with him crossing at the spot where I snapped the pic. No idea what he was, just saw beams and times, so pretty much "draw and shoot".

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm 65 and set-up 7-9 hang-on's prior to the season. I like being elevated but I hunt off the ground sometimes if the situation calls for it. I also have a Summit climber but I don't like lugging it around and making noise climbing up and down the tree.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We have shooting houses, ladders , ground blinds and climbers. I use one ground blind on a road where I cant find a tree to suit me and my climber. But where ever possible I use my Summit Titan climber. I can sit in it all day. I usual post up on a ridge looking down in a drain, valley or bottom with some cover behind me. I only need to go high enough to be able to see over ground cover. My Titan is comfortable for me and I can sit in it most all day. Not the kind of climber you want to have to carry on your back but I have atv access to all my trees. I prefer the climber over the ground blind as I hate being inside those things. I dont mind a shooting house but they are mostly on food plots and I prefer to hunt in the woods.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I haven't taken my climber out this season at all. I'm not seeing fewer deer. I just bought an HS 8' blind. I'm liking it so far. Makes a quick change of location easy.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by moosemike

Same.... I had a nice climber years ago, but one bizarre day, it decided to go "skkkkkreeee" downwards about a foot! Talk about a pucker moment! eek Thank God for harnesses too! Mine got pulled a little more tighter obviously, causing a difficult type of turnaround, feet in the stirrups, climb back up a little ways to where I was. No idea how who what where why, no rhyme or reason, chit happens. But it was enough to make me say "F.... this..." and I sold it the next day.

Last edited by ButchA61; 11/26/22.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ButchA61
Originally Posted by moosemike

Same.... I had a nice climber years ago, but one bizarre day, it decided to go "skkkkkreeee" downwards about a foot! Talk about a pucker moment! eek Thank God for harnesses too! Mine got pulled a little more tighter obviously, causing a difficult type of turnaround, feet in the stirrups, climb back up a little ways to where I was. No idea how who what where why, no rhyme or reason, chit happens. But it was enough to make me say "F.... this..." and I sold it the next day.

Could’ve been the tree. Some trees like smooth bark hickory’s have really hard bark and the climber teeth don’t dig into it. If I’m climbing I look for white oaks, maple, or ash.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All I can say is it depends. I prefer to be elevated when possible but some spots are not conducive to a stand. In the pines I'm on the ground in the hardwoods I can usually get off the ground.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I grew up hunting on the ground. Now I’m 60% stand and 40% ground. Depends on the spot..

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 60 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.