Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
trying to figure out the best option

refrigerator ice maker line had a leak, soaked the sub floor but worse the wood floor absorbed the water and warped in front of the fridge. Over the past few months, since its a high traffic area we've kicked up some pieces. I really don't want to replace the entire floor. Its not a laminate but its looks like a veneer. Probably typical of 80's era cheap wood flooring.

Wondering if it would be worth my time trying to cut out the 4 or so pieces that are bad, replace them and stain to match.

Anyone do this?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Do a carpet overlay...

AstroTurf would be even better.

You live in Ohio... I promise you no one will be disappointed.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Call in a floor contractor. I’ve had several repaired on rental property I bought. Turns out fine.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
KF, it's worth a try to patch , you can always replace the whole floor.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
KF, it's worth a try to patch , you can always replace the whole floor.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Do it like you do, on the cheap, paint it, or put a cheap ass Menards rug over the damage .

No sense in doing it right.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
might be a video on youtube on how to do it.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by KFWA
might be a video on youtube on how to do it.
Do what?
Fix it or hide it,

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
no its very visible, been driving me crazy

but the floor feeds into the dining room and hallway so patching if it will look good is more desirable from a cost standpoint. Just don't think I'll have any lucky finding matching width/thickness so I wanted to hear what others have done.

Last edited by KFWA; 11/26/22.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Osky
Call in a floor contractor. I’ve had several repaired on rental property I bought. Turns out fine.

Osky

is it something you would have done in your own home?

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Is there any of that wood UNDER the refrigerator, or in a closet/etc, where you could pull it up to use for the patch?? THEN, put stuff that DOESN’T match (or whatever you can come up with), in the closet/under fridge/hidden area....

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Is there any of that wood UNDER the refrigerator, or in a closet/etc, where you could pull it up to use for the patch?? THEN, put stuff that DOESN’T match (or whatever you can come up with), in the closet/under fridge/hidden area....

great idea! there is some in a pantry

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

That's going to be your best option, it still wont match because of uv discoloration but will be closer than anything else.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This kind of damage should be covered under your homeowners insurance. I've replaced several floor for leaky water heaters, dishwashers, refrigerators, water line breaks etc... All under homeowners insurance.
If you have to do it out of pocket and looking for the easiest and cheapest then I agree taking the wood out from the pantry but be aware that you said the area is high traffic so the pantry wood will most likely not match the faded worn areas. It will still stands out if that's a concern. Other than that, if you have the tools and know-how then you might try to replicate the original boards but getting the stain correct will be near impossible again. But I would try that before the entire floor if it out pocket and trying to save a few bucks.

Last edited by MPat70; 11/26/22.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Patch will be extremely tough to match if you don’t have the same floor to replace it with. Especially if you don’t possess the skills and tools to do it. I’ve patched in some T&G in the middle of a floor where an island was removed. I could see it, most people couldn’t, but 32 years of experience.

Last edited by jackmountain; 11/26/22.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
yea I looked a few minutes ago and its seems like its going to be a good fit, its lengthwise in the pantry so that will help. I have an oscillating saw that should help me get it started.

Its not an exact match because of exposure but I think it should be close.

Last edited by KFWA; 11/26/22.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
No, don’t be a broke digk .replace the whole floor.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yea I looked a few minutes ago and its seems like its going to be a good fit, its lengthwise in the pantry so that will help. I have an oscillating saw that should help me get it started.

Once again, will your homeowners insurance not touch it? If not you have the wrong company IMO

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
they probably will, but its like 4 boards

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MPat70

Once again, will your homeowners insurance not touch it? If not you have the wrong company IMO
I’d look at that route first. The other option sounds like a giant PIA.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.