Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
6.5 all day. Lots of good cartridges, minimal recoil. Perfect.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DollarShort
Originally Posted by drop_point
Here’s your average F-Class “Any Rifle” (22 pound and under .35 caliber and under) 1000 yard shooter.
Rifle choice is 6XC with his 22 pound rifle. Must be a sissy?

Take a sample...most F-Class shooters shooting LR are shooting a .284 Win (or variant thereof), a 7mm SAUM, .300 WSM, .300 Winchester Magnum, etc.

6mm chamberings aren't really competitive at all at LR, but many shoe-horn them and they are mostly seen at 600. But you really didn't address any of my points, you just showed a video.

You are correct that most F-Class Open shooters use heavier calibers. Most.

I’m not saying that the OP should buy a .243 Win.

But John Whidden did.
https://www.ssusa.org/content/six-key-reasons-why-john-whidden-uses-243-win-for-long-range-shooting/

Did he though? He DID shoot a .243 Win in 2014, but does he now? John Widden is one of the best shooters in the world that could win (and has) with multiple different cartridges. He's also been BEAT by other excellent shooters using something else. I fail to see how this adds to the conversation. OP is not a gunsmith, is not asking about shooting F-Class, is not asking about a custom rifle, and is NOT considering a .243 Winchester.

Accurateshooter.com is a great resource if you'd like to discuss the merits of .243 Winchester for F-Open LR. You may also check out F-Class John, Keith at Winning in the Wind, and Erik Cortina on YouTube. They may have a few pointers on 6mm's merits at 1000 yards vs a 7mm or .308 cal.

Last edited by drop_point; 11/27/22.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Georgia deer hunting, I’d go 6.5 Creedmoor. Out west with mule deer, black bear, elk and moose, I’d settle for more bullet weight and a 308 WCF.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here’s your average F-Class “Any Rifle” (22 pound and under .35 caliber and under) 1000 yard shooter.

Take a sample...most F-Class shooters shooting LR are shooting a .284 Win (or variant thereof), a 7mm SAUM, .300 WSM, .300 Winchester Magnum, etc.

6mm chamberings aren't really competitive at all at LR, but many shoe-horn them and they are mostly seen at 600. But you really didn't address any of my points, you just showed a video.

But John Whidden did.
https://www.ssusa.org/content/six-key-reasons-why-john-whidden-uses-243-win-for-long-range-shooting/

Did he though? He DID shoot a .243 Win in 2014, but does he now? John Widden is one of the best shooters in the world that could win (and has) with multiple different cartridges. He's also been BEAT by other excellent shooters using something else. I fail to see how this adds to the conversation. OP is not a gunsmith, is not asking about shooting F-Class, is not asking about a custom rifle, and is NOT considering a .243 Winchester.

Accurateshooter.com is a great resource if you'd like to discuss the merits of .243 Winchester for F-Open LR. You may also check out F-Class John, Keith at Winning in the Wind, and Erik Cortina on YouTube. They may have a few pointers on 6mm's merits at 1000 yards vs a 7mm or .308 cal.
Are we talking about a deer gun or a target rifle?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

But John Whidden did.

Did he though? He DID shoot a .243 Win, but does he now? John Widden is one of the best shooters in the world that could win (and has) with multiple different cartridges. He's also been BEAT by other excellent shooters using something else. I fail to see how this adds to the conversation. OP is not a gunsmith, is not asking about shooting F-Class, is not asking about a custom rifle, and is NOT considering a .243 Winchester.

You are correct that competition shooting has nothing to do with hunting rifles.

But the OP did say that recoil was a factor.

And in spite of what you are comfortable with, many, including John Whidden, and quite a few other commenters here, believe they can shoot better with a lower recoiling rifle.
So I guess I might have been angling towards this aspect/advantage.

Not suggesting a 22LR or a 243. Just saying that it requires less effort for me to shoot a lower recoiling rifle well than one that has more recoil like a lightweight 308.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I got offtrack trying to make a point because the OP had said that recoil was a factor.

Sorry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

But John Whidden did.

Dollar Short seems to think the relevance of what a guy shot in F-Class eight years ago is relevant due to him saying he preferred to have less recoil for the same performance. That particular competitor no longer uses that cartridge because technology has changed.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

But John Whidden did.

Did he though? He DID shoot a .243 Win, but does he now? John Widden is one of the best shooters in the world that could win (and has) with multiple different cartridges. He's also been BEAT by other excellent shooters using something else. I fail to see how this adds to the conversation. OP is not a gunsmith, is not asking about shooting F-Class, is not asking about a custom rifle, and is NOT considering a .243 Winchester.

You are correct that competition shooting has nothing to do with hunting rifles.

And in spite of what you are comfortable with, many, including John Whidden, and quite a few other commenters here, believe they can shoot better with a lower recoiling rifle.

Not suggesting a 22LR or a 243. Just saying that it requires less effort for me to shoot a lower recoiling rifle well than one that has more recoil like a lightweight 308.

And again, that was recoil being lower with SAME performance...and a gunsmith that can change burned up barrels without issue. All this in a competition setting where HUNDREDS of rounds are shot over the course of a few days where sub-half MOA performance is needed. Then the same shooter/gunsmith has since switched as bullet technology has changed. And that's ONE shooter eight years ago. Apples and oranges. Its irrelevant to the post.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

But John Whidden did.

And again, that was recoil being lower with SAME performance...and a gunsmith that can change burned up barrels without issue. All this in a competition setting where HUNDREDS of rounds are shot over the course of a few days where sub-half MOA performance is needed. Then the same shooter/gunsmith has since switched as bullet technology has changed. And that's ONE shooter eight years ago. Apples and oranges. Its irrelevant to the post.

All I was saying is if it makes a difference in a 22 pound rifle to a top shooter than it surely makes a difference to a more average shooter with a 7 or 8 pound rifle.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 673, 17 invisible), 1,484 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,486
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.