Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
But you always move them on... lol!

My example was/is an example of 1.

Typically, threads like this expose more of the bad than the good. But I can honestly say, of all the revolvers I own/have owned, nothing "spit" like that Raging Bull did.
When I trade guns, I'm looking to trade up, not down. So yeah, I move them. But if I'm being honest, I could say the same thing about Rugers. Fantastic guns, but I never keep them. Although, it's looking up for Ruger...I may just hold on to this LCP Max for a while.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have serious sellers regret over an accurate and reliable 4" 441 from about 15 years ago.

Had a 605 that was reliable as the day is long. Damaged it in a tumble off a horse, they fixed it , no questions asked, in about a week.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The little stainless 9 shot 22 is pretty cool. A sweet trail gun that fits just right in a back pocket.

Yeah, thanks to the lightweight hammer they gotta use a too heavy spring. I clipped mine just a smidge.

I like the barrel design with built in ejector shroud and top rib. The sights are real good. And the Pachmeyr-ish grips are just right.

Say LR, but fun with shorts too.

I’m not sure how old it is. But far from new.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought a tracker 357 about 2001. Great revolver. Unfortunately it got sold years later. So I bought another about 2 years ago. I don't know or can't really explain it but the metal, material, fit, finish is just not the same as the previous. However, it shot just fine as have all my tauras revolvers. You can't beat the price for quality as their snub 38 specials

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Worked in a decent sized shop.
That sold Taurus, and quite a few.

Yup, fifteen yrs ago we had a notebook with all the send backs to Taurus. Many came back not fixed. Some went into limbo for months and then would magically show up.

Machining and material issues, possibly some design flaws....not customer caused problems.

Supposedly things got better since

The issues were real and their top dude ( which changed a couple times ) had to reassure folks.

Ive seen some Ruger, Smith and Colt screwups too.
But Taurus was the hands down winner for putting out crap.

Across diff models, from diff wholesalers, over diff times.
So was never a bad batch kinda thing.

The only ones i remember no issues with, the Beretta 92 clones.

Last edited by hookeye; 12/04/22.
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Id say a good chunk of Taurus customers having problems liked sending stuff back, evidently made em feel special.

The others would get their gun back and sell or trade into a different brand.

Being behind the counter, id not be a gun snob but if asked would offer an opinion, and explain their warranty got used, often.

Most folk's wanted to save a buck and bought em anyway. Had some folks come back and say they shoulda listened.

My old college buddy has a 66. Sloppy rear sight, that thing still going strong, no problems. But thats an OLD Taurus. Still not great, but never been bad.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
My only experience with them belonged to a friend. It was a snubby .38 with a round butt frame. It was his house gun back in the 1980s (I think he still has it). I always liked it, and handled it from time to time. Seemed well made.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hookeye
Worked in a decent sized shop.
That sold Taurus, and quite a few.

Yup, fifteen yrs ago we had a notebook with all the send backs to Taurus. Many came back not fixed. Some went into limbo for months and then would magically show up.

Machining and material issues, possibly some design flaws....not customer caused problems.

Supposedly things got better since

The issues were real and their top dude ( which changed a couple times ) had to reassure folks.

Ive seen some Ruger, Smith and Colt screwups too.
But Taurus was the hands down winner for putting out crap.

Across diff models, from diff wholesalers, over diff times.
So was never a bad batch kinda thing.

The only ones i remember no issues with, the Beretta 92 clones.

Over the years I've had five good friends who either owned gun shops or managed them. You saved me a bunch of typing with that post, which is spot-on.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the '80's I got taken to the cleaners in a divorce, and I was beyond poor. Had to sell a LOT of stuff just to keep the lights on. When I got my post divorce "sea legs", I really wanted a handgun for home defense. I picked up one of the Taurus copies of a S&W M19 for a C note. That thing was a bit ugly, but it shot every bit as well as my S&W 19's had. So for the better part of a year, that was my only handgun and it gave very good service...kinda wish I still had it...nostalgia.

I replaced it with a Taurus 92 which turned out to be an excellent pistol. Put 15k rounds of Egyptian SMG ammo through that gun, she was pretty loosy-goosy when I let her go, but I never managed to break a locking block even with 15k rounds of ammo that was way too hot for handguns.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Taurus has produced, for 15 minutes or so, several bigbore snubs that appeal to me a lot. If I find a deal on a 44 or 45 ACP I'll probably buy it, shoot the hell out of it and see if I can break it. Might as well get it out of my system. You can always part it out on fleabay & recoup most of your loss.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yeah, their 92 clone (I think Kevin told me this) is actually being made for militaries in various places in the world, which is why they hold their manufacture to the highest standards, so they generally work well.

I had one for a couple of years, but sold it when I got a Beretta. Never had a problem with it. Very smooth functioning and reliable gun. Well made.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have two Taurus small frame revolvers. A 38 Special and a 357 Mag.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
No you don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Raferman
No you don't.

Diaper Boy believes his Airsoft “guns” are real. 😂😂😂

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I appreciate all the answers people are giving. I ask because I had a couple of old Taurus revolvers back in like the early '80s the early '90s and they seemed reasonably good all were Smith copies and the bluing quality not quite as high on the triggers not quite as good but quite reasonable for the price. then oh 10 years ago maybe I bought a I can't remember the model number but I like a 2-in barrel 38 brushed nickel or stainless or it was shiny 462 might have been the correct number. The gunshot a reasonable group but about 6 in off from point of aim at only 10 yd. and after a little while it started trying to hang up when you would single action it so the timing may not have been off but it was right on the edge. and at that time there was lots of complaints about Taurus revolvers in the internet world. now they have some models that I like how they look the appearance of them but I just wonder if they're got through their. if not producing such good stuff mechanically. and I will agree on the model 92s there's times I thought they were actually better than the actual Beretta.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have had quite a few over the years. I still have a couple Ti models. A 445 in 44Spl broke the cylinder release tip off the bolt. An 85Ti had a lousy trigger, but it cleaned up nicely.

The 445 is my most common carry when fishing around bears.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the reasons that I like the stainless 441 is that it is what I always thought that the S&W 696 should have been, a 4" 5-shot clone of the S&W 66 instead of what it was. I really tried to like the 696, I had 3 of them, but decided that I liked both the 441 and the Rossi 720 better. I know, no accounting for taste. Now when I shoot .44 Special it is likely to be a S&W 329PD loaded down to 900 fps with a 240 grain hard cast SWC.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have had several of their revolvers and never had a problem, still have my Raging Hornet and love it. On a sour note, their 1911's are F-ing garbage.

"The reason a dog has so many friends, He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, But when I do so do the neighbors."
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Raferman
No you don't.

Diaper Boy believes his Airsoft “guns” are real. 😂😂😂
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Arrrrrrgh......

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I’ve had various 441 Taurus 44 Specials, that have worked well. Years ago I had a 66 that was a good gun. Still have a stainless 85, 38 special which operates just fine. Looks like the 856 (6 shot) 38 special looks like it’s going to be a winner, I like that it’s also available with a 3” barrel.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,577
Posts18,492,049
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.