Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Does the Yellowstone TV series inspire you?
Do you find Jim and Sam's posts while they work on their Montana Ranches intriguing?

This vacation rental just might be for you.

It's the only rental sitting on 10,000 acres, off grid, no touristy crap and no frills.

[Linked Image from media.vrbo.com]

It's no frills if you don't consider Mule deer in your yard and a resident herd of 600 head of Elk frills.

I use to keep 50 horses on this ranch every winter, back then there was a old cowboy that lived in this cabin, he kept watch on my stock all winter.

The cabin sits high on a bench and has a great view.

I've been through the cabin, it's nothing fancy, no bells and whistles.

Just the basics, just like its always been.

By chance I did a search on the place, ' The Whiskey Trail Ranch' just to see if it'd acquired a digital footprint, I got two hits, the VRBO listing and this from 2019...

Historic Melton Ranch buffalo round-up film

RONAN — A free screening of “A Montana Legacy: The Melton Buffalo Ranch 1948-1962,” will be shown on Thursday, April 18, 2019 at the Ronan Community Center small room at 6 p.m. and again at 7:30 p.m.

[Linked Image]
Ike Melton stands beside his ranch sign

“It’s exciting! You need a fast horse and he’s got be sure footed.” That’s how LaRue Melton enthusiastically describes riding alongside buffalo on a horse running full speed over rocky terrain during the roundup at the Whiskey Trail Ranch. The last roundup actually took five months to corral and move about 300 head of bulls, cows and calves. More than 30 individuals participated on the Saturday kickoff of the roundup in September of 1961. Five cowboys hung in to the end in mid-February, 1962 when the last bison were corralled and sent to a buyer in Wyoming. The five who hung in to the end were, Ike and LaRue Melton, Tide and Bob Darlington and Larry Christensen. Those cowboys and a few others were also on the Yellowstone National Park buffalo roundups in the 1960s.

With archival 8mm silent film and interviews with the three surviving children of Ike and Villa Melton, as well as two cowboys who participated, the film paints a vivid picture of the family and life at the Whiskey Trail Ranch. The surviving children — Nora Jean Malinak, LaRue Melton, Terry Melton, as well as Larry Christensen, Bud (Stan) Harris, Marlene Melton, Gary Abbey and Laurence Walchuk — reveal details of sure-footed horses, building corrals, trucking buffalo and Villa’s National Bison Range experience.

The film was produced by Caribou Crossing, a local media partnership and co-directed by Frank Tyro and Larry (Joe) Darlington.
DVDs of the 56-minute program will be available at the screenings.

Here is the VRBO url if it interests you, they have good reviews.
https://www.vrbo.com/935193

I'll copy and paste their VRBO write up.

$194

avg/night

Cabin (Sleeps 8)

3 bedrooms 1 bathroom

KitchenLiving RoomDeck/Patio

2 Bedrooms + loft, 1 Bathroom, Sleeps 6 + double bed in outside guest room

Right in the middle of upland bird country, this remodeled homestead cabin is nestled in the Ferry Basin on the Flathead Indian Reservation. Enjoy a private get-a-way on a privately owned 5000 acre plus 5000 acre leased cattle ranch. The cabin has 2 bedrooms plus a loft with a bed and a privacy curtain. It also has an un-attached guest room.

The cabin does NOT have a land line and there is cell service, although the weather can limit this at times.
There is a corral for guests to use if they would like to bring their own horses. This ranch is home to black bears, mule deer and about 6oo head of elk. Guests will have access to explore the entire ranch and enjoy amazing views of wildlife in their natural setting as well as some old homestead sites.

While this is not a "dude ranch", it is a working ranch with everything done on horseback and the family would welcome you to observe the different activities that take place day to day. Branding season, gathering and sorting are especially great opportunities for photography.

This "off the grid" vacation cabin is a dream destination for bird watchers and photographers. There have been returning great horned owls. It is also located right in the heart of a diligently maintained Mountain Blue Bird Trail. Along the 20 mile road to town, enjoy amazing views of the Flathead river as it cuts through the sheared off clay banks.

Just 8 miles to the Flathead River fishing access Sloan's Bridge, this is also a popular "put-in and take-out" spot for rafters. Our guests find we are a perfect proximity to all of the attractions in the Flathead. Spend a day at the Bison Range and then another at Glacier Park. Make sure you check out the fishing and recreating on Flathead lake as well.

Traveling from Yellowstone to Glacier? We are the perfect stopping point between these 2 amazing national parks. The cabin is fully furnished and equipped with a dishwasher, coffee maker, microwave, full size fridge/freezer, stove and bbq grill. It has all the bedding and towels and dishes needed for our guests. It includes a washer and dryer as well.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Very nice!

FJB & FJT
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Cool!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Righteous shed right there!
Certainly does not seem especially spendy either.....

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's very unique in its offering.
Not a place you'd just stumble across either.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
WOW! That would be a dream hunt for me. I have hunted elk with horses out of a tent several times, talk about no frills! That cabin is the Ritz in comparison.

Where I have hunted elk in AB, it's mostly very thick bush, a lot of walking, unless you have a horse and quite a few Grizz. I love seeing elk country in the USA, way prettier and open then in Canada.

Is it all on foot, or can they provide horses and guides for extra $$$? Can you even get a license if you are a Canadian?

Great post JeffA ~ KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/30/22.

KB

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'll take it.........

Nice

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Love this

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
oh that would be a nice place for a week away

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA
“It’s exciting! You need a fast horse and he’s got be sure footed.” That’s how LaRue Melton enthusiastically describes riding alongside buffalo on a horse running full speed over rocky terrain during the roundup at the Whiskey Trail Ranch.

Wow does that bring back memories of working during college on the Bison Range, not far from Ronan.

Sprinting on a horse within reach of a bull bison, trying to get them into chutes for vaccinations is an experience one doesn’t easily forget.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman
“It’s exciting! You need a fast horse and he’s got be sure footed.” That’s how LaRue Melton enthusiastically describes riding alongside buffalo on a horse running full speed over rocky terrain during the roundup at the Whiskey Trail Ranch.

Wow does that bring back memories of working during college on the Bison Range, not far from Ronan.

Sprinting on a horse within reach of a bull bison, trying to get them into chutes for vaccinations is an experience one doesn’t easily forget.

I was a cowboy too, isn't that the best way to spend a summer, on a horse on the range? I participated in branding as well, ever get kicked in the Family Jewels while branding. The only unfun thing I experienced lol

Got to work with some exceptional quarter horses, one was a famous rodeo roping champion, his name was "Famous Amos"

KB

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've been all over the ranch, it's exactly like the Bison Range but just a little smaller. It's butted up to other Ranches of similar size on all sides, no real development in the area.

I'd book my stay around Oct.1st. And hope to find those Elk in rut and bugling.

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KillerBee
WOW! That would be a dream hunt for me. I have hunted elk with horses out of a tent several times, talk about no frills! That cabin is the Ritz in comparison.

Where I have hunted elk in AB, it's mostly very thick bush, a lot of walking, unless you have a horse and quite a few Grizz. I love seeing elk country in the USA, way prettier and open then in Canada.

Is it all on foot, or can they provide horses and guides for extra $$$? Can you even get a license if you are a Canadian?

Great post JeffA ~ KB

The listing doesn't mention hunting, they'd have to be licensed for that. It'd be worth a call to ask.

They may allow you to bring a side x side along for getting around, that's another question I'd have to ask.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been all over the ranch, it's exactly like the Bison Range but just a little smaller. It's butted up to other Ranches of similar size on all sides, no real development in the areabilling.

I'd book my stay around Oct.1st. And hope to find those Elk in rut and bugling.

I am jealous, best of luck JeffA, hope you slam a giant!

KB

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Does renting it as a VRBO give visitors the right to hunt?
One would think if it did that would certainly be mentioned and no doubt more expensive to rent during that period.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know if hunting big game is allowed, it'd be worth asking.

I do know this place isn't popular in the sense that it's not booked up, I checked availability, lots of open slots.

It's outta the way, lots of gravel road to get there. Just as stated, it's in-between everything yet close to nothing.

Typical tourist looking for a place in Montana isn't going to find this. It's too far from the more popular destinations.

In the reviews one individual stated they were going back to bird hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
After seeing this thread and reliving my Cowboy days and the great horses I got to ride, it made me think of my favorite Johnny Cash song so I thought I would post it here for you guys to enjoy too.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Johnny Cash is the man!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are dreaming if you believe hunting rights come with the rental

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
http://csktnrd.org/regulations-applications

Keep in mind, if you rent the cabin you’re not in the state of Montana, per se, you are on a reservation. Any legal matters that come up on your stay would be adjudicated as such.

MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,509
Posts18,472,370
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.