Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hi folks, of the 15 people who signed up, Ive got four boxes of flys. I imagine I should wait past the Feb 1. deadline. I know Qtips are in the mail.

1Minute, Castandblast, Troutfly and Bearhunter and Qtip on the way, so far are the only ones who seem to want to play. I've PM'd everyone on the list twice, and posted a couple times here. If you know any of the fine folks left, or are such maybe a little gentle persuasion might be in order. The flys I have are beautiful, as in exhibition grade. Just awesome.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rob p
The flys I have are beautiful, as in exhibition grade. Just awesome.

That'll change soon upon reciept of mine!

I would be willing to bet that you get a bunch more in the next week, especially from AK.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Three sets here were intended for the mail... Will get them out in the next day or two. I apologize for the delay, but I was trying to find a hook large enough to tie beerhuntr's fly on! wink

Will poke a couple more right now by PM that will put us pretty close, no?
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you sir, I appreciate it.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
rob,

I'llbe sendin' ya some green in the next day or two to help off set your costs. Sometimes these things don't gel just at deadline time. Give it a little while.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
IC B2

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Houndgirl and Ned's "Griffin's Gnat and Elk Hair Caddis are here today. See if I tie you any size 20's! I can't even tie 18's

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I need to do 3 more and I'll get mine out Monday. I even have a couple just for Houndgirl and Miss Treated.

The unarmed man is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Baby Huey on the Wood River. I make this trout look small.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rob p
Baby Huey on the Wood River. I make this trout look small.

[Linked Image]

....and is that a 16 foot Smokercraft you are sitting in? grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
24' Freighter... wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
Nice pic Mongo! grin
That creek looks like perfect Woodduck cover.

Did my flies get there?

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
13" "Ocean Kayak" Prowler.

In my life I've pulled three people out of the water. I took lifesaving at the YMCA because a hot girl I knew was in the class , never worked as a lifeguard, never hooked up with her, but it did do me some good. During Hurricane Bob, people were down the beach surfing, and someone got cramped up and was hanging on to a mooring buoy 100 yards out. I heard "help" and thought I was dreaming until I saw the buoy had a head. None of the surfers wanted to go out, they were all tired, so I got my life jacket out of the truck (I get invited fishing and no one ever has jackets when I show up) and swam out and threw it in the guys face. Nervous drowning people often try to grab onto rescuers and drown them and he was a big sucker. Throwing them something that floats immediately calms them down. I got him to put an arm in it, I grabbed the other arm hole and towed the big dude in. He was cut from his crotch to his neck trying to hold on to the barnacle covered buoy.

A kid fell through the ice at a skating pond, and I walked out to get him, got close and fell in too. I threw him up on the ice and busted ice trying to haul myself out too. I'd get my elbows up, it'd break and back in I'd go. A few minutes of this and I could stand on the bottom and jump up on. Stupid thing to do though. A kid fell through trying to rescue his dog, then his Dad fell through trying to get him. The Dad died, just two towns over.

Here's the good one, the life lesson. I was fishing on a bridge over a river and the current was running. Two people in ocean kayaks were going under the bridge. Both of them went sideways and splash. One guy was out and swimming. The other was in his kayak sideways slapping the water with his paddle looking much like he was about to drown. People drown in that stretch of river every year, the currents bad. I ran down the shore, waded out and grabbed him and towed him in. Neither knew how to roll a kayak.

I always wanted one, but that episode convinced me they (traditional kayaks with spray skirts ) were a good way to drown. A few years ago, sit on top kayaks started appearing as sit down surfboards down the shore, and I thought that might be a possibility. Then I saw these big ocean models and thought they'd actually stay a float with me on them.

I put this one in the water, got in and in five seconds of paddling, water was slapping me in the twins. There are like a dozen drain holes in this thing (self bailing) and apparently when you approach the weight limit water comes up, through, and in. Being $15 a pair, they get another C - note out of you plugging the holes. I'll tell you one thing, as well, the things are not as stable as people say. A chop or a boat wake will roll you side to side and if you can't get a paddle in the water to brace yourself, dump you. There's definitely more to stability than a low center of gravity. You've got to consider the beam and the shape of the bottom.

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Qtip, if you sent them US mail, "express" in a "large envelope" they're waiting at the post office for me to pick up Monday morning. They tried to deliver them Friday and Saturday while I was working but wouldn't leave them because I had to sign for them. I left a note after the first attempt to leave them in the screen porch, but they didn't. I've got to go fetch now.

Oh yeah, wood duck cover. Excellent wood duck habitat, deer habitat, mink and otter habitat... Problem is there's houses on the shore, and a ton of recreational paddlers. I had an entire senior class at a RI high school paddle by one day in rental canoes. Fishing goes south. You've got to get there early.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took lifesaving at the YMCA because a hot girl I knew was in the class , never worked as a lifeguard, never hooked up with her, but it did do me some good.

My mother was a YMCA guard and instructor and taught the lifesaving classes. She would use me as a "test" and sit me on the diving board, acting nonchalant. After appearing to be fiddling around with the diving board and when the time was right I would "fall in" and pretend to drown. It was a test to see what the students would do. Reactions would either pass or fail them. Most would pass, but a few would not. I felt terrible aobut it, but I guess it was better than having someone who really didn't get it out there trying to save people and being ineffective.

M

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
rob
Took a poster from here out in one of those and dropped him off in the Gulf of AK, many miles from shore and drove away. He insisted on fishing that way... And he survived it! Was a beautiful flat day but it did get lumpy...
art

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Backed up a few days here, was in ANC last week for my wife'e Ordination (Lutheran Minister) My New job, (Exam for same Monday), closed on a house Thursday, moven into the new house Friday. Today, just the Installation of the New Reverend by the Bishop, and unpacking all the boxes of junk..cannot find my head, much less my head cement...overall Same 'Ol Stuff. Reguards, Bill, BTW no pm recieved as to where to send the flies(?)...Bill

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
PMs recieved, I was in error, many thanks, Bill

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hello, update time, it's Wednesday, and I've got flys from:

1Minute
Q - Tip
Houndgirl
Ned
Bearhuntr
CastandBlast
Troutfly

I went to a couple of places with big fly shops - Bass Pro Shops and Kittery Trading post to pick up a nice little surprise. I was trying to pick up a couple brown half saddles too, and both stores were out of them. I actually got a manager to tell me that Asian Bird Flu was behind it. They're not importing. I told her Whiting Farms is in the US, Arkansas I think and she said that was true but they don't have any because they aren't exporting. If Asian bird flu makes you stupid, I can think of one person who already has it.

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
rob,

You may be better off getting them by catalog/internet. Some of these "store" folks come off the street. I get most of my necks from a pro tyer that goes to all the big shows across the US and has made a few DVD's. He's a great guy and a fantastic tyer and fly-fisher. (He instructs also) Any way he seems to get great deals and is usually willing to pass some on to me. Most of the necks are Keoughs and they are really nice and much better priced. I've used a few Collins necks too. He used to sell the neck and saddle as one package and he is located in NY. I think a Goggle may turn him up.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I got some little black ants from Red Rabbit today.

sooo

1Minute
Q - Tip
Houndgirl
Ned
Bearhuntr
CastandBlast
Troutfly
Red Rabbit

Last edited by rob p; 02/07/08.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (160user, 222ND, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,822 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.