Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I like them when they are so small they fry up like chicken leg quarters

Not feral hogs, but there was a restaurant here that used to make what they called pork wings. They were bone-in small pork shanks that they cooked like Buffalo chicken wings. Like a big ol' meaty chicken wing.

They were outstanding but they don't make 'em any more. WIsh I had a source for those pork shanks.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve had those, good stuff. I personally ain’t into butchering into cuts anymore. It just meat to me, might grind some.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by las
I was going to try pig hunting in CA one time, and contacted several land owners.

Apparently they didn't have that big a pig problem because every one of them wanted a trespass fee.

I ain't paying to help out with someone else's problem.

Bad enough that I would likely have had to buy a license (never got that far) in a state that diverted sheep guzzler money to promote mt lions numbers. Too dumb to realize more guzzlers mean more wildlife, including lions.

My experience in TX was similar.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
As long as ranchers can get $500 a day from pig hunters,they are not going away

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Yeah.

Thats the thing…

Farmer / Rancher / timber man “hogs gonna be the end of me”….

Want them killed? Sure. I offer trophy hog hunting for $350 a day…..

You dont want them gone too bad….

Last yeah I went to one of the “outdoor / hunting “ shows. Vendors, guides, sporting goods .. etc..

Outffiter, semi local to me was there. Stopped to BS with him. Honestly, just curios what size deer they killed….

He said hogs were really messing him up. Destroying food plots. Eating acorns.

Cool, I’d pay a reasonble fee hunt them.

His “guaranteed to kill trophy” hunt was $500.

All you wanted……

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

I think its MO that has banned hog hunting.

Maybe just on Public land??

Take away the monetary value of them.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Yeah.

Thats the thing…

Don't confuse the two types.

Type 1 is into agriculture serious for a livelihood. Hogs threaten that livelihood, and they want them gone.
You won't find Type 1 charging for hogs. They are the ones you see asking for help controlling them though. But, they may or may not let just anyone with an AR15 in to hunt them. I don't.

Type 2 is a hunting outfitter that sells hog hunts. THEY absolutely WANT hogs. The more the better. That way they can sell more hunts.

It's sad that intelligent people can't tell the difference in someone who sells hunts, and someone who wants hogs gone because they cost them money... But I see people confuse the two all the time.

FYI... It's the ones that sell hunts that have cause much of the hog spread. Why? Because they sell hunts! They want more hogs.

But I read that all ranchers bitch about hogs, but charge you hunt them. Total BS.

Show me ONE real rancher bitching about hogs, but charging.

Show me ONE hunting outfitter bitching about the number of hogs.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Yeah.

Thats the thing…

Don't confuse the two types.

Type 1 is into agriculture serious for a livelihood. Hogs threaten that livelihood, and they want them gone.
You won't find Type 1 charging for hogs. They are the ones you see asking for help controlling them though. But, they may or may not let just anyone with an AR15 in to hunt them. I don't.

Type 2 is a hunting outfitter that sells hog hunts. THEY absolutely WANT hogs. The more the better. That way they can sell more hunts.

It's sad that intelligent people can't tell the difference in someone who sells hunts, and someone who wants hogs gone because they cost them money... But I see people confuse the two all the time.

FYI... It's the ones that sell hunts that have cause much of the hog spread. Why? Because they sell hunts! They want more hogs.

But I read that all ranchers bitch about hogs, but charge you hunt them. Total BS.

Show me ONE real rancher bitching about hogs, but charging.

Show me ONE hunting outfitter bitching about the number of hogs.

Barry nails it as per usual !!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I don't doubt it, Barry. I didn't contact folks (to my knowledge) advertising hog hunts. I contacted land owners directly, tho they may or may not have been in the business of selling hog hunts. It just wasn't apparent, perhaps.

I might have found someone who didn't require a tresspass fee had I kept at it- I just wasn't THAT interested.

Also, there is the landowner's liability and damage concerns related to some bozo they don't know. Can't blame them for that.

Their land, they can run it anyway they want, but I don't have to pay to play in their sandbox.

Unless I want to.

Did some google and found this. applies to all states tho.

Related
What part of Texas has the most wild pigs?
The Texas legislature.

Last edited by las; 12/03/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
I don't doubt it, Barry. I didn't contact folks (to my knowledge) advertising hog hunts. I contacted land owners directly, tho they may or may not have been in the business of selling hog hunts. It just wasn't apparent, perhaps.

I might have found someone who didn't require a tresspass fee had I kept at it- I just wasn't THAT interested.

Also, there is the landowner's liability and damage concerns related to some bozo they don't know. Can't blame them for that.

Their land, they can run it anyway they want, but I don't have to pay to play in their sandbox.

Unless I want to.

Lots of ranches that lease the hunting for deer let the hunters hunt hogs too. Many turn away other hunters if that's part of the deal. But if they don't do the hogs some damage, I've had them call me to come kill hogs. Usually after deer season is over, as to not interfere with deer hunting. My hog hunting land picks up quite a bit after deer season ends. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don’t blame the land owners too much, property taxes are so high a fella has to make ends.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There are many hunters that would rather kill a big hog than a big deer, what ever floats your boat is ok with me. Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RIO7
There are many hunters that would rather kill a big hog than a big deer, what ever floats your boat is ok with me. Rio7

I was/am one of those folk. A big lone boar is smarter and a better challenge than an old buck. I learned just how quiet you need to be and I also learned to call them up with the help of Glen Guess
and Convergent calls.

I also discovered a pair of your woman’s dirty panties and a bottle of her piss will get you a trophy. Wish I were joking but I ain’t!

I’m actually an expert now.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 12/03/22.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I read a couple other things, too. One guy has permission to hunt several properties, each with it's own restrictions and requirements. He says he has a 95% refusal rate when asking.

Another guy made note that folks (like rockinbar's clients perhaps), don't want guys like me to come out and shoot one hog and leave for parts unknown, or one or two a year for bacon and chops. They want guys that will come out once or twice a month and shoot a dozen or more, when feasible. Makes sense too.

Certainly not someone who bought an AR and two 30 round magazines yesterday....

I don't own an AR, by the way.... smile

Last edited by las; 12/03/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have met very few folks that have a high multiple kill rate on a sounder at one time. They usually scatter so fast most average shooters don’t get a second shot.

Conditions have to be right.

My highest one time kill is 17 with a single shot 12 gauge chasing them around a valley.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 12/03/22.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by las
Certainly not someone who bought an AR and two 30 round magazines yesterday....

I don't own an AR, by the way.... smile

I don't blame you, I stay away from those things too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are thousands of feral hogs around where I sit right now, all on public land. There is no agricultural or supplemental feeding. There are a few hardcore kids with dogs and mud boats that hunt them a little, but switch cane marsh is hell to navigate. About the only ones that die are the ones you see crossing the highway every night.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
There are thousands of feral hogs around where I sit right now, all on public land. There is no agricultural or supplemental feeding. There are a few hardcore kids with dogs and mud boats that hunt them a little, but switch cane marsh is hell to navigate. About the only ones that die are the ones you see crossing the highway every night.

Hogs killed that woman in her driveway out that way couple years ago.

Probably the largest hog concentration in Texas is north of Bolivar Peninsula.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

AR, comes in handy when shooting pigs, Rio7

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RIO7
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

AR, comes in handy when shooting pigs, Rio7

Yep. One lives in my truck for exactly that reason. And on the Ranger too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Purdy

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 79S, 907brass, 8 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,296
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.