Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Mrfixit Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
And I'm back again....After my last update I had great plans about getting in and knocking this out. And then I got Covid. That was not terrible but walking more than from the chair to the kitchen was all I could do. I've never felt so fatigued in my life. But I'm better and got a little bit done;

One of the things I worked on was the trigger. I have a drop in Bold trigger that doesn't work. I'm not sure why, it's 'new' or I should say "new old stock". I've had it in a drawer in the package for years. Interestingly the factory Mauser two-stage trigger that came with this receiver when I got it has been smoothed up some. After putting in place and playing with it some, both my son and me feel it's a nice trigger so that's what's being used in this build. To that end I stoned it a bit and turned my attention to the underside of the receiver where the trigger bears. It was pretty rough.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That's after I had run a diamond stone over it some. To the right toward the tang you can get an idea what it was like originally. I sanded with some wet or dry paper and a flat metal backer from 180 grit through about 400 grit. I think this will be better:

GB1

Mrfixit Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm not going to lie I've been hesitant to do some of the metal work, specifically working on the hinged trigger guard conversion and latch. I've never done one and I want to do it well. But it was time to do it. I started with the floor plate. I ended up drilling the exiting hole for the release larger, then turned a piece of steel rod to make a press fit plug.

Then filing and sanding it down. Having a plug allowed me to drill a new hole the size I wanted. In my case since I was making a swivel latch it allowed me a little more room to fit the locking tab. The other thing the plug did was leave a relatively flat base under the lever instead of the lever overhanging the bevel on the back of the floor plate.
and after sanding:

I relocated the through hole in the floor plate, I made it .180" diameter. Then I made a lever with a one piece stud to go through the floorplate. And then I turned a 'tab' that would fit on the stud, sanded 2 flats on the side and pinned it to the stud with a 1/16" roll pin. The tab is a pretty close fit and was pressed tightly before pinning. I'm hoping the friction of the fit will keep it in place.

Mrfixit Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I also fitted the 3 position safety. In this case I didn't have to take anything off the cocking piece. I did have to make the lever fit, it was dragging a bit on the cocking piece so just a bit of sanding with the dreaded Dremel tool made it right.

And once it was all in place working the safety pulls the cocking piece off the sear;
In the fire position:

and in both safe positions:

Mrfixit Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The last bit of progress I have made so far is working on the hinge part of the magazine floorplate conversion. I cut a 1/4" slot in the trigger guard, and I'm working on the metal piece to solder to the floorplate.

I hope to have that done one night this week. I'm about to turn back to the stock and work on finishing it. I still need to wet sand the epoxy so I can put the Tru Oil on. Before doing that I plan to "glass bed" the action and short section of the barrel.

I am really torn on the checkering. This guns needs and deserves nice checkering. But, I'm not sure I can do it. Part of me says I can and part of me knows how easy it would be to really make it look bad. I've got a couple of other stocks, leftovers from a 10/22 and the stock that came with this action originally, I do intend to practice before I decide for or against doing it myself.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the update!

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Very nice and am really liking this thread, thank you!

If I missed it, I apologize. Will you be reinforcing the wrist area of the second stock? In over 50 years of using rifles, I've broke 2 stocks, both at the wrist, both clumsy me!

Best to you and take care.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Mrfixit Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Dean, Im sorry I've missed your question for so long. Yes I reinforced the wrist with a 3/8" piece of all thread drilled from the grip cap.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (300s, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 338rcm, 300_savage, 48 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,620
Posts18,474,002
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.