Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://abc11.com/moore-county-powe...urce=ground.news&utm_medium=referral

One of the talking heads ponders if it was in protest of a larger drag queen show (which was able to continue in case you care).

How much sophistication does it take to know what to shoot on a power substation?

Gunfire takes out power substations in Moore Co.; prompts State of emergency, curfew, closed schools

Sunday, December 4, 2022 8:36PM

MOORE COUNTY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Thousands of people in Moore County are still without power after the sheriff said someone attacked two power substations Saturday.

According to the sheriff's office, the outages began just after 7 p.m. Saturday when the two Duke Energy stations were intentionally targeted with gunfire.

Approximately 38,000 people lost power and were forced to deal with the freezing temperatures Overnight Saturday, and will again overnight Sunday.

Sheriff Ronnie Fields said the Town of Southern Pines is completely without power. According to the latest census data, the population is about 16,000 people.

The county has declared a state of emergency and opened a shelter in Carthage that can accommodate 250 people.

Moore County Schools announced Sunday afternoon that all schools will be closed Monday due to widespread power outages. Officials say an announcement will be made Monday evening to inform parents and staff of schools status on Tuesday.

Sheriff Ronnie Fields said the mass outage is currently believed to have been caused by a criminal act.

During a new conference Sunday afternoon Sheriff Fields announced, the FBI and state authorities have joined the investigation into the Moore County power outages, and a countywide curfew has been issued from 9:00 p.m. to 5 a.m.

He said his deputies are looking into whether there's a link to a drag show Saturday night in Moore County, but there are no immediate connections to the drag show.

Sheriff Fields said as of Sunday, no individual or group has stepped forward to acknowledge responsibility.

"It's a very serious situation," Fields said. "We're living in some challenging times. We're dealing with things we never thought we'd be dealing with."

Drag Show in Moore County continued Saturday night despite mass power outage

The show went on for an audience attending a drag show in Moore County during a mass power outage Saturday night.

Two substations were heavily damaged during the incident. Duke Energy says they will need to bring in special equipment and crews to complete the repairs.

The Duke Energy Outage Map initially reported that power was expected to be restored by 10 p.m. Sunday, but then a Duke Energy representative said Sunday afternoon that the company was unsure when the power would be restored and it may not be until Thursday due to the unusual nature of the outage.

Public safety officials in Moore County asked those affected in a tweet Saturday to refrain from calling 911 to report a power outage.

Here's how the county is responding so far

Moore County is operating under a state of emergency
Curfew in place from 9:00 p.m. until 5:00 a.m.
Moore County Schools (MCS) are closed Monday
The school system issued statement on the school closing:
"Moore County has suffered a major power outage affecting most of the county. Although some schools in the northern and central part of the county may have power, all school operations are impacted by this power outage. Therefore, all schools will be closed tomorrow, Monday, December 5, for students and staff. An announcement will be made tomorrow evening to inform parents and staff of the status of schools for Tuesday."

Businesses are unable to open, leaving owners and workers in limbo.

Red Cross shelter opened at 4 pm

Moore County shelter operated by the Red Cross is located at the Moore County Sports Complex; the Recreation Center 155 Hillcrest Park Lane in Carthage. For more information you can call 910-947-6317.

Moore County Transportation Services will operate to transport clients scheduled for dialysis, chemotherapy, and radiation treatments only.

All other Moore County Operations are cancelled with a plan to expand operations that will function on Tuesday, December 6.

With traffic lights inoperable, Fire Chief Mike Cameron told ABC News the fire department has received numerous calls for accidents at intersections. Firefighters have also been responding to more than the usual carbon monoxide alarms as people turn to alternative forms of heat. There have also been numerous medical calls, particularly from people with home oxygen or oxygen generators.

Anyone with information about what happened is asked to contact the Moore County Sheriff's Office at 910-947-2931.

Please don't feed the trolls!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bummer

GOA
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
bummer

Yeah but the interesting question seems to be drunken idiots or terrorists...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a firm believer that EVERY household should have backup heat for winter outages (in this case criminal behavior). I have a heat pump for my main heat but I also have a propane heater for backup. If shît get to bad then I have a wood stove in the shop that I can always for up.

If this truly was in response to a fàgqueen event then I most definitely disapprove. I fuçking hat fàgqueens and all they stand for but putting a city with thousands of people out of power is beyond criminal in my opinion. There are too many people that depends on electric for medical equipment and no kid should go to bed freezing, period!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I can’t imagine a bs show like that in Moore County.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by MPat70
I'm a firm believer that EVERY household should have backup heat for winter outages (in this case criminal behavior). I have a heat pump for my main heat but I also have a propane heater for backup. If shît get to bad then I have a wood stove in the shop that I can always for up.

If this truly was in response to a fàgqueen event then I most definitely disapprove. I fuçking hat fàgqueens and all they stand for but putting a city with thousands of people out of power is beyond criminal in my opinion. There are too many people that depends on electric for medical equipment and no kid should go to bed freezing, period!

Agree
I lived in Utah many many years ago and it was reported that a Bird flew into a substation in Idaho and knocked the power down in 4 States.
The power was out for well over 24 hours.

I had a Little 4000 watt Colman Generator and gas on hand.
We fired that little generator up and ran extension cords to several neighbors for their refrigerators so we did not loose our food.
We had a New Born across the street from us and the guy was an Electrician we ran a cord across the street so he could put a fan on the baby.

He did the calc's and said we could put one more Refrigerator on that Generator but we had run out of Extension cords.

For some reason my neighbors started liking me after that outage.

I have always had Generators on hand and try and keep gas on hand to feed them.
As well as some food and water.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Here we are worried about our infrastructure being attacked by an EMP or something sophisticated but little did we know that Bubba with his 30-30 was able to easily take out the grid with a couple of rounds. 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wouldn't it be simpler to just kneecap the drag q u e e r s and not mess with the power grid?

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Wouldn't it be simpler to just kneecap the drag q u e e r s and not mess with the power grid?

This^^^^^^

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
And then the political discussions start on sniper rifles.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lucky shot or did someone with the knowledge of the station who knew just where to hit?

Still a sad deal all around.

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Duke power is saying it might be Thursday before the power is back on for some. I've read that spare parts for the grid are in short supply... given our current general supply chain gaps this could become a bigger deal.

The looters will see this as a black Sunday event.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
It was just a [bleep] doing [bleep] things id bet

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Why the hell is [bleep] censored here? What if i was writing about jane goodall or some national geographic special?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
People are such wimps. We lose power here for anywhere from a few hours to a few days 3-4 times a year. Was out for 5 days this past April when a storm dumped 14" of wet snow that brought down trees and power lines across several counties. Not a big deal.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Probably some environmental protest a la antifa.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Where is FEMA…..where is the National Guard?

That was what I heard on the radio in the July 2016 flood in WV. After only 18 hours.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It’s amazing people can’t go a day.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We lose power here frequently. We’ve had a generator and it runs everything but I gotta start it and keep it fueled so we decided that it makes sense as we get older to make life easier so we’ll be getting an automatic standby propane generator soon.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ElAhrairah
Why the hell is [bleep] censored here? What if i was writing about jane goodall or some national geographic special?
Right? Like “Do you think Jane Goodall ever [bleep] any of those [bleep] ?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,798
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.