Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Time is money. Ammo is money. Frustration is stress. I could go on....

I think it’ll be alright, but honestly, I’m not gonna spend boxes and boxes of $30 ammo, multiple range trips, trips to the shipper, getting angry——-on a $399 gun, that could easily bring $350 plus in trade. It’ll either smooth out, or..

It’s like a relationship. You don’t toss it after the first hiccup, but if it looks like it’s going to be more time/frustration/stress, than love/fun, you move on. (This is dating, not marriage. It’s a Phillipines 1911, not great-grandad’s 1873 Winchester.)

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Each person looks at things a bit differently, I suppose. A gun’s value to me is not determined by how much I paid for it, which probably explains why I still have so many guns I won’t/can’t sell because they’re worth more to me than I can get for them.

Every day’s an adventure.
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by fburgtx

I think it’ll be alright, but honestly, I’m not gonna spend boxes and boxes of $30 ammo, multiple range trips, trips to the shipper, getting angry——-on a $399 gun, that could easily bring $350 plus in trade. It’ll either smooth out, or..

It’s like a relationship. You don’t toss it after the first hiccup, but if it looks like it’s going to be more time/frustration/stress, than love/fun, you move on. (This is dating, not marriage. It’s a Phillipines 1911, not great-grandad’s 1873 Winchester.)

Do you handload? I wouldn’t own a 10mm if I didn’t.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by fburgtx

Do you handload? I wouldn’t own a 10mm if I didn’t.

Not for 10mm. My other 2 10mm’s are Glocks. Enough unsupported chamber, and stories about Glocks/reloads, that I’m not gonna mess with it. Not as long as Underwood is carrying some premium ammo that does what I need, at prices that are still fair.

Yeah, lots of guys do fine with reloads in Glocks, or I could get aftermarket barrels, but just not worth the fuss for something I use to shoot at the occasional hog.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How long does it take to fully trust a pistol that had a FF or a couple of FF? It could only be a matter of life and death.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
F
Trigger pull was 5 and a half pounds and crisp. Changed the sear spring out to a Colt factory spring. Trigger pull is 3 and a half pounds!!!!! Factory spring must have come off a Russian tractor or tank. Too windy to go shoot it.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by frank500
Trigger pull was 5 and a half pounds and crisp. Changed the sear spring out to a Colt factory spring. Trigger pull is 3 and a half pounds!!!!! Factory spring must have come off a Russian tractor or tank.
It was between 4 and 6 pounds, so within factory specs. If it comes in at less than 4 or more than 6, the factory assembler is authorized to simply modify the sear spring till it makes spec. Normally no need to swap springs. The more experienced assemblers can set them at about 4-1/4 pounds, if they so choose, even when using only the 4 and 6 pound test weights.

Every day’s an adventure.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
How long does it take to fully trust a pistol that had a FF or a couple of FF? It could only be a matter of life and death.

RIA’s info available on the web says their 1911’s aren’t “broken in” until you hit 500 rds. Kimber says the same. For a 10mm, that’s about $300 worth of ammo. Only paid $399 for the gun, so the thought of running $300 of ammo through it to “work the bugs out”, doesn’t really appeal to me.

Not something I’d want to hear (“500 rd break-in”), on something I intended to carry for self-defense, being urged/expected to simply “ignore” feeding issues up to that point.

Others may have different goals for this gun. For me, it’s an occasional hog gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any new reports?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
As of last week another 100 through it and mine is fine. It is a very tightly built piece.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by EdM
As of last week another 100 through it and mine is fine. It is a very tightly built piece.

Glad to hear it. I contacted RIA, to see what service they’d offer on mine, before attempting to trade it off. To their credit, they sent me a paid Fedex label, to return it. That’s been over a month ago. We’ll see if it works, or doesn’t, upon its’ return...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Final update:

Took exactly 6 weeks to get the gun back from Armscor/RIA. RIA paid shipping both ways. The included note was vague to the point of annoyance.

“Customer concerns verified and repaired. New parts installed and fitted, tuned, lubed, and test fired.”

No clue WHAT parts were installed (nothing obvious). No clue WHAT was repaired. Called, and got nothing but automated hold, over and over. Email unanswered, after more than a week.

Only OBVIOUS thing, is they kept the KCI brand mag I sent it in with (the gun came with TWO of these, I tried both of them, gun had issues with both). They sent it back with what appears to be a Metalform brand 8-shot mag. The follower of the Metalform is much different from the KCI.

Took the gun out, and ran 3-4 mags through it. It seems to run fine, now. No issues to speak of..

Happy that it runs well. A bit unhappy that it appears it took them 6 weeks to simply test it with a different mag from the junk KCI mags they included with the gun. It appears that what they sell on their website are ALSO Metalform’s, and not KCI brand. Apparently they KNOW the KCI’s aren’t great.

Also of note, these KCI mags are sold as 45 mags. Their packages were marked as such, but RIA included a note with the owners manual that, despite this marking, they said WOULD function in a 10mm. These KCI are a $10 mag, online. The Metalform are a $25-$30 mag. Obviously, a cost-cutting measure.

So, I’ll be sure to let folks know IF they ever contact me regarding any other work that may have been done to the gun, but for NOW, it appears that it was a mag issue, “fixed” by using a better quality mag than the two that were included with the gun.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've read of RIA fans desiring a reason to return a gun.
Supposedly, they go over the gun and tune everything up.

Do you notice anything in the trigger, or just overall function?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I've read of RIA fans desiring a reason to return a gun.
Supposedly, they go over the gun and tune everything up.

Do you notice anything in the trigger, or just overall function?

The trigger was pretty decent to begin with. I didn’t gauge it before sending it off, so hard to say if or they did to the trigger. Perhaps a bit less creep.

After removing the slide, it looks as if the recoil spring MAY have been replaced. This one has a paint marking which I don’t think was on the original. I don’t notice any obvious work to the slide stop or feed ramp.

I’ll email again, to see if I can get any details. Wish I had other info to share, other than the obvious issue with the magazine.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,540
Posts18,472,850
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.