Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I would argue that any ideas of Privacy these days is merely a supposition.

Not suggesting that we make it easy for them, but at the end of the day, someone, somewhere is monitoring everything digital.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I tried downloading the Windows 10 system onto a thumb drive from an old Windows 7 computer. I kept getting error messages so everything would stop and I found no useable information about fixing the problems. I do have a Windows 10 lap top I rarely use. I am currently down loading the Windows 10 program onto the thumb drive and I got NO errors messages.

The reason I am so persistent getting the Windows 10 downloaded to a thumb drive I is have 3 computers to update. One is a 2009 Samsung NC10. It's a small lap top I took to Afghanistan with me. I have nothing to lose if the update doesn't work. The other 2 are used daily. One by my wife and she is very reluctant to give it up. So, one computer is practice and the 2nd computer is the back up computer but the 3rd is the one my wife uses and she is not very happy about losing Windows 7.

If Windows 10 won't work on the NC10, it's getting a linex system. The other 2 computers I'd like to update. The backup computer might get a Linex system if Windows 10 commits suicide. But the one my wife uses might get an upgrade to 11 whether the wife likes it or not.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I may, you're going the long way around the tree. The best way is to have a computer with an internet connection and zero files that need to be saved.
Microsoft likely has a huge library of computers with hardware just like yours they have already updated 10's of thousands of times successfully. I would just let them update it and it will likely be painless.

When windows installs initially it is looking at your specific hardware and the software generally won't have to be overwritten at a later date.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Buy a Mac and never look back

kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sawbuck
If I may, you're going the long way around the tree. The best way is to have a computer with an internet connection and zero files that need to be saved.
Microsoft likely has a huge library of computers with hardware just like yours they have already updated 10's of thousands of times successfully. I would just let them update it and it will likely be painless.

When windows installs initially it is looking at your specific hardware and the software generally won't have to be overwritten at a later date.

The NC10 has no files I need to save. The other 2 will have files that need saved. I'm not sure what you are getting at. I tried to download the windows 10 onto the NC 10 but I kept getting error messages. There is a program you have to download and have running to download the windows 10 files. It's that first program that down loads and when you RUN it, it only works for a few seconds and then the error message. It's always error message 0X80072F8F-0X20000. I could never find a way to fix it.

I have tomorrow afternoon off. I'm going to try to upload the windows 10 program to the NC10. Hopefully, it works out.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay, that error usually stems from registry errors or the like.

Download W10 to a thumb drive and boot your computer from the drive. Once it boots from the drive you shouldn't get anything like that. Sorry if that is what you are already doing. It's difficult to know exactly via forum.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About the OP's question - it was easy for me. I turned it on one morning and found that Microsoft had done it for me, want it or not. It never gave me any problems.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
KWG, put Zorin Core on that NC10 and let your wife play with it for a while. You'll very soon be a Linux family.

Rock Chuck, that's the whole problem with Microsoft. THEY control your computer; you don't.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If it wasn't for the error message this would all be done. I can't find the fix to the error message after searching google, other than paying for a monthly charge for driver updates. You would think it would be simple but I'm just not finding that fix. My guess is Microsoft wants you to go buy the Windows 10 disc for $139.

Rocky, I wish it were that easy. She can be stubborn and hard headed, especially when it comes to computers. It's the "old dog new trick" thing.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 12/08/22.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know. My wife was the same way. "I don't want to try to learn something all new." But her Windows machine kept futzing up (largely due to her own messing around - but don't let her know that) until I finally convinced her to let me install Mint.

She hardly noticed any difference. Except that Mint just works; no bobbles, no freezeups, no "Windows is updating, do not interrupt" frustrations. She even had no difficulty with using LibreOffice instead of MS Office. All her elaborate tax record spreadsheets imported perfectly, and she has no trouble working with them.

If yours likes W-7, she'll be right at home with Zorin Core, which has much of the same look and feel. Except that it will run faster, cleaner, with no malware danger, and with her in complete control.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kwg020
If it wasn't for the error message this would all be done. I can't find the fix to the error message after searching google, other than paying for a monthly charge for driver updates. You would think it would be simple but I'm just not finding that fix. My guess is Microsoft wants you to go buy the Windows 10 disc for $139.

Rocky, I wish it were that easy. She can be stubborn and hard headed, especially when it comes to computers. It's the "old dog new trick" thing.

kwg
I suspect that this problem is some kind of malware holding your computer hostage. MS doesn't charge for updating drivers. If you haven't done it, download and run a couple different anti-virus programs, like Malwarebytes.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I did it 2 years ago on a Dell tower that was about 10 years old. Everything went smooth as far as I can remember. The best advice I can give is to make sure you do a complete system backup onto an external USB hard drive with a way to restore, before you attempt the upgrade. That way you can always go back in case things go south.
But as it has already been stated, the 32 bit may be a stumbling block for you. I don't remember all the min requirements.

Last edited by Cretch; 12/08/22.

3825 24336
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think that W10 will run on a 32-bit machine. AFAIK, the only two choices are to run it as-is or convert it to Linux. Conversion is vastly better.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I don't think that W10 will run on a 32-bit machine. AFAIK, the only two choices are to run it as-is or convert it to Linux. Conversion is vastly better.
Yes it does. I have it on an old machine running some software that won't run on a 64 bit machine.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

Here’s your fix.

Media Creation Tool Error 0x80072F8F – 0x20000 in Windows 7/8

Fix] Media Creation Tool Error 0x80072F8F – 0x20000

To resolve the Media Creation Tool Error 0x80072F8F – 0x20000 error on Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers, enable the TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 protocols. Follow these steps to do so:

Method 1: Enable TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 via the registry (Windows 7 & 8)

Make sure your system is fully updated.
Open Notepad.
Copy the following lines into Notepad.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\WinHttp]
"DefaultSecureProtocols"=dword:00000a00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\WinHttp]
"DefaultSecureProtocols"=dword:00000a00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Client]
"DisabledByDefault"=dword:00000000
"Enabled"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client]
"DisabledByDefault"=dword:00000000
"Enabled"=dword:00000001
Save the file with a .reg extension β€” e.g., enable_tls.reg
Double-click the enable_tls.reg file to apply the settings into the registry. Click Yes when asked for confirmation.
If you’re using Windows 7, download the KB3140245 package (TLS 1.1/1.2 enablement update) from Microsoft and install it. This step may not be needed for Windows 8.
Restart Windows.
Download registry files: If you wish to download premade registry file(s), download enable-tls.zip. Unzip and run the enclosed file enable_tls.reg. To reverse/undo the setting to Windows 7/8 defaults, run the undo.reg registry file.

Method 2: Easy Fix (for Windows 7 only)

The above registry fix was created incorporating the suggestions in the Microsoft article titled Update to enable TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 as default secure protocols in WinHTTP

The article talks about the Microsoft Update with will enable TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 support via KB3140245 package. Here are the instructions:

Download the KB3140245 package. Don’t run it yet.
Download the β€œEasy Fix” executable via the above link (direct download) and run it. The fix will create the DefaultSecureProtocols registry value which is a prerequisite for the Microsoft update.
Now run the KB3140245 .msi package you downloaded in Step 1.
This automatically enables TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 on the computer.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Should add if you are running win8.0 you have to upgrade to 8.1 with SP1 installed. Win 8.0 has the wrong architecture so incompatible with 10.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Next caveat, if you are running Win 7or 8 or 8.1 the upgrade has to have come from MS either by Windows update or in Win8’s case the Windows store, which means it was delivered to a licensed copy eligible for upgrade. This in turn gives a permanent license to 10. In 2025 when 10 goes dead the upgrades as outlined above will continue to function as normal, the ones as being done like above will either have to buy a license @139.00 or the software will cease to function 1 year after the final update.

Per Microsoft.

Swifty
kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What is this Save the file with a .reg extension β€” e.g., enable_tls.reg thing you talk of Swifty ??

kwg

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Yes it does. I have it on an old machine running some software that won't run on a 64 bit machine.

Result from a search engine:

Windows 10 can run on both 32-bit and 64-bit processor architectures. If you have a computer with a 32-bit setup, you can upgrade to the 64-bit version without acquiring a new license.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm still debating upgrading from XP. Hard pass for me.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

316 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 27 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,016
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.