-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used to love going to the big pits when I was younger. I never saw any fist fights or arguments at least not at the events. There was no guns, alcohol or drugs allowed and the guys running the place would send you packing if they seen you with anything. It was a family friendly place with concessions and all kinds of gamecock merchandise, chickens and occasionally livestock guardian puppies. Kids run around outside playing games, women set in big groups chatting and the men mostly set around the pits BS'ing and betting a few bucks between themselves on the fights. If you pulled up and didn't know better you would think it was a big community get together.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bkraft
I tried it for a while, but I bruised too easy.

"They call me 'Helicoptor'".

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We had some guys attempt to rob a big ring here in TN several years back. It didn’t work out to well. It seems off duty deputies liked to partake in the cock fights on their days off! grin

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I really dont like the knives or gaffs, But like watching them fight barefoot,conditioned stags and roosters are warriors,,,Friend of mine used to keep 4-5 stags or roosters and bunch of select hens at my farm to free range on horse apples and cowpies, kept the yard tick free,and no worries about caterpillers and such getting close to the garden,, was hell on baby snakes too, Girlfriend pulled up one time and let her little mix breed dog out and it went after some 2-3 week old chicks, and that hen rode that dog like a cowboy back to the house flappin and aflogging,, sumbitch was as screamin like it was stabbed with a knife

I AM AMERICA!
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
[quote=gunzo]One place 20-30 miles from me got busted a few years back. It had 2 levels of seating, and a bar & grill.

Edmonson county?

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Amos_Moses
[quote=gunzo]One place 20-30 miles from me got busted a few years back. It had 2 levels of seating, and a bar & grill.

Edmonson county?
I bet they had the freshest chicken sandwiches in the entire county laugh

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my high school math teacher got busted for cock fighting. They came into school and walked him out in cuffs. Never saw him again. Don't know if he went to jail or they fired him or?

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Used to be ratty trailer over in Claw Hammer, raised game cocks. Bout a hundred blue barrels out back.

Had a set of truck balls hangin off the mailbox

I got one for $25 and turned it loose on some ornery leghorn I had that was chasin the kids. LOL

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Amos_Moses

Edmonson county?

No, quite a bit further east. But they're all over.

Blue plastic barrels cut in half with a cut out for a door seem to be the preferred Cock house. Can see 20-40 of them on a hillside during a country drive here.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Mississippi in the 80s. Went to a fight. In a National forest was a permanent fighting arena with bleacher and the works. I could hardly believe it since I was from up north. Edk

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Never saw a cock fight, but it is fun to watch two standard farm roosters go at it.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Never saw a cock fight, but it is fun to watch two standard farm roosters go at it.

Growing up, my old Dominicker, Jake, was the baddest dude around. He kept good order in the barn yard.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IIRC, many years ago there was an article in the Wall Street Journal about life in WV coal country. Part of the article mentioned that a local sheriff turned a blind eye to cock fighting. Some city folks got wind of it and was giving the sheriff grief about not shutting it down. The sheriff's reasoning was that he would rather the roosters kill each other than the miners kill each other.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A cousin’s brother in law up in Vermont gave us a rooster and some hens to my family up in NY State. The rooster was a handsome bird, with comb and wattles and spurs trimmed off for the pit. The Spurs grew back of course.

That rooster watched over his small harem of barred rocks, Rhode Island reds and game hens. If you stuck a hand in his face like another rooster he would crouch and spread his ruff and jump at you, never aggressive to humans otherwise. They were all free range, at feeding time those game hens would fly in flapping and gliding from 100 yards out three feet off the ground.

A few years back here in Texas I had a student whose family bred them, the roosters out back tethered individually to their little A frame huts. Consequently they shot a bunch of raptors each year, every one that was drawn in by all that prey. One time he showed me a photo on his phone of him and his brothers holding up a dead bald eagle by its outstretched wings.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
They used to fight chickens in Oklahoma big time when I was growing up there as a kid. I think a lot of it’s been shut down.

Thanks, Billy
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (35, 2UP, 44mc, 264mag, 338rcm, 20 invisible), 1,627 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,965
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.