-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think you are the first guy on 24hourCampfire that has ever admitted that it was him and not the rifle. Good on you, easy to fix (and fun) - just shoot more.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
A bi-pod is not going to affect POI unless it is making the stock contact the barrel and screwing with the harmonics. Or your rifle is not properly glass bedded. You could be causing your whole barreled action to shift in the stock, if that is the case. One of the reasons I always glass bed my rifles. Things like this should be sorted out at the range long before you ever take a pop shot at a critter. 1 foot off is a huge discrimination in POI shift. Also, you say your rifle was "dead on". I hope that is not like some of the targets I see here, as none of them are ever dead on. Or I should say, very few. Dead on sighted in on a rock??

He held the left leg of the bipod firmly! That would most certainly produce a hit to the right of point of aim likely by a noticeable margin. It was not the tripod that made the shot miss point of aim, it was how the tripod was used. Everything must remain nuetral

Edited to say I should have read all the comments first. This has already been stated I guess this is just a reconfirm

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 12/14/22.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I can't imagine it would shift that far
Maybe just the wrong load or something

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

257Bob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Turns out to be shooter error!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That happens!!

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Turns out to be shooter error!

In my experience and observations a great many, if not most, things blamed on guns, loads, scopes, etc are most often shooter error, but human nature being such as it is very few folks will admit they were the cause.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
... I was shooting my rifle out of a shooting house (doe, 147 yards) and my shot was about a foot to the right. The rifle was dead on, was not dropped or bumped to my knowledge ...

Was the deer moving at all? I once shot a bear at 97 yards while he was walking profile left to right - with a 300gr NP moving at 2,750 out the muzzle. I hit both lungs and he dropped instantly, but the bullet hit about 8 inches to the left of where I was aiming.

I did the math. The bullet took 0.113 second to get to the bear (per ballistics calculator).
8” = 0.667 ft.
0.667 ft / 0.113 sec. = 5.9 ft/s = 4.0 mph.

So, the bear walking just 4 mph (which seems about right) would travel 8” before the bullet struck him at 100 yards.

257Bob Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I shot a pronghorn years ago that was walking, about 250 yards, was shooting a 240 Wby, hit him a bit back but still a clean kill...learned my lesson about walking game, especially as the distance increases.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
The target was a large male rottweiler harrassing my livestock.
Rifle was a Win 70 classic in 264, loaded with a Nosler 100 gr bt at 3200 fps.

Distance, right at 200 yds. The dog thought he was in tbe clear and had come out of cover. He was trotting L to R.

I was prone on the bipod. I put the crosshair right on the point of his nose and touched the trigger.

The bullet hit well behind his ears, solidly in his neck for an instant kill.

No, I don't even try to shoot running game.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If there is any discernable recoil , if one leg is free to move and the other catches a bit it may shift impact. Think about shooting off a tailgate. If one leg catches a ridge and the other does not, the result will not be a spendid shoot , same with a window frame.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A bipod is harder to control. This is especially true off the bench. Any torque introduced by the shooter or the rifle under recoil will cause the rifle to move off alignment. Another example would be extending a leg and holding it when standing or kneeling. Practice is important with bipods. (Even if you are firing an automatic weapon. smile )

Because there are two legs, you have to apply equal pressure on both. When firing off the ground, "trenching" a bipod is suggested in the field when shooting rifles. Getting both legs into the ground and applying a little forward pressure helps tremendously. You want to restrict the movement of the legs while under recoil.

When firing off a bench, the easiest and cheapest way to achieve this is with a bag of sand. Benches are hard and the rifle will hop under recoil. To minimize this, you need to apply forward pressure onto the bipod to get the legs pressing into the sandbag. This reduces the "jump".

You might also wish to avoid any tall bipods. The higher off the dirt you get with a bipod makes it considerably less stable and almost impossible to control for accurate fire.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
A bi-pod is not going to affect POI unless it is making the stock contact the barrel and screwing with the harmonics. Or your rifle is not properly glass bedded. You could be causing your whole barreled action to shift in the stock, if that is the case. One of the reasons I always glass bed my rifles. Things like this should be sorted out at the range long before you ever take a pop shot at a critter. 1 foot off is a huge discrimination in POI shift. Also, you say your rifle was "dead on". I hope that is not like some of the targets I see here, as none of them are ever dead on. Or I should say, very few. Dead on sighted in on a rock??

He held the left leg of the bipod firmly! That would most certainly produce a hit to the right of point of aim likely by a noticeable margin. It was not the tripod that made the shot miss point of aim, it was how the tripod was used. Everything must remain nuetral

Edited to say I should have read all the comments first. This has already been stated I guess this is just a reconfirm

Trystan

Bull fu cking schidt. If there was a 1 foot POI shift it was SHOOTER ERROR. Pretty easy to figure out. If you guys are getting POI shift when you use your bi pods, you rifles are a POS and need some work. Also you shooting skills suck donkey balls. Sorry, but the truth hurts sometimes..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I made it to the range yesterday and 1) the rifle is dead-on, no POI shift from travel and 2) replicated shooting position/hold with bipod and no shift of POI so it comes down to shooter error. The thing that gets me most is that I was very deliberate in my shooting, took my time. The rifle is one I recently built, DIY Tenacity/Proof pre-fit/McMillan and it's a good shooter. Until recently, I used a Win 70 7mm RM and can't remember ever missing with that rifle. The conclusion is that I need to practice more under field shooting conditions.

That there about sums it up^^^^

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
A bipod is harder to control. This is especially true off the bench. Any torque introduced by the shooter or the rifle under recoil will cause the rifle to move off alignment. Another example would be extending a leg and holding it when standing or kneeling. Practice is important with bipods. (Even if you are firing an automatic weapon. smile )

Because there are two legs, you have to apply equal pressure on both. When firing off the ground, "trenching" a bipod is suggested in the field when shooting rifles. Getting both legs into the ground and applying a little forward pressure helps tremendously. You want to restrict the movement of the legs while under recoil.

When firing off a bench, the easiest and cheapest way to achieve this is with a bag of sand. Benches are hard and the rifle will hop under recoil. To minimize this, you need to apply forward pressure onto the bipod to get the legs pressing into the sandbag. This reduces the "jump".

You might also wish to avoid any tall bipods. The higher off the dirt you get with a bipod makes it considerably less stable and almost impossible to control for accurate fire.

Some of you guys have no clue. You need to get out there and shoot more. Then you may actually figure schidt out.. If you are getting POI shifts, your mechanical system is flawed. Fix that and shoot again. If you are still getting POI shift, you are doing something wrong. Very easy to figure this out. Regards..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wyoming260
If there is any discernable recoil , if one leg is free to move and the other catches a bit it may shift impact. Think about shooting off a tailgate. If one leg catches a ridge and the other does not, the result will not be a spendid shoot , same with a window frame.

That is shooter error. You guys need more practice. You damn sure don't know how to shoot or give advice.. You learn how to shoot and it will be like a lightbulb going off. Some guys will never get it though. Then some of you (I mean most of you) get buck fever so bad, you don't even know what is going on. I guarantee it.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,304
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.